It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Visual D'niJ
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 pm 

A story from Ktahdn:

"While my career as a public D'niJ started in Until Uru, the idea started forming long before that. I'd go for hikes in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, take photographs on slide film, and then invite friends over for dinner and slides. I'd play some music to accompany the slide show.

"Playing music in the Cavern is an invitation to make our own images. Through the years I put on road trips, Silk Road caravans, and other kinds of shows for which the audience provided all the props and scenery. This became a natural part of each show, and I still do it. "/me hands Wyvvy a box of cookies so he won't faint on the trail." Straight out of Uru, there, even with the ability to make things that Second Life grants. Imagination is wonderfully flexible.

"I am, however, still a photographer. The camera has changed from that 60s-era Instamatic to a modern digital single-lens reflex but the motivation is the same. Subject matter becomes broader with increased capability, and this year I've taken up more macro photography because it shows astonishing beauty that my elderly naked eye misses. The friends and the dinners have disappeared while the images remain, with new ones being added. They're hidden away on hard disks.

"A few years ago, two friends of mine in SL collaborated on a photo exhibition at Juli's New Kadath Lighthouse Gallery. Until then the photos I'd seen imported to Second Life were bad. Juli's processing of Mel's images opened my eyes to what can be done by someone who knows what she's doing, and I was inspired to import some of my own photos and place them on the walls of my Secret Music Lab.

"That worked well enough that I kept refining the process. That led to a friend of mine making a beach art gallery where I could place sculptures and flat images for background information. A little later, Tai'lahr offered a deal whereby anyone could get what she called a "Starseeker Auto-rotate Imager." Curious, I sent her some images and got the imager. I discovered that this is a device that acts like a digital photo frame: Load my images into it, and it shows them one by one, cycling through the set endlessly. I promptly set one up to show images I'd take at the weekly Mieville dance.

"A few weeks later, light gradually dawned. Imager... auto-rotate... timer... SLIDE SHOW! I dusted off those old hard disks, found many of my macro photos of flowers, uploaded them to SL and put them into the imager. A few nights later I put on my first 'son et lumiere' show (since about 1976) for Music Night: California wildflowers accompanying Vaughan Williams' "Pastoral" symphony. We liked it.

"Tai, keen observer of operations and inveterate tinkerer, soon introduced an improved model of the imager that allowed more control. Our continuing dialogue brought about more refinement, which led to development of the first public presentation: A California Road Trip... with scenery.

"This has led far beyond the concept of those mid-1970s slide shows. You take a step down the path, without knowing where it leads. Around a corner, between two trees, across a swale, over a ridge, and you realize you're far from where you started. Just as Mr. Baggins found, you are changed. The visual playlist has its own details in the design principles but many core concepts are shared: transitions, continuity, variations, surprises. There is also no need for music and images to tell the same story. I don't know if all musical playlists are suitable for visual accompaniment, and it's self-limiting in any case because an effective slide show requires many slides, which take time to accumulate. Imagination will not be replaced.

"Further explorations are in order. My practice is still founded in the music. Visuals are a nice addition that, so far, has not overwhelmed conversation or music. I'm a little worried that I'm becoming too much of a showman. Time will tell."
--Ktahdn

(posted here for historical continuity)

Post subject: Re: The Visual D'niJ
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:28 pm 

Something about the images-and-music idea kept itching in my memory. Eventually the itch drove a search for information on the Photo Quests in early 2008.

MigoShieldwalker wrote:
Hi everybody.

First of all, I'd like to thank my friend, 4runner, for starting this post.

The idea for the PhotoQuest was started by two dear friends of mine, and has truly been a joy to help. When my friend first came to me and said, "Let me pass something by you...".......I was thrilled, and knew we could all have some fun.
I am very excited about all the interest and participation from the community. I am but a small part of the effort.

We had many details and challenges to work out. Three Galleries will post the 4 pictures to the their particular hood imager every 15 minutes, as Brett stated. The text image that preceeds the images is the 'program' message, so that totals 5 images at once. The program is the text that lists the participating photographer with the 'found' image.

I must say I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. The beauty of the ages, that we all love, has been captured in some wonderful and creative photos I am sure you all will enjoy.

Shorah

My only role in this was to provide music that people could listen to as they viewed the three galleries. The organizers and I got to talking about music. I was thinking jazz that I thought would go with the venues, or classical that would suit the elegant theme. I ended up being split and unable to decide, so I asked. "Jazz, or classical?" Their answer: "Yes."

Both types of music have, for me, strong visual associations. Ideas that had been, until then, formless, needed more organization. How do different types of music co-exist in the same playlist, and work within a larger theme?

What I learned about assembling a wide-ranging playlist in the Photo Quest sets, I still use to this day. Especially in the new sets of music that accompany images.