It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Has any of this ever been discussed? Couldn't find anything with the search button. I'll link to a couple of sketches from Robyn's blog, a couple of which I had seen before, but with no captions.

First is this, from an "unused Myst project":

http://www.robynmiller.net/frngxiyorbpx ... uggk89webi

At first glance it could be thought to be an early design for Myst, but there are some interesting details - in the map, the rocket appears to be broken. The Channelwood tree also looks like it fell down and partially smashed the planetarium. Also on the map, there's a couple of red lines radiating from the observatory that seem to imply that it can look into an entirely different place (some kind of imager technology?). The sketch below the map appears to show a dramatic decline in sea level (corroborated by the map, that has a couple of "new" islands around Myst), somewhat reminiscent of Gehn's 233rd (did I get that right?) age.

Next are the sketches I had already seen in the past, but now they have some interesting captions that label these images as concept art for "Myst - Euphoria".

Euphie Village
http://www.robynmiller.net/td2hdrf1y76c ... qxlkkaw2t5

Garternay (!), at the end of time
http://www.robynmiller.net/ow1eb07sjr3i ... jrpvob88w9

The Euphoria moon rising
http://www.robynmiller.net/cxkjctzx4jhj ... gij4ht2kbc

Myst Euphoria - concept sketch
http://www.robynmiller.net/2017/3/5/mnk ... ynj53pdjxo

I tried googling these keywords, but found nothing else.

Any thoughts? The "Euphoria" sketches are somewhat reminiscent of Rivenese architecture, but as I recall, Riven's early codename was Equiquay. Could these be a hint of what they were planning for their next game, before Robyn decided to leave Cyan and Rand set out to make Mudpie (the proto-Uru)?

Last edited by joaopedro on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Interesting find, joaopedro!

The "Garternay (!), at the end of time" and "The Euphoria moon rising" sketches look like Gehn's Fifth Age in Riven to me.

Btw, I think there's an extra "2017/3/5/" in your last link to "Myst Euphoria - concept sketch" but I found it at http://www.robynmiller.net/2017/3/5/mnk ... ynj53pdjxo

Thanks for sharing this great find!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Fixed the link, thanks! BTW, the "(!)" was an addition by me, just because I don't believe we had ever seen any images of Garternay before (apart from the sketch on Gehn's clock, which is rumoured to be a map of Garternay).

Also, a couple more interesting tidbits from the file names of the pictures: the image that is captioned simply as concept sketch is "hollowed", the Euphie Village is "tree+Dwelling+Pods2", and the Myst Island image is called "Myst+VR+Proposal".

So these are clearly different projects. I stand by my idea that Myst Euphoria is what a Cyan-made Myst 3 could have been; it may have dealt deeply with D'ni lore, as evidenced by concept art of Garternay, and would also feature a new age.

But the other image is clearly something recent. That it is labeled an "unused Myst project" makes me think that it is actually an abandoned proposal for Myst VR, which might have dealt with a run-down version of the beloved island, before the project took the more safe path of being an embellished version of the original game (as shown on the Art of Cyan pdf).

EDIT:
And here's some additional analysis of "broken Myst":
*The dock is partially destroyed, and the sunken ship is a bit further away from it, possibly as a consequence of the drop in water level. The broken purple line in the "Myst Island B" drawing seems to show where the water level used to be.
*The Mechanical Age gears are not a dead-end, like in Myst; there's a path with steps that goes beyond it, reaching into some corridor or tunnel that reaches into the mountain. Also, there appears to be some kind of tunnel (faint grey outline) that connects the mountain to a couple of entirely new buildings in the southeastern area of Myst.
*The garden in front of the Library seems a bit off, but I can't really tell what exactly is going on in there
*There are Blue and Red dots inside the library, which of course are the prison books. This suggests that this is not a future state of Myst island, but rather a re-imagining of the original game - which makes me think back to some old RAWA post in which he stated that Cyan would someday like to make an updated version of Myst that was less gamey and more "real", so they would include the living quarters for Atrus' family, etc. I even seem to recall him saying that such housing spaces were underground, in a level of the library elevator that was "disabled" in the game. This seems to fit with the caves that we can see below the island in the concept sketch.
*Also, this could mean that the other map that is shown inside the observatory field of vision is the "real" version of Selenitic (it seems to be pointed at the rocket). Those winding paths and corridors could be the walkable maze that was supposed to exist in place of the mazerunner.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I actually think that the wedge of "other map" is just meant to be the lower portion of the island.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

The fact that it's a wedge implies that you can see that view from the lighthouse. Perhaps a future-decayed version of Myst which you can view with special equipment, and then later enter.

This is consonant with the idea that it's a Myst VR project, where you'd want to design interesting point-of-view mechanics.

Note that the static URL of the image is https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... oposal.png .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have to disagree. Look closely, there's a dotted line where you would expect the outline of Myst to be. The innermost solid outline extends just a little way beyond, but roughly follows the dotted outline, which clearly corresponds to the edge of the upper portion of the island.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:02 pm 

This concept art reminds me that Cyan was once in talks with Disney to develop a Myst Island park, but the idea never got past the planning stages. Dammit, Disney, aren't you supposed to make dreams come true?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

In case anyone is interested, Robyn has shared a few tidbits of information on twitter. This all sounds a little weird and would directly contradict Myst IV, but who knows, maybe this is truly what Myst/Euphoria is all about

https://twitter.com/tinselman/status/838540075935805440

"My new website up, containing a few treats, like this design for a Myst that never was. http://www.robynmiller.net/ "

"An unknown time in #Myst history: Atrus finds himself back on the island. A powerful force has escaped out of the "void" (the starry expanse): it's his sons, misshapen (monstrous) after years of entrapment: their primal impulse: find and devour pages of the books."

"Atrus (and a cast of characters) is forced to fight against his sons. But he also comes to the realization that he's guilty for their disastrous end."

"The above is about the "Myst Island" thread of the show. There was also the related "Euphoria" narrative. Same characters, but this part of the story excited me even more."

Someone asked "Was this for the Myst TV series concept you pitched one time?", and he replied:

"Right. Euphoria was the TV show."

BTW, I should note that the links I had previously put up are now dead, and I haven't been able to find where exactly in the new website the images are supposed to be found.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

That...really sounds kinda lame :/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Glad someones celebrating April Fools.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:

I realized that after posting. His tweets are from March 9th though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:29 am 
Obduction Backer

joaopedro wrote:
Tomala wrote:

I realized that after posting. His tweets are from March 9th though

I assumed that the April Fools' joke was to make people think it was an April Fools' joke. :twisted:

I've never really understood the appeal of bringing Sirrus and Achenar back (and the devouring pages thing sounds...odd). Exploring their past could be interesting, or how Atrus and Catherine deal with the aftermath, but dragging the brothers back for another round of villainy strikes me as repetitive, in Myst IV or otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Honestly I feel Atrus and Co are played out at this point. The exception possibly being Yeesha and her journey to D'ni and the Bahro stuff.

I'd love to see more games set in the D'niverse just with other characters.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Maybe that was the whole point of Myst V:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Atrus and Yeesha walk off into the sunset (so to speak), the sole survivors of their family.
Personally, I'd like to know where the brothers and Catherine are buried.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall