It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:48 am 

Alright folks, things have finally been sorted out! Your moderator for this Saturday at 13:00 KI time in Kirel is your friendly neighborhood Cavern Crier Nev'yn!

You can PM him here on the forums with requests for time and in-game the day of the meeting. If all goes well, I should hopefully be back for December's AGM.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:42 pm 

Just a quick update from me, at current, the list of speakers are as follows:

Jamie
Zeke
KathAveara
GoMe

Please send me a PM if I've missed anyone, or somebody else needs to be added.
Thanks so much for your time, and see ya' Saturday

Unrelated, Korov'ev will you have some time to meet with me after the meeting?
Just let me know! Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Sure... this time I should be able to attend :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:38 pm 

Just a quick reminder, the AGM starts in a little under half and hour.

Heading down to Kirel now...See ya' there!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:29 am 

November's All Guilds Meeting, expertly hosted by Nev'yn, is logged and ready for your reading approval!

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/con ... ember-2015

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:59 am 
Obduction Backer

I did a few tests on the chat (you know, late night craziness), here are some trivia I found out:

• The longest text that can be typed is 494 characters long, including spaces
  • At maximum size, the chat holds about 10 lines of 73 characters each, including spaces
  • At minimum size, the chat holds about 15 lines of 178 characters each, including spaces

From that, considering the ability to copy/paste text in the chat, a suggestion for future speakers is to prepare the text beforehand and break it down in blocks of about 150–200 characters, so that the speech stands out from the eventual chitchat while not being too long to read. Of course, you shouldn’t copy/paste like a machine gun :wink:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thank you, Nev'yn for hosting the AGM. You did a wonderful job under extremely difficult circumstances. Thank you for the quick turnaround on the chatlog, Doobes. And, thank you, korovev for the information on copy/paste.

Copy & paste is a good idea for all the speakers to use. Write it up in advance, split it up into reasonable sized sections, put it in a text file, and have that open during your presentation.

Autoshout (/autoshout) is also a good idea for all speakers. Many people farther away from the stage missed much of Jamie's presentation until he enabled autoshout. And, because they were unaware that he had begun, it became very confusing when others responded to him.

Adding to the confusion was the arrival of latecomers who should have entered quietly and listened to see what was going on, but instead just started talking as if they were the most important thing in the room. I recognized many of these names as long time members of the community who should have known better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:35 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Tai'lahr wrote:
Autoshout (/autoshout) is also a good idea for all speakers. Many people farther away from the stage missed much of Jamie's presentation until he enabled autoshout. And, because they were unaware that he had begun, it became very confusing when others responded to him.

Hmm... I thought the "Community Rooms" didn't need /autoshout and that everyone in the room should be able to "hear" everyone else? :?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Mac_Fife wrote:
I thought the "Community Rooms" didn't need /autoshout and that everyone in the room should be able to "hear" everyone else? :?
I thought that, too, and typically it is true, but (perhaps due to a weak connection), Jamie's words were not reaching the back of the room this time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've never heard that there were any special game mechanics in the community room. It's usually just a matter of how close avatars are to each other -- that room causes people to stay within a set range. However, since numbers make a difference too, distance is no guarantee that everyone will see your chat. When I'm text chatting in a tour, I always use autoshout no matter where we are.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Once there are above approximately 8 people in the age, only those within >< will hear you... No matter what location you are in. The autoshout/shout bug is currently being removed in modern versions of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:13 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

OK, I've obviously been labouring under some long-standing misapprehension on that then. :roll: I guess it's the physical dimensions of the community room that meant that most of the time it appeared that everyone in the room was within earshot of any speaker.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:45 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Adding to the confusion was the arrival of latecomers who should have entered quietly and listened to see what was going on, but instead just started talking as if they were the most important thing in the room. I recognized many of these names as long time members of the community who should have known better.

I knew I should have armed Nev with the tranq gun. GoMe standard issue, you know. ;)

And yeah, had to edit out a LOT of unrelated stuff from the cleansed version of the chatlog, but for those curious, it's all in the raw log, which was untouched (except for editing out PMs to and from Nev'yn).

I'm quite curious if some of them do that in real life, too: just pop into a crowded meeting room and go "Hai guyz! Whatcha doin'!?!?!?!????" :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Doobes2 wrote:
I'm quite curious if some of them do that in real life, too: just pop into a crowded meeting room and go "Hai guyz! Whatcha doin'!?!?!?!????" :P

Believe you me, it happens a lot in schools. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Autoshout shouldn't have to be a thing. Not sure why a standard chat that covers the entire area (Age) couldn't have been used. It never made sense that a communication device that can span across multiple universes can't allow a person in the Ferry Terminal to talk to someone over at the Library ಠ_ಠ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next