It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radio Free D'ni
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:20 am 
Obduction Backer

There will be a Radio Free D'ni broadcast on Saturday 20th December (this Saturday) at 13:00 KI time :)

As the solstice is almost upon us, we will present our Christmas show, with some festive tracks from Ed, Mal and I - covering styles from pop to classical by way of jazz, folk, and all stations between.

The post-show set will include the Vocalese, A Cappella and Unexpected Instruments tracks that I did not get uploaded in time for the previous show.

Saturday 20th December (NOT the usual Sunday)

13:00 KI, Ae'gura plaza.

Put http://aegura.harriman4.com/8000.php in your browser to select the way you want to listen to us
or
plug http://aegura.harriman4.com:8000/stream.mp3 into your audio player of choice: works with Winamp and VLC player

See you there. Bring Holly - she never turns up on her own :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Tracklist for the Christmas Show :)

Code:
Preshow:
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Manhattan Transfer The Christmas Album 1992
Angels From The Realms of Glory        Rick Wakeman       Christmas Variations 2000
Tune for a Blythsome Turkey            The Albion Band    Christmas Album 1999
Stille Nacht                           Three Tenors       Celebration Of Christmas 1996
Winter Song                            Chris Rea          Auberge 1991
The Spirit of Christmas Past           Enya               And Winter Came 2008

The Show
Run Rudolph Run                        Chuck Berry               Single 1958
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Chicago                   Chicago Christmas:
                                                                      What's It Going To Be, Santa? 1998
A Christmas Song                       Jethro Tull               The Jethro Tull Christmas Album 2003
Pavane                                 Jethro Tull               The Jethro Tull Christmas Album 2003
Ring Out Solstice Bells                Jethro Tull               The Jethro Tull Christmas Album 2003
I Believe in Father Christmas          ELP                       I Believe in Father Christmas 1995
It Snows in Heaven Too                 Annie Haslam              It Snows in Heaven Too 2000
Sleigh Ride                            Carpenters                Christmas Collection 1998
Joys of Christmas                      Chris Rea                 Dancing with Strangers 1987
Mistress for Christmas                 AC/DC                     The Razor's Edge 1990
Deck the Halls                         Yellowjackets             Peace Round 2003
G*d Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen            Oscar Peterson            An Oscar Peterson Christmas 1995
Carol Of The Bells                     Al Jarreau                Christmas 2008
Danse Of The Sugar Plum Fairies        Béla Fleck                Jingle All The Way 2008
                                              And The Flecktones
The Christmas Song                     Larry Carlton             Christmas at My House 1995
What Child Is This/Dyngyldai           Béla Fleck                Jingle All The Way 2008
                                              And The Flecktones
Das Fest Der Wintersonne               Hagalaz' Runedance     The Winds That Sang Of Midgard's Fate 2008
                  (Ein Weihnachtslied)
Feuer in der Nacht                     Godewind                  Zauberlicht 1994
Cranbrook                              Kate Rusby                While Mortals Sleep 2011
Let No Man Come Into This Hall         The Albion Band           Christmas Album 1999
Christmas Has Come Round Again         The Albion Band           Christmas Album 1999
Wassail!                               Johnny Coppin             A Country Christmas 1995
Past Three O'Clock                     Johnny Coppin             A Country Christmas 1995
The King                               Steeleye Span             Please To See The King 1971
In the Bleak Midwinter                 Steeleye Span             Winter 2005
Gaudete (Piae Cantiones 1582)          The Sixteen             An Early English Christmas Collection 2004
Away in a Manger                       Polyphony, Stephen Layton A Christmas Present from Polyphony 2004
For unto us a child is born            Tavener Choir & Players   Andrew Parrott/Handel/Messiah 1996
Little Drummer Boy                     Pentatonix                2014

Post-show
Fionnghuala                            Bothy Band              Old Hag You Have Killed Me 1976
Rock and Roll Woman                    Decameron               Mammoth Special 1974
Sygyt                                  Huun Huur Tu            Live 2011
Kargyraa                               Huun Huur Tu            Live 2011
Find The Cost Of Freedom               Gilmour, Crosby, Nash   Remember the Night 2006
King Henry's Madrigal                  Jethro Tull           20 years of Jethro Tull(1)             1988
                                                                    - The Radio Archives and Rare Tracks
Break it Down                          Tony Levin              Resonator 2006

Thanks to all our listeners, I'm glad you've enjoyed our shows so far, and there is more to come in 2015 :) Have a merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Last edited by AlanD on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's a wonderful playlist, AlanD ... unfortunately I missed this one as I would've enjoyed it a lot, I believe (I don't listen much to all this rock and jazz music and such lol) ... :P

Here's a playlist containing 99 christmassy tunes you can all listen to on the internet while surfing e.g. ... Inspired by your playlist, AlanD, I was wondering if it was still available and I was astounded that it still really exists ... So, enjoy, if you like ... Merry Christmas, everyone ...:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you for the compliment, Janaba (blush) To be fair I should warn you that the first section (up to and including Mistress for Christmas) was mostly pop/rock and the second (Deck The Halls to What Child Is This/Dyngyldai) was jazz, then we had folk, accoustic and electric (Das Fest Der Wintersonne to In the Bleak Midwinter) and finished with classical. The idea was to find some festive tracks that were ones you'd not usually hear, but were still good to listen to...

Now you've made me think about seeing if we can put the playlist on auto-repeat for the week following the show... Hmmm

While you wait for that, here's our Christmas Tree

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/a ... b22e1b.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ohhh, that's a beautiful one, AlanD ... :P

Jazzy or Rock/Pop christmas music is ok for me, I like it even, and those are contained in the playlist I've posted too ... they are even more beautiful than sung in a traditional style ... :)

The idea for providing an auto-repeat playlist is an interesting one ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Apologies for the lateness of this post and for not being with you for this show, which was presented by Mal on the 11th.

Code:
01  Break On Through (To The Other Side)    The Doors   The Doors   1967
02  Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)               The Doors   The Doors   1967
03  Back Door Man                           The Doors   The Doors   1967
04  End Of The Night                        The Doors   The Doors   1967
05  Light My Fire                           The Doors   The Doors   1967
06  Strange Days                            The Doors   Strange Days   1967
07  Horse Latitudes                         The Doors   Strange Days   1967
08  My Eyes Have Seen You                   The Doors   Strange Days   1967
09  People Are Strange                      The Doors   Strange Days   1967
10  Hello, I Love You                       The Doors   Waiting for the Sun   1968
11  Love Street                             The Doors   Waiting for the Sun   1968
12  Spanish Caravan                         The Doors   Waiting for the Sun   1968
13  Touch Me                                The Doors   The Soft Parade   1969
14  Runnin' Blue                            The Doors   The Soft Parade   1969
15  You Make Me Real                        The Doors   Morrison Hotel   1970
16  Awake                      Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
17  Ghost Song                 Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
18  Dawn's Highway             Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
19  Newborn Awakening          Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
20  Peace Frog                              The Doors   Morrison Hotel   1970
21  Blue Sunday                             The Doors   Morrison Hotel   1970
22  Land Ho!                                The Doors   Morrison Hotel   1970
23  The Changeling                          The Doors   L.A. Woman   1971
24  Love Her Madly                          The Doors   L.A. Woman   1971
25  L.A. Woman                              The Doors   L.A. Woman   1971
26  The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) The Doors   L.A. Woman   1971
27  American Night             Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
28  Roadhouse Blues            Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
29  The World On Fire          Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
30  The Hitchhiker             Jim Morrison+The Doors   An American Prayer   1978
31  Riders on the Storm                     The Doors   L.A. Woman   1971

The "An American Prayer" album is a combination of Jim Morrison's poetry, read by him, with musical backing written and added by the remaining Doors after Morrison's death.

Despite my inattention and lack of advertising we still had 13 listeners at peak. Thanks for being with us :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 am 
Obduction Backer

And to follow up, an announcement of the next show :) This Sunday (25th January 2015) Radio Free D'ni will broadcast a set of Rarities and What-If's, collected by Mal. I hope to be present this time, although recovering from a cold: but the viruses will stay on my side of the microphone.

1300 KI (that's 8 pm UK time) - meet in the Ae'gura plaza as usual.

Two weeks later it will be the weekend of the MOULa 5th Anniversary, and Radio Free D'ni will be part of the weekends event, broadcasting on Sunday. So far there is a collection of live music taken from various Jools Holland's BBC " - Later" shows, and some Turjan/Piboc/Myst-game soundtrack and Peter Gabriel tracks. Check the 5th Anniversary thread for a schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

The coming weekend sees the fifth anniversary of the most recent revival of Myst Online: Uru Live (again) or MOULa. There will be events all weekend, and Radio Free D'ni will fill a slot from 5pm to 10 pm on Sunday.

Edison, Malaclypse and I will have some soundtrack numbers from the various Myst-universe games, as well as music in a similar vein from former explorers Turjan (Alain Pachins) and Piboc |(Olivier Maurey), and maybe a track or two from Peter Gabriel.

Mal has some New Wave stuff to play for us, and I have a set of live performances, mostly from this past year, as chosen by Jools Holland. Artists will include

Joss Stone
William Bell
Ruby Turner
Ed Sheeran
Joan Armatrading
Paloma Faith
Paolo Nutini
Clean Bandit
Kwabs
Counting Crows
Boz Scaggs
The The
Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
David Sanborn
Paul Rodgers
Bobby McFerrin

1000 - 1500 KI (that is 5 pm to 10 pm UK time) on Sunday 8th February.
Go to http://aegura.harriman4.com/8000.php in your browser, or
plug http://aegura.harriman4.com:8000/stream.mp3 into your audio player

Last edited by AlanD on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlanD wrote:
5 pm to 10 pm on Sunday 8th February.

Can you give us all the KI time?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ooops :oops: sorry Charura, and I usually go by KI time first.... Edited. Thanks for catching my mistake :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tracklist from the Radio Free D'ni set on Sunday 8th February 2015 as part of the MOUL 5th Anniversary celebrations

Code:
MOUL 5th Annniversary special

01  Link                                         Robyn Miller    Riven OST 1998
02  Myst Theme                                   Robyn Miller    Myst OST  1998
03  Theme From Amateria                          Jack Wall       Myst III Exile OST   2001
04  Main Theme                                   Jack Wall       Myst IV Revelation OST   2004
05  Great Shaft                                  Tim Larkin      Myst V End of Ages Soundtrack   2005
06  L'Age des Sons                               Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons   2010
07  1des100 et la crevasse du volcan             Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons   2010
08  De la nuit de Minkata aux etoiles de Riven   Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons   2010
09  Soline et le desert de Minkata               Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons   2010
10  Le Korvahkh, Genese d'un Livre               Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons 2   2013
11  Elyme et les spheres d'Ahnonay               Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons   2010
12  Inception, l'Age de la Creation              Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons 2   2013
13  L'Exil de Garternay                          Olivier Maurey  L'Age des Sons 2   2013
14  Shock The Monkey                             Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel 4   2002
15  Shaking The Tree                             Peter Gabriel    Shaking the Tree   1990
16  Burn You Up, Burn You Down                   Peter Gabriel   Big Blue Ball   2008
17  A Striped Circle                             Aylahn          Striped Circle   2013
18  I See You                                    Aylahn          Striped Circle   2013
19  Dessent                                      Turjan Aylahn   Tadjinar   2008
20  Prolepsis 1                                  Turjan Aylahn   Prolepsis   2011
21  Prolepsis 2                                  Turjan Aylahn   Prolepsis   2011
22  A egyek mogott                               Turjan Aylahn   Iljù Svarsas   2011
23  Hovern Enkan                                 Turjan Aylahn   Iljù Svarsas   2011
24  Relena Kodogloen                             D'Marnah   Liquid Light   2012
25  Tsoidtahv Ahnoets                            D'Marnah   Liquid Light   2012
26  Roon Gahro                                   D'Marnah   Liquid Light   2012
27  Nomades                                      Turjan Aylahn   Tadjinar   2008
28  Desert Night                                 Turjan Aylahn   Tadjinar   2008
29  Sand & Moonrise                              Turjan Aylahn   Tadjinar   2008

Gandalf

01  Bridge of Confidence              Gandalf   Colors of a New Dawn   2004
02  In the Presence of Angels         Gandalf   Colors of a New Dawn   2004
03  Brighter Than a Star              Gandalf   Colors of a New Dawn   2004
04  A Seed Dreaming Inside            Gandalf   Lotus Land   2007
05  Just a Glimpse of Paradise        Gandalf   Lotus Land   2007
06  A Heavenly Gift                   Gandalf   Lotus Land   2007
07  Morning at the River Bench        Gandalf   Sacred River   2006
08  Confidently Floating Seawards     Gandalf   Sacred River   2006
09  Where the River Joins the Ocean   Gandalf   Sacred River   2006
10  Once In a Star-Brightened Night   Gandalf   Sanctuary   2009
11  A Place In the Sun                Gandalf   Sanctuary   2009

"...Later"

01  Letting Me Down            Joss Stone + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenannny 2014
                                   Appears on the new Jools Holland album, "Sirens of Song"
02  Free Me                    Joss Stone   live performance, Later   2014
                                   The album version is on "Colour Me Free!", 2009
03  Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen     Joss Stone + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenanny 2014
04  Happy                      William Bell + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   First released as a single on the Stax label in 1969
05  Private Number             William Bell & Joss Stone + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Hootenanny 2014
                                   First released as a single with Judy Clay in 1968
06  Peace In The Valley        Ruby Turner + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   Written for Mahalia Jackson in 1937 and covered by many since then.
07  Master Blaster (Jammin)    Ed Sheeran + Jools Holland R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   Original by Stevie Wonder, on "Hotter Than July", 1980
08  Sing                       Ed Sheeran   Jools Hollands Hootenanny 2014
                                   Written by Ed with Pharrel Williams, the track is on his second album,
                                  x (apparently you pronounce that as "multiply"). Great performance.
09  Love And Affection         Joan Armatrading   live performance, Later   2007
                                   Originally released as a track on "Joan Armatrading", her third album,
                                   in 1976.  Thirty years later she still sounds just as good.
10  Ready For The Good Life    Paloma Faith   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   The album track is on "A Perfect Contradiction", 2014
11  Take Me                    Paloma Faith   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   Also from  "A Perfect Contradiction", 2014
12  Scream (Funk My Life Up)   Paolo Nutini   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   Album track is on "Caustic Love", 2014
13  Pencil Full Of Lead        Paolo Nutini   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   Original track is on "Sunny Side Up", 2009
14  Blame It On The Boogie     Ellie Goulding + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   Originally by The Jacksons on "Destiny", 1978.  Yes, it's Disco :)
15  Rather Be                  Clean Bandit featuring Jess Glynne + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra,
                                                                                        Hootenanny 2014
                                   Also a track on their 2014 album, "New Eyes"
16  Wrong or Right             Kwabs   live performance, Later   2014
                                   He has no albums yet (why not, he's great) but has released EP's,
                                   is a track on his first, also entitled "Wrong or Right", from 2012
17  Earthquake Driver          Counting Crows   live performance, Later   2014
                                   From "Somewhere Under Wonderland" 2014
18  Lowdown                    Boz Scaggs + Jools Hollands R+B Orchestra   Jools Hootenanny 2014
                                   From "Silk Degrees", 1976,
                                   Boz can still sing it nearly forty years later
19  Dogs of Lust               The The   live performance, Later   1993
                                   Live performance of the track from "Dusk", 1992
20  Little Maggie              Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, live performance,
                                                                                        Later 2014
                                   By that prolific composer "trad."
                                   the album track is on "Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar", 2014
21  Dani California            Red Hot Chili Peppers   live performance, Later   2006
                                   from "Stadium Arcadium", 2006
22  Enter Sandman              Metallica   live performance, Later   2008
                                   "Metallica", 1991
23  Senor Blues                David Sanborn   live performance, Later   2005
                                    Original by Horace Silver on "Six Pieces of Silver" 1957
24  I Thank You                Paul Rodgers   live performance, Later   2014
                                    Album track is on "The Royal Sessions", 2014. First released by
                                    Sam and Dave in 1968, later covered by ZZ Top on "Degüello"
25  Drive                      Bobby McFerrin   live performance, Later   2012
                                    from "Simple Pleasures" 1988.

Thanks for listening. We will have another show in two weeks time, going by that trendy title TBA

Last edited by AlanD on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks for the great broadcast, AlanD. Enjoyed it very much. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Tai'lahr. But I should point out that Radio Free D'ni is a group effort: Edison Rex mixes the music and voices, provides the broadcast server and sometimes announces, Malaclypse and I provide commentary, and all three of us have a hand in show themes, track choice and play order. So far it has worked well :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

We had a lot of fun with the last show, and it's always nice to get some feedback. If there is any artist or style you'd like to hear more of then please let us know.

From the last show:

Olivier Maurey is also known (in the cavern) as Piboc
Find his website here http://www.agedessons.com/index.php

Turjan Aylahn is the avatar and stage name of Alain Pachins
http://aylahn.bandcamp.com/
https://aylahn.wordpress.com/
D'marnah is a project he founded to carry out D'ni musicological research, and the album "Liquid Light" is the closest approach he has achieved to D'ni music
https://myspace.com/dmarnah
https://aylahn.wordpress.com/dmarnah/
http://sirem.pagesperso-orange.fr/carib ... bst_0.html

Both of these guys are very good and it is certainly worth some of your time to listen to what they have made.

Jools Holland has been presenting Later since 1992. The next series will probably start in September. The BBC homepage for the show is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ml0l, if that will play in your location.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, AlanD, it is great for me to see and to know that we now have two musical magicians in our community ... :P

Our Turjan is very well-known to most of us for many years and our a star in relation to the composition and presentation (musical instruments) of what one might consider most closely to convey real D'ni music and thus lifestyle and culture etc. :)

What I didn't know by now is that we have another amazing talented musical artist in our midst, precious Piboc, who has created/composed and also provided for free (see Alan's link above) an astounding collection of musical journeys through Uru/MOUL (Part1) and the history of D'ni (Part2 - BoT & BoA), which is different from Turjan's music, but still absolutely and completely 'musically embodying', as he expresses it so wonderfully himself, the inspiration he got from his adventures, and thus as I'd say, perfectly musically translating and conveying the art and style of D'ni life, music and culture in his own magical way ...

Thanks for sharing your love and passion with the world, Piboc and of course dearest Turjan ... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next