It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Run for RAWA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:40 pm 

Hi all!

I know it's been a while since I've been around hardcore in Cavern. Terokh Jeruth has a funny way of throwing curveballs.

As we all know, RAWA is in one heck of a fight, and I think a nice big awareness building/fundraising event is in order.

As some of you may remember, back in October of 2004, some pals of mine and I put together a little something some of you may know as the D'ni Games. The Pehpsee Memorial Marathon Course is something that Pehpsee and I built together, one step at a time, just for times like these where we need to band together as a community to show we are in it for the long haul and are committed to crossing the finish line TOGETHER. RAWA's heart, soul and awesomeness is woven throughout the Cavern, from the glyphs in the Palace Alcove to the Cautious Optimism t-shirts in our Relto closets. His influence can be found almost everywhere along that long marathon run through our beloved Cavern.

So I am coming to my beloved community, my Cavern family, with hat in hand asking for YOUR help. Yes, you, sitting in the back lurking...you too.

I'd like to put together another LARGE SCALE EVENT and it's going to take all of us to pull this off. Again, I'll need people to help out with volunteers to help get people to the right places, communications (MESSENGERS! Get on it!), graphics, filming, photography, social media liasons, videographers, DJ's, Twitch TV experts, sports writers, bloggers, fan site owners, the whole she-bang. Back in 2004, we couldn't do what we can now, and that's get our message out in a really big way to raise awareness (and hopefully a lot of money) to be of humble service to RAWA after all he has done for us.

RAWA needs our support, so I am proposing a weekend long event, complete with the usual accoutrement of Explorer Based Initiatives (DJ's, storytellers), centered around The Grueling 15 minute marathon run around the Cavern with people running or pledging to support runners who will take out a Saturday for an awesome cause, doing their level best to complete as many laps of the Marathon course as they can to raise as much money for RAWA's care as possible, having those donating directly doing so on RAWA's GoFundMe page that has already been set up for him.

Along with the marathon, I would like to surround it with a Bracketed Ayoheek Tournament to start the Friday before the event, break for the Run, then finish directly after the Marathon completes on Saturday evening, with the entirety of the Marathon along with the Ayoheek finals being streamed live on Twitch TV. (That way after RAWA gets better and healed up to 100% (C'mon Guild of Healers! Work faster!), he can watch the entire thing and see how much we care.)

That said, on October 17th and October 24th) there will be planning meetings held at 2pm Pacific time (someone come in and give me the KI time) on both Saturdays to gauge interest, divvy up jobs and start working on execution in the HLFT Cavern Den Hood.

My target date for the event is one month from now, November 13th and 14th, 2015.

Dust off your running shoes, put on your Cautious Optimism t-shirts and let's RUN FOR RAWA!

So again:

Run For RAWA Planning Meeting
October 17 and October 24, 2015
2pm Pacific (Link to World Clock)
HLFT Cavern Den Hood.

KI: 839389

Last edited by Sh'aeri on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Run for RAWA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Are you aware that you're in conflict with an existing event next Saturday, the 10th? The CavCon Awareness event is happening that day, so you might not get the kind of turnout you'd like. I'd suggest you put it off until the 17th and 24th to prevent people who might be interested in both having to make a choice.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:57 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to not conflict with your plans.

My humble apologies to everyone I seemed to offend by not realizing I was stepping on the CavCon Awareness event. I checked every calendar, looked at everything and I guess I just messed up because I didn't know I was "conflicting."

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I moved my planning meetings to the 17th and 24th, as suggested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:39 pm 

I haven't had a chance to add stuff to the GoMe events listing yet. Today is my first day off, since last Tues...(and no I don't mean the one which just passed)...I also work just a half day tomorrow, so will get to it very soon.

Just enjoying my morning coffee, and having a leisurely lunch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 pm 

Thanks Nev'yn.

I entered the event onto the GoMe calendar with the old dates, would you mind fixing it for me so that the planning meetings are listed as the 17th and 24th?

I do have need for some messengers to live Tweet the event and spread some other Messenger-y goodness. May I request a couple of yellow cloaks to attend the meetings?

I am also going to need some maintainers to keep the peace and direct traffic. Anyone seen Dot around?

I also need at least one really good Cartographer as the running course needs some new maps.

If you could direct them here, it would be awesome, or they can contact me directly at sheri 'at' eternalsophomore dot com.

Thanks oodles and enjoy your coffee!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

That is a mighty ambition you have there - it will be quite impressive if it comes to fruition.

There have been some big events in the past year or two (I'm quite new here and don't go back much further than that)(I had to look up Terokh Jeruth). Nothing as prolonged as a whole weekend though.

I'll try to make it to one of the planning meetings, but they start at 10 pm UK time so don't expect too much :)

KI time is Mountain Standard Time, so one hour later than your PST.

13th/14th November is Friday/Saturday, is this deliberate?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:02 am 

Very nice Plan I will contact Planetary and the WMR will be happy to help !
All the best !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sh'aeri wrote:
I am also going to need some maintainers to keep the peace and direct traffic. Anyone seen Dot around?

You should check at Kitely. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:15 pm 

AlanD wrote:
That is a mighty ambition you have there - it will be quite impressive if it comes to fruition.

There have been some big events in the past year or two (I'm quite new here and don't go back much further than that)(I had to look up Terokh Jeruth). Nothing as prolonged as a whole weekend though.

I'll try to make it to one of the planning meetings, but they start at 10 pm UK time so don't expect too much :)

KI time is Mountain Standard Time, so one hour later than your PST.

13th/14th November is Friday/Saturday, is this deliberate?

First of all, I have done this before. It's not as tough as people think it is.
Second, the Friday/Saturday thing is deliberate, however I can be convinced to push it out to Sunday to accommodate as many runners as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry I missed the first planning meeting, hope it went well. I'm still up for helping where I can, for instance with a music show. I did have a hand in D'nipalooza, if that's any help to you in terms of a reference...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Sh'aeri!

I just PMd you. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've just had a look and I can't see HLFT Cavern Den Hood in the Nexus. I will look again closer to the time, hoping that someone will have promoted it into the list...

Edit: it is 7:45 pm, 19:45 here in the UK, and i'm seeing a time for PST of 10:45, so I'll be back in an hour....This seems off to me, as 13 KI is usually 20:00 UK time. I assume you have gone to DST but we haven't yet...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
AlanD wrote:
Edit: it is 7:45 pm, 19:45 here in the UK, and i'm seeing a time for PST of 10:45, so I'll be back in an hour....This seems off to me, as 13 KI is usually 20:00 UK time. I assume you have gone to DST but we haven't yet...
No, America has not gone to DST, yet (not until Oct 31/Nov 1), but the KI is still coded to change at the old date, so it will be incorrect until November 1st.

I thought that had been fixed at one time. Maybe it got undone with an update. /shrug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, that has proved me unable to read the time correctly. It is now 14:09 KI time so I've added when I should have subtracted, and am two hours late. There's no HLFT hood around and no Sh'aeri.

All I can do is say once more I'm ready to help. If there is to be another meeting, please let me know about it. Otherwise all I can do is wait for someone to get in touch.

Edit:

My ignorance seems to know no bounds. Sh'aeri says 2pm Pacific, without telling me *which* Pacific. There is a link to a world clock site which comes up with a screen implying PDT, not PST. Investigating further, 1400 PDT is 2200 BST (British Summer Time) (where I am now).

So maybe there is some hope for me yet. As long as I'm not in charge of the clock...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
but the KI is still coded to change at the old date

CWalther and I fixed the George W. Bush bug years ago...