It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

You know JW, there's an old saying that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. You might want to ponder that for a bit.

Rand said "Myst 5 is part of the time that has passed.".

That, in my interpretation, does not definitively say that the actual events of Myst 5 happened between Uru Live 1 and Uru Live 2. It could mean that, it could mean that Myst 5 was Cyan's game interpretation of events that really happened. All it DOES tell us is that Myst 5 does exist in the Uru universe, in some form.

Now that I actually *have* contributed to the conversation, and said, clearly, that I don't think we've been handed the answer on a platter, no one can say I've 'proved' anything.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Prove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:34 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Eleri wrote:
You know JW, there's an old saying that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. You might want to ponder that for a bit.

It would be a rosey world if everyone followed your example, especially former liaison candidates. But it's an old addage and has had plenty of time to catch on, yet we all succumb sooner or later to sarcastic or edgy responses to those we feel deserve them, eh? I'd venture you've made a few yourself, no?

By the way, there is also a "JW" on various forums who might not wish to be associated with me. :)

Eleri wrote:
Rand said "Myst 5 is part of the time that has passed.".

That, in my interpretation, does not definitively say that the actual events of Myst 5 happened between Uru Live 1 and Uru Live 2.

You are correct that Rand's answer does not specify where in the past, but it does put it solidly in the past. This was a significant point of discussion here. The DRC site timeline for 2005 documents Yeesha's search for someone to free the Least, so 2005 is a safe bet. I don't think I even implied his answer proved it occured between UL1 (Prologue) and UL2 (Uru Live). But the DRC timeline strongly suggests it.

I'm very curious to know the reason behind this seemingly desperate state of denial about Myst 5.

Eleri wrote:
All it DOES tell us is that Myst 5 does exist in the Uru universe, in some form.

Rand's answer clearly states more, especially in light of the DRC's effort to put Myst 5 in context.

Eleri wrote:
Now that I actually *have* contributed to the conversation, and said, clearly, that I don't think we've been handed the answer on a platter, no one can say I've 'proved' anything.

Well, that's true you didn't prove anything, but is a non sequitur. Rand's answer is the poof. Your opinion doesn't change the answer just because you asked the question or because of your denial here. Rands answer, and his intent in my opinion, speaks for itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:52 pm 

Quote:
It would be a rosey world if everyone followed your example, especially former liaison candidates. But it's an old addage and has had plenty of time to catch on, yet we all succumb sooner or later to sarcastic or edgy responses to those we feel deserve them, eh? I'd venture you've made a few yourself, no?

Be careful, folks. Don't feed the trolls.

I think Rand's answer has pretty much answered that at least the events of Myst 5 happened in 2005.

We do not know if the events in Myst 5 were real or if it was just a game representation of "real" events. RAWA has said that Cyan stil is deciding how the events of Myst 5 will be taken care of. Also those events and those of the x-packs are not canon yet, and may not be. Cyan still has to decide that.

And by worthless I mean pointless. Whatever happens will happen and Cyan will tell us when they've figured it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
And by worthless I mean pointless. Whatever happens will happen and Cyan will tell us when they've figured it out.

Exactly. It is meaningless for any of us to insisit we know the answers, when none of us are Cyantists (no comments from the peanut gallery, GD!). Creative speculation and discussion about varied possibilities is a lovely thing. So is lively debate. Insisting people are wrong or in denial through overly verbose insults are just trolling.

While pretty much everyone has moments of sarcasm, or even less-than-constructive debate posts, very very few of the regular community here consistantly crosses the line into argumentative, single minded, and generally unpleasant to interact with.

To have a battle, two sides have to be fightting. I welcome the day that forums come with an ignore button. I plan on using it, as I'm sure some people will happily use it to ignore me, as well.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:28 pm 

JWho?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:45 pm 

Quote:
I think Rand's answer has pretty much answered that at least the events of Myst 5 happened in 2005.

Actually, I think we're all confusing Myst 5 with the events portrayed in Myst 5. Myst 5 is definitely in the past. Rand's comment didn't give any new information here. The events of Myst 5 are not necessarily in the past. Certain evidence points to them being in such a position temporally, but it is still possible that Cyantists are playing with us, making us think that the events of Myst 5 have already happened by being just SLIGHTLY ambiguous, such as Rand not specifically referring to the EVENTS of Myst 5, but rather to Myst 5 itself, which could refer to either the game or the events.

Let us assemble the evidence that Myst 5 is in the past:

1. 2005 - Yeesha searches for someone to free the least (This could be a reference to Myst 5, or it could be a reference to events taking place before Myst 5 begins)

2. Rand says that Myst 5 is in the past. Now, like I said, this does not mean the EVENTS of Myst 5 are in the past. Myst 5 the game could be in the past, but the events in the future, and Cyan knows about it because of Yeesha's time travel abilities.

I must agree with Whilyam, though, that this is really pretty pointless. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it. Discussion is always good. The question lies on whether something is discussion, or argument.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:06 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Whilyam wrote:

Thank you.

Whilyam wrote:
We do not know if the events in Myst 5 were real or if it was just a game representation of "real" events. RAWA has said that Cyan stil is deciding how the events of Myst 5 will be taken care of. Also those events and those of the x-packs are not canon yet, and may not be. Cyan still has to decide that.

They have in fact said some important things about x-packs and EoA, and much of it comes after RAWA's posts. and I think those posts referred to which ending will be represented in Uru Live (which assumes, as Rand infers, that Myst 5 will be integrated into Uru). I remember these answers were given in some THMs or chat logs, and I do remember hearing Cyantists mention they will be included next year. I don't remember exactly where the source material is, so I will leave it to a Liaison, who probably knew what he was talking about:

CAGrayWolf wrote:
We have already been told that much of what we already in the game will be present, as well we have already been told that [eventually] To D'ni, TPotS and EoA ages will be added in, although the storyline and game play will be modified back to multi-player aspects.

I'll also direct you to a statement by RAWA on CCN Podcast 13 which I quoted earlier in this discussion:
http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic ... ight=#6940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:31 pm 

Yeah, that's what I meant. That the story of the xpacks and Myst 5 is NOT canon now and may never be. The story could change completely under the guise of Myst 5 being a game.

I think maybe we've all become a bit too used to cryptic hints from Cyan and are sort of acting like lawyers to be honest :P Of course all of this could never have happened and Yeesha whisked us all away. Or maybe she went forward in time and placed the DRC poster in the Shaft. Or maybe I'M the Stranger and Yeesha's pulled me from the 1800s.

I'm making a few assumptions that seem logical to me at the moment.

1: Events similar to the game Myst 5 DID happen in the past, most likely in 2005.
2: Myst 5 IS a game since obviously only ONE person would have been able to free the Least.
3: Both the story and the structure of the areas we saw in the xpacks and Myst 5 may change completely by the time anything makes it into Live and therefore into the canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:50 am 

Whilyam wrote:
2: Myst 5 IS a game since obviously only ONE person would have been able to free the Least.

It would only take ONE person to free The Least, but MANY people could take the tablet quest and fail. *Shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:20 am 

Many ppl could have taken the journey and all could have failed. The main point to Myst V could have been Escher getting the tablet and Live2 is to fix that problem.

www2 wrote:
It would only take ONE person to free The Least, but MANY people could take the tablet quest and fail. *Shrug*

Actually that statement is a little off. Many could have failed and given the tablet to Yeesha in which case she'd return it to where it came from. Only one other could have given it to Escher. Once he has it, it is his to keep.
Since I know most everyone just had to go see Myst Island and the only way to do that is to give the tablet to Escher then, I assume that Escher has the tablet. The stranger failed and Live2 is going to be about fixing that.

There's my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:21 am 
Creative Kingdoms

www2 wrote:
Whilyam wrote:

Sure, but many of us have freed The Least, myself included. Explain THAT!

I actually like this point of Whilyam's (yes, I was shocked too). It suggests to me that, with RAWA having confirmed (my word - see link) The Least have their freedom, Cyan will need to choose or create a character, living or now dead, or even use an existing avvie (for example, "Whilyam") who was the one who freed The Least. Who will it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:12 am 

Quote:

Simple. Myst V was a game. In "reality" only one person freed the least.

Quote:
who was the one who freed The Least. Who will it be?

Speculation I've read says it might be Dr. Watson (or Phil). This might explain how Cyan got the idea for the Game. Dr. Watson returns and tells Cyan in secret about the events of his journey and they turn them into a game, etc. I personally like this idea (avoids making a new character and makes better sense in a storyline)

Quote:
Since I know most everyone just had to go see Myst Island and the only way to do that is to give the tablet to Escher then, I assume that Escher has the tablet.

Don't forget you can fail be giving YEESHA the tablet and THEN going to Myst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 am 

By fail, I mean in any way. Not just the two ways at the end of the game. What if I had gotten eaten by one of those annoying demon-chickens in Laki'ahn? :o

JWPlatt wrote:

Maybe we're all the same person with a really bad case of multiple personalities. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:43 pm 

i agree with all that Whilyam said.
obviously as in all mysts the player is only one person and not ourselves, its some third party we might or might not know about. Its unlikely that the "new stranger" failed in some way as the myst story has the nasty habit of following through what is normally considered the "good ending"

Whilyam wrote:
Speculation I've read says it might be Dr. Watson (or Phil). This might explain how Cyan got the idea for the Game. Dr. Watson returns and tells Cyan in secret about the events of his journey and they turn them into a game, etc. I personally like this idea (avoids making a new character and makes better sense in a storyline)

actually i myself thought of this theory too, but there is one little catch.
The disappearance of Phil occured i think in 2003 (or 2004? doesnt matter), and Dr. Watson i think disappeared 2004. 2005 Yeesha only started looking for help as the drcsite says, meaning that both Phil and Dr. Watson would have at least 1 year unaccounted for (except that we know that Dr. Watson wandered around the cavern and passed by the great shaft

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next