It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:42 am 
Obduction Backer

The CD that was burned was for an expansion pack for a solo player game.

As far as I can tell, from the way online Uru worked before and the comments in the various threads, you won't be able to download game content on another machine. You download it when you are logged into the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:13 am 

I hope Cyan distribute the initial install as a torrent, It'd be easier for me to leave it on overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I can understand why Cyan would choose to have people download the sections of the game as they explore them...there would be far less initial stress on their content servers that way. It could also potentially make the game seem more accessible to a less...tech savvy audience (for lack of a better description)...100 Meg is a lot less daunting.
To get back on topic I will add that I did play the original UrU-Live Prologue on dial-up and did play Until UrU on dial-up for about a year before broadband finally became an option at my location. From my experience the game is quite playable...the only issues are with the long time the content updates take (overnighters) and with a large number of people in the same Age. From what I can remember any more than about 20 to 30 players in one Age made the game very difficult to play. Although Cyan's server/client optimisations may increase that number.

Cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

New info from Mysterium. 700 Mb is on the small side. Initial download will be closer to 1 GB.

Woolfie's post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:41 am 

I think the dial-up ppl can look on the bright side. No one from Cyan or GameTAP has posted anything here saying it will not be possible. I think thats a silver lining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rand DID say at Mysterium that dialup will NOT be supported. You can try it, but don't call them with your troubles.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:54 pm 

There are things you can do to help your dial-up connection though. Like, when was the last time any of you upgraded your modem? Chances are half of you guys are dragging along on win-modem’s.

Before I switched over to broadband I went out and upgraded my win-modem (that claimed to be 56k) to a true v92 56k dial-up modem, and the difference was like night and day (as far as dial-up goes). The new modem managed between 15 and 20KB/s downstream; as opposed to the 5kb/s I was getting on the win-modem.

While a better dial up modem still won’t put you anywhere near DSL speeds, it does bring downloads in the 1GB (1024mb) range into the realm of possibility. If you can pull down 15KB/s it would put your download time for 1GB of data at about 20 hours.

Being that not one of the currently released ages break 100mb, download times over a good 56k connection (15kb/s) would be between 25 and 30 minutes per age.

Last edited by StarLion on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:55 pm 
They've said multiple times in the past it won't be supported. Personally I can see why. Who wants to spend hours waiting for an age to download on dialup. I don't which is why I had originally gotten broadband before Live was canceled in 2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I never managed more than 4.5 kbps on my v92 56 k modem. I was thrilled at the difference (60 kbps) when I moved to 512k broadband. (I'm too far from the exchange from anything much faster).