It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Compatible Issues
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Everyone,
For those interested, here are the specs for Gametap.
CPU: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz
Mem: 256 MB Ram
Hard Disk Space: 5 GB free
Video Card: 32 dedicated Memory, Nvidia Geforce 2 or ATI Radeon 7000 Chipset

Not accessible via dial up connection.
Mac not supported

Here's the question.
I know not everyone has XP or 2000, does that leave everyone without these specs, leave them out of the chance of playing Uru Live. Or is there another avenue they can take to get onto Uru Live. I have two machines that I can use with different Cpu configurations. So it doesn't make much difference to me but what about those that don't have these spec's. I know Cyan would like to get everyone possible into Uru LIve so that they can keep it up and going. There has to be a solution to make everyone happy and get as many people into the game. It just makes since, doesn't it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:13 pm 

What runs on XP will run on 98/Me its just since Microsoft has dropped all support for 98/Me games companies will as well, how can your company support anouther OS?

Also I feel it important to state from what I've read it requires a Broadband connection, Shorahmin has a 110kbs connection which isn't fast enough for their service I'm guessing 256kbs should be fast enough cause enough Telcos have labelled that as Broadband. Satalite conenctions wern't supported either (from what I've read in the FAQ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

You won't need Gametap to play Uru.

You don't need it, but it's so worth getting the combo if you can swing it. There's even a special deal on right now! Check out the Uru Live blog for more details on that!

Now, Uru Live has its own minimum specs, and they're just the minimum supported specs. It may run with something slower, but it won't run very well. There may be crashes, low framerates, long load times, eternal downloads, lag... all of which may be solved with upgraded hardware.

But you may be able to play! You just can't get proper troubleshooting.

Last edited by Cycreim on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

From the FAQ on this site:

Quote:
Q. What are the minimum requirements for Uru Live?
A.
Supported OS: Windows® 2000/XP/MCE in XP mode
Processor: 800MHz Pentium®III or AMD Athlon™ or better
RAM: 512 MB or more
Video Card 32 MB DirectX®9.0 -compliant video card (see supported list*)
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0- compliant audio card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive Space: 3+ GB free
Internet Connection: Broadband
Peripherals Supported: Mouse, Keyboard
Display: 800 by 600 16 bit display
* A list of supported video cards will be provided at a later date.
+ More space will be needed for content updates
Disclaimer - The system requirements could change in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

You will need GameTap for URU Live, just not for the beta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:33 pm 

not true, because all non-US citizens wont be able to use gametap but will be able to play Uru, confirmed by Cyan and Turner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it's a little tricky to tell from all the messages, but my understanding is that if gametap is available in your region of the world, you'll get access to Uru Live via Gametap.

I can't see how it would make sense to do it any other way, from Turner Broadcasting's perspective, but hey, I don't work for either company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:02 am 

Lol, there's Myst fans outside America you know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 am 

oh well what i meant is that not all will need to have gametap, and i think uru live might be self sufficient, but will just have the gametap thingy bundled... ah who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:22 am 

Stevecrox wrote:
.....Shorahmin has a 110kbs connection which isn't fast enough for their service I'm guessing 256kbs should be fast enough....

Believe it or not they state that a minimum 384K is required for braudband.

GameTAP Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

What I said was that if gametap was available in your part of the world, I thought that you would have to access Uru Live via gametap.

Anyway, that's my theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:21 am 

Quote:
You won't need Gametap to play Uru.
'

Unfortunately, that's wrong if you are in a country that supports GameTap: see
this page.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Er, back to the original question as you've all veered off course and into a ditch...

Last time I checked, Windows 2000 is six years old, and XP is 5 years old. In terms of computer lifespans, that's ancient. We've really been pretty lucky that Microsoft hasn't been pushing new OSes down our throats every 2-3 years, like they did with Windows 95 (1995), Windows 98 (1998), and Windows ME (2000).

Furthermore, as Stevecrox has pointed out, support for 95, 98, and ME editions of Windows ended on July 11, 2006. Anyone that continues to run these operating systems is exposing him or herself to any security holes that may yet be discovered, or which Microsoft never bothered to fix.

Going forward, Microsoft is also planning that no more security fixes will be made available for XP with SP1 and SP1 as of October 10. Service Pack 2 is a free upgrade, so if you're on XP, applying it is strongly adviseable.

And now a personal testimonial, for all it's worth - I stuck with Windows 98 well into 2002, because at the time I wasn't ready to upgrade my computer and I didn't think that XP would deliver any significant benefits over 98. I was very skeptical because, though I'm a careful and fairly experienced computer user, I had a lot of problems with Windows 95 and 98. (98 was hardly an improvement over 95 and was really only necessary to provide support for newer USB devices.) Both 95 and 98 would regularly corrupt themselves and I'd have to boot into Safe Mode and then back to normal mode to clear out the garbage.

By comparison, Windows XP has been smoother than silk. I'm no Microsoft lover, but I've found that every time I've seen a "blue screen of death" in Windows XP, it has been directly traceable to a hardware error or a corrupt driver installation. Those cases are proveably not Microsoft's fault. And those cases have been rare. In 4 years, I can still count the number of BSODs I've seen on my fingers. Under Windows 98, not so; it would die at the slightest provocation. So just by its raw stability, XP earned my respect.

I understand that upgrading an operating system is a very expensive proposition. In addition to the time in backing up your applications and learning what is and isn't compatible with the new OS (Note: Windows XP has a very flexible backwards compatibility system), the OS itself isn't cheap. But from certain vendors, you can get the "OEM" version of Windows at a substantial discount, as long as you are purchasing it with hardware. "Hardware" is not well defined; if you buy Windows XP OEM from NewEgg.com, they'll throw in power splitter cable for 1 cent. Voila! Software purchased with hardware.

One last comment... I am not necessarily suggesting that you run out and buy Windows XP. Windows Vista is around the corner, and you can be certain that although not currently listed in the system requirements, Cyan will work to make Uru Live work on that platform as quickly as possible. In terms of making your hard earned cash count... it may be sensible to wait for Vista.

Hope this helps someone.