It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:54 am 

Hey guys,

I just signed up for gametap and downloaded URU and it installed and all that. However when I click the play game button it brings up a window that says "Checking for patcher update". There is a progress bar on the window but it never moves (after about an hour to an hour and a half). Also I am not sending or receiving any packets while this window is up. Any idea what could be the problem? Maybe some scheduled downtime that I am not aware of?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:37 am 

Not aware of scheduled downtime, but the servers have been very busy with the rush of people around the launch so you might have hit that.

If you still get the problem you might want to try uninstalling URU, then downloading and installing URU again. (I had that problem once for no apparent reason, but a fresh download solved it).

As a guide, 'checking for patcher update' should only take a couple of seconds then it should change to 'checking for updates'.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:35 pm 

Ya, I have done a complete reinstall twice now (both gametap and uru) and both times didn't work. I am now trying to use a gametap version 1.0 and having it update with the updater. I think this might do the trick as I actually have a "games" folder this time. Maybe the latest gametap setup file is screwed up? I used to not even be able to find urulauncher.exe if I did a search, but if I started URU from gametap I would have urulauncher.exe in the task manager. It was very odd, so I hope this will help it. I am downloading it now again (it failed last night for some reason) so I haven't had a chance to test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:14 pm 

hmmm, I can't get URU to install now. I have downloaded it a bunch of times but it always says something about acquisition failed. This is getting annoying since it takes about an hour and a half to download. I did find out where it downloads the file from though, so I am going to try downloading the precache.bin and save it outside of the games directory so it doesn't get deleted and see if I can make it so I don't have to re-download it every time I want to try something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:43 pm 

Maulain,

1.5 hrs to download sounds way too slow. You need broadband to play URU.

If you have broadband and you're getting that sort of download time, then there may be something wrong with your broadband connection.

Try running a speedtest first on your local server (the one that speedtest selects by default) then on the Atlanta, Georgia, USA server (which represents where the URU servers live). Your download speed should be well over 380Kb/s.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:53 am 

I am hitting that Atlanta server at 1275kbps which is about 159kb/s. The game is nearly 800mb big so that 1.5hrs seems about right to me. It sucks living in the USA and having broadband that is way behind the rest of the world.

edit: oh by the way, I did get past the patching screen on my other computer, but got a different error. However I would prefer to play myst online with the computer that is having the patching error

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:32 am 

Well I tried a third computer that I have here which is much older than my other two (4-5 years old) and the game works great. I made it through the cleft stuff fine. The only problem is, this computer is my parents and is in use most of the time, so getting this to work on one of my PCs would be much better. I guess ill just have to play around with drivers and whatnot and see what I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:45 am 

You should check if your router or firewall blocks outgoing connections to Cyan's game servers. You can also try to disable your personal firewall, security software and anti virus program. Some programs may block the patcher because it replaces itself.

There is an eays way to test the connection. Go to Start / Execute (dunno what's the right name in english) and type in cmd. Click on OK to open a command window (dos prompt). Type in

Code:
telnet uruapp-cw01.ibs.aol.com 14617

The cmd prompt should turn black immediately and telnet should exit if you hit enter. If the connection fails you have an issue on your side.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:48 am 

Tiran wrote:
Go to Start / Execute (dunno what's the right name in english)

Run.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:14 am 

OK guys thanks for the help.... I just did a windows update and updated a few drivers and grabbed IE7 and now I am beyond the patching problem. I think I am going to start throwing things across the room since I have spent so much time on this and all I had to do is run windows update. Now lets see if I can get all the way in. I'll cross my fingers ;). Anyways if I run into an issue I'll be starting a new topic now since I have made it beyond my original issue. Once again thanks for taking the time to try and help me guys.

Edit: Everything works. Also the reason why it worked after the update is because after I restarted I loaded up URU before most startup processes ran. One of my startup processes is a blacklist blocker program (blocks known IPs of certain blacklisted companies among other things). I completely forgot about this program as it just runs in the background and I forgot I installed it. I don't know why it is blocking URU's servers, but oh well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]