It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:03 am 

When the Gametap beta first launched, I downloaded it, and found that whenever I tried to use linking books in the neighborhoods or the city, I would get stuck and be unable to link out. This was apparently a frequent occurance.

Today I see the game has launched, so I download it again and start it up. The exact same thing happens. A friendly guy helping new players seemed to indicate this was still a frequent occurance, and I should press F3 to start over from my home island. Well, that's intuitive. Plus it didn't work, so I had to quit anyway.

Um, yeah. Wake me up when this game actually works... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:26 am 

Works fine for me. *shrug*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:46 am 
Obduction Backer

It is a known bug. That doesn't mean its a common bug.

I think anybody who's played the game long enough has had it happen to them once, unfortunately it seems to happen to you more frequently.

All MMOs have bugs though, some more obvious than others. Uru is no exception. The best thing to do is file a ticket with support so they can try to fix it sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:27 am 
Obduction Backer

"press F3 to start over from my home island" [when stuck on a book]

This is an old workaround that no longer works. (I don't think it ever worked *well* -- I usually crashed shortly after using it. So it's not a great loss.)

If you get stuck on a book, log out and log back in. And, yes, file a report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:14 am 

Like all complex software, 'Gamma' would be better description than 'production release'. Personally, I'm impressed with how 'clean' URU is considering it is in its first few days of full production release, especially compared to the other MMORPG's I'm aware of. :)

Sorry you had that problem burnt_sienna. :cry:
I guess it comes down to what sort of game you want to play - If URU appeals to you, then no doubt you'll tolerate some glitches to be able to play the game; if not, thanks for stopping by, and I hope you find something that suits you better. 8)

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:24 am 

Thanks for the friendly responses, everyone. Sorry for being testy.

Zenguy, Uru definitely appeals to me. I played all the Myst games and Uru Complete Chronicles a few years back. I think I will probably come back in a few months where there is new stuff beyond Complete Chronicles and more bugs have been fixed. (I can barely even move in the city right now.) Hope to see you all then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:33 pm 

burnt_sienna wrote:

Zenguy, Uru definitely appeals to me. I played all the Myst games and Uru Complete Chronicles a few years back. I think I will probably come back in a few months where there is new stuff beyond Complete Chronicles and more bugs have been fixed. (I can barely even move in the city right now.) Hope to see you all then!

Ummm, there's two new ages already. :wink:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:38 pm 

Another thing you can do if you're stuck on the book, is call a ResEng. They'll link you through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:44 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
Another thing you can do if you're stuck on the book, is call a ResEng. They'll link you through.

Well, sortof. What they'll actually do is link you to THEMSELVES.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:59 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Maratanos wrote:
burnt_sienna wrote:

Ummm, there's two new ages already. :wink:

Uru Live, it is safe to say, has come further than it ever has before. But it will not have truly surpassed itself until the day all of the ages from Complete Chronicles have been reintroduced into the game, mostly meaning Path of the Shell. And there will be some people who won't be satisfied until every age from the known Myst universe has been included. To those ends, it would be nice to know, without promises, Cyan's long term intentions for including its existing library of ages into Uru Live. Ten years might be enough time to achieve this as Cyan wisely keeps things mostly new while bringing in the old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
But it will not have truly surpassed itself until the day all of the ages from Complete Chronicles have been reintroduced into the game, mostly meaning Path of the Shell. And there will be some people who won't be satisfied until every age from the known Myst universe has been included.

For me, personally, I will be rather disappointed if Cyan starts adding in ages from other Myst games.

Those were in other Myst games, if you want to play them so desperately go play the other games.

Uru should be moving FORWARD, not in REVERSE, and bringing in ages from other products would be a step backwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:55 pm 

True, but I would like to see the good Myst V content in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:33 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

macnbc wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
But it will not have truly surpassed itself until the day all of the ages from Complete Chronicles have been reintroduced into the game, mostly meaning Path of the Shell. And there will be some people who won't be satisfied until every age from the known Myst universe has been included.

For me, personally, I will be rather disappointed if Cyan starts adding in ages from other Myst games.

Those were in other Myst games, if you want to play them so desperately go play the other games.

Uru should be moving FORWARD, not in REVERSE, and bringing in ages from other products would be a step backwards.

Logical fallacy. Besides removing the context of the portion quoted, this is an old discussion which I was only alluding to and not trying to restart because it is off topic for this thread. It is not an either/or situation. Cyan can do both old and new simultaneously, unlike a car going forward or reverse. And if they do well, staff can be hired specifically to work on the past while every single bit of the intended new stuff still makes it into Live just for you. Then, there's more choice for people who want it and we all can play in the way we wish, not just any one particular person's preference.

It is in the business model of GameTap to bring back the old games. The potential for integrating the Myst collection into the realtime 3D world of Uru Live is exciting to many. Rand Miller's ultimate vision of Myst is what we are now experiencing in a multiuser environment. It is not beyond reason to think Cyan and GameTap could want to reintroduce the Myst series in this way instead of just playing the offline versions. RealMYST was a step in this direction - revisiting an old game to bring it forward. And an offline version of Uru is what many have railed againt Ubisoft for having forced Cyan to produce. Two development forks for the past and present, if and when possible, would only increase the subscriber pool of interest.

But I guess that's beside the point of this thread...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]