It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:49 am 

Eccles wrote:
I haven't had much time in Negilahn yet, and I haven't seen [spoiler]any portal[/spoiler]but I have a thought on the number 18 -

[spoiler]What if instead of being a time, or the number of people in the pod as has been suggested, it is the number of pods that need to be occupied? Maybe you have to have 18 seperate Negilahns occupied, either from D'ni Ae'gura or the same instance.

Having said that, most of the UO hood were checking out their Negilahns the other day, might have been 18, and only a couple of people saw the portal, but what do folks think, could that have something to do with it?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I suppose it is entirely possible that when the clock struck 18, the number of players that linked into the age in anticipation ended up filling 18 instances and causing the sign to appear. This is a very interesting theory.[/spoiler]

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:03 pm 

Problem with clock theories: The gorahyan in the hoods currently has several bugs (long since ticketed), which have not been fixed as of Live 3.504.

1. The sphere behind the clock is not turning, even though the numbers are changing in the lens. (The sphere in CC did turn in synch with the lens display.) This is just a simple graphical bug, though, and does not affect the time.

2. The time is synched to local system time, rather than Cavern time. (Which would be a very odd thing for the D'ni to do. :)) That means that people in different time zones who look at the same clock at the same time will see different numbers.

3. If you alt-tab out of MOUL, the display will jump back by almost a full unit the first time you do so. Was the number correct before alt-tabbing, or after, or neither?

Right now it is 8:12 am EST. The gorahyan, after alt-tabbing, is coming up on 25 (or 0, if you prefer). The actual D'ni time right now is tahvo 4, or a bit less than 1 pahrtahvo into a new D'ni day. At 8:12 am MST, the D'ni time would be tahvo 13, or a bit over 2.5 pahrtahvo into the new yahr. Neither corresponds to the number showing on the clock.

I find it hard to believe Cyan would tie a puzzle to a buggy clock, especially since GD has already said it isn't a waiting puzzle.

Regarding the buttons, there are literally thousands of possible combinations of window and sound buttons, depending on whether the buttons pressed are left on when pressing the next button or turned off before pressing the next button. For example, there are 5040 sequences in which 7 buttons can be pushed, and double that if you turn each button off before pushing the next one. And even more sequences if some of the combinations use less than 7 buttons. That's a bit much to figure out by trial and observation without any other clues to eliminate some of the possibilities.

Hopefully each button will work individually, or perhaps a sound+window button pair. But we don't know at this point. There are far too many possibilities to try to work through them methodically, especially if the feedback is not apparent in a short period.

Will the buttons or combinations produce short-term feedback? Think about calling Shroomie. There are steps that must be taken for a Shroomie sighting, but there is still a random element to whether she shows up. Sometimes she shows without being called. Sometimes she doesn't show when you activate the spore hopper. Sometimes she shows up a little later. Fortunately, we had Sharper's journal to give us the clues as to what works most reliably. Without that, we might still be hanging around Teledahn arguing about what works and what doesn't.

Here's hoping that the clues will show up, eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:10 pm 

Good post BrettM.
I've spent @5-6 hrs. in day/night instances of Negilahn, looking out windows, trying one button then another, hoping to glimpse any critter. I'm beginning to think this is a major waste of my time! Sorry if I step on toes but I think I will just ignore Negilahn for the time being, at least until more information is forthcoming. Without referring to forum spoilers there is no indication, that I've been able to find, of hints pointing to a pattern for summoning the critters. I'm sure someone will discover this soon but it is beyond me.

edit: I worded the above wrong. I hasn't been a major waste of time it's just my head beginning to hurt from banging it against the wall :)

Last edited by boshettee on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:15 pm 

For a very different perspective, check out my post here:

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7529&start=405

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since this event is so darn infrequent I would like to know what I might be doing wrong.

[spoiler]I was not able to pass through the portal in Negilahn. I walked through it from direction of the stairs, went 2-3 steps, turned around, went back through it for 2-3 steps, turned around, and stood right in the middle of it. It dimmed and went away. BTW, I used Overdrive's math.[/spoiler]

Any instructions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

:shock: I just went back to my relto and my 1/4 piece of the ring is gone... :shock: :cry: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mine's gone walkabout too! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:41 pm 

Gonsville for me too! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:16 pm 

Mines gone too. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:16 pm 

And me. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:41 pm 

I'm not even going to go and look. I don't want to know.
:x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:17 pm 

mine is still there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:17 am 
Obduction Backer

The stone being gone is a glitch. There are threads here that tell you how ot get them back tho so dont panic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

Don't know if this is really a spoiler, but just in case...

[spoiler]I've noticed a regular shifting of light outside, at times you can see a sharp-edged shadow cut across the leaves below. This makes me think that there is a rotating mechanism, like a propeller, above the pod. However, I see nothing of the sort through the crack in the ceiling... so maybe its just clouds? [/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:36 pm 

LyricLee wrote:
The stone being gone is a glitch. There are threads here that tell you how ot get them back tho so dont panic

:lol:
I don't know where the thread is, but if you go in to kemo's braho cave and get the Pole, then back to relto, then back agian to Kemo and put the Pole back, your stone slab will return...... :wink:

it did for me :roll:

Myst Online URU Live KI # 00037754

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next