It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:58 am 

V, I thought you asked for my system info, which is why I posted it. Yeah, I heard that about eMachines, too. Too late. In fact, a power surge destroyed by DVD drive and connections. I have half a motherboard.

Tex, we get the message. :) I've been in touch with GT more times than I can count, both by email and on the phone. Thanks for keeping on top of us, though.

I'm not giving up yet, nor am I upset. I've gotten very philosphical about these kinds of things over the years. If it doesn't work, there are other games. Meanwhile, I have two more weeks on my free month.

thank you all.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:17 am 
Hmm ok I got the download and tested on both ends. For some reason Cnet, as well as a few other bandwidth testers say I am running more then I should be. Unless my cable company upped my bandwidth without telling me I should be running at 256k download. According to several bandwidth tests I run over 500k download. Twice what I should be. Though I'm not complaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:26 am 
Obduction Backer

New to the forums. I hope to see you guys in Uru Live when it launches. :)

I just wanted to say that I think Vormaen and Walt pretty much summed it up. With 500 different games spanning from first generation consoles and early PC gaming up to games from 2005, you're going to have conflicts no matter what and I can guarantee that 80% of those are the end user's machine. GameTap does have programs that have flaws and GameTap does their best to fix them.

More importantly, just because you subscribe to GameTap doesn't mean you have to use the GameTap program to play Uru Live. Consider it the subscription fee to Uru Live alone; the 10 dollar monthly fee is cheap compared to most MMO games (of which a 15 dollar monthly fee seems standard, at least in the MMORPG market) so getting GameTap plus Uru Live is a great deal to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry if this sounds outta place :oops: but, I think a lot of folk’s problems is more from their ISP and their connection to the Internet. It can be a funny place with ISP’s DNS servers and their updating of DNS changes and the over all connetion of the ISP to the Internet. Having a high latency setting and a large receive buffer, regardless of connection test results; I have had better luck, yes a little lose in connection performance but connection works. More detail on request. i have an 9MB/756KB cable connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:05 pm 

LOL, we have two perspectives here. The tech's and the users. I feel that if I have a high-end machine, well-tooled, up to date, that whatever Gametap offers me, old or new, should work...it is their job to make it work for a wide variety of machines. It's not my fault (generally speaking) if a product isn't universal when it professes to be.

I'm not saying Gametap is bad. It seems really cool to me.

And what do you mean that we don't have to use Gametap to play URUlive? You mean we don't need to play all the others games? Well, I'm with you there. I'm not interested. I just wish I could discover whether URU Live works before I start paying for it every month.

How about a beta testing update, folks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with you Tim - it seems logical to me that if Gametap offers a progam, it should run on present-day hardware. Any twiddling that needs to be done should be done at their end.

Some day when I have nothing to do, I could download a title I already own and compare their CD image with mine. NOT!

I'm puzzled too about the need for GameTap to run Uru Live. I actually signed up for two reasons - I want to support Cyan (moral and financial support) and somehow I thought it was tied in with eligibility to participate in the beta. I remember that in the original beta in 2002, there was a point where we had to buy the boxed game in order to continue, I thought this was similar. Evidently I was mistaken.

For sure, the Beta testers are under an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) and cannot tell those of us on the outside anything. Period. They can't even divulge the fact that they are part of the beta, if it's like the one we signed in 2002.

Walt - a refugee from the Garden state, 20 years ago :)

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

The reason we have to sign up for Gametap is because Gametap finances Uru Live and we, in turn, finance Gametap. It's basically a two-way marketing scheme. Gametap gives Uru Live the money to run and ends up with a whole new set of subscribers who join Gametap just for the sake of playing Uru Live. It's financially lucrative for both parties.

That's what they mean when they say Uru Live can be successful with a smaller number of subscribers. As a standalone online game, it didn't generate enough interest to be able to stay financially afloat... according to Ubisoft, anyway. Which is why it was shut down.

Either way, we'd have to pay a subscription fee if we wanted new content. That's why Until Uru subscription is a one time payment. It's just to pay for the upkeep of Cyan's server. Whereas the money we're paying to Gametap (which, in turn, Gametap finances Cyan) pays for the server upkeep and new content.

Uru Live will be a standalone program. You just need to be paying money to the folks at Gametap (which requires being signed up) and have a Gametap account to sign in to play. You just don't have to use the Gametap program and all the other features. Just need a paying account. See what I mean?

Hope I got all that right. :P It's complicated but I think that's how it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

And I wasn't trying to bust on you or anything, Tim. :) Sorry if I sounded that way. I'm just saying it's really difficult for Gametap to get 10 year old programs to work on updated systems (because, heck, I have a terrible time getting games I own from '99 to work on my new system). I have my fair share of both Gametap and old CD games that don't work for me either. :P Best thing is to just be patient. Uru Live will work fine, I'm sure, and that's what is important!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:25 pm 

Thanks Boz for info, and you too, Walt. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:18 am 

as a person who saves all her old games and tries (sometimes feutily) to install and play 'em on all my new computers, i have to say i have found some of the problems descibed here just thru the older software.

the older games were made for much older systems (obviously) and i have had some games that played faster that they should have on new systems just because the new machine can rip thru the programs so much faster. i have had to downgrade direct x, quicktime, and my video drivers too. and sometimes there just isn't anything i can do to get the newer system to even try.

the fact that gametap had made some of these titles play on ANY newer computer has me totaly amazed.

i am glad the GT help system is sooooo ..well, helpful LOL i can't imagine the kind of phone calls they must get.

and if i can't get one to work..there are 608 others to try :)

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:00 am 

From what I have been reading all over the place is
1 You Don't have to sign up for GameTap you can connect through Cyan.
Some of the USA folks will be going through and paying Cyan
who are not in the GameTap serviced areas and some will be going through and paying Gametap.
and especially us Internationals will be going through Cyan and paying Cyan direct Gametap won't as far as I know be involved with us UNLESS we eventually get GameTap in our own country.
If as you say we all need a Gametap account to play some of us are s^&$# then :(

2 What Cyan Server for Until Uru do we pay for? they were / are all public servers run by dedicated fans
who kept the dream alive.
It was only 2 years later that the Cyan's D'mala server came on line and that was FREE to anyone.

This seams to be getting more confusing as we get more questions / answers / etc
I wish a DEFINITE ANNOUNCEMENT will be made soon to clear up everyones concerns about connection payments etc not
"I'll have to check that and get back to you" :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:15 pm 
True most of the shards are on fan servers, except D'mala which is on Cyan's server.

Anyways the initial Kagi Keys that were sold went to paying for the UU authentication server that Cyan, with the help of Chip, kept running for the last 2 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shadowcats, according to the updated FAQ page,
Quote:
Persons who live in a country where GameTap is available (Currently only in the US) will be required to subscribe to GameTap to become an Explorer (the subscription to Uru Live is included in your GameTap subscription.)

Of course this has me in a deep funk right now since I can only get dial-up. :cry:

Boz, I certainly hope that you are right that Live will be a standalone program. Where do you get this information from?

For what it's worth, I have an Emachines and I have had no trouble whatsoever. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:28 pm 

True I should have been more precise the FAQ stats that but it does not state
that GameTap does not run on Dial up/low broadband and sat at lest from what I have been reading in posts. :?:
So they will have to have some leeway or there going to tick off a lot of people in the USA who don't have high speeds
and other countries If this service becomes available in there countries.
Either way I am not fussed GameTap is not in Aussie land so I will have to go through Cyan to pay and play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:42 pm 
No it doesn't state it on the faq. But it does state on Gametap's website that minimum broadband speed requirement is 384k. Which does kinda leave those having lower end broadband and dialup in the cold cause of the requirement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:04 pm 

Hmm.

I seem to have another issue with GameTap and URU. I e-mailed their tech support but it's been three days and I have yet to hear back. (So much for "24 hours.")

You know how it has that requirement about X and Y being unmapped drives? Well that's a problem, as Q and X are my gaming and media storage drives, respectively. I get completely stalled up at the system requirements and cannot get GameTap to let me proceed farther with URU.

This is a big problem for me! And I don't feel particularly inclined to go renaming my drive (I like it that way and named it X on purpose) and then un-confusing my entire system when it looks for files and programs on X. Has anyone else had this issue?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next