It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:20 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Starfyre wrote:
But it does state on Gametap's website that minimum broadband speed requirement is 384k.

By the way, GameTap will also tell you on the phone that the 384 kbs requirement is for both upload and download speeds. Many economy broadband packages provide only 128 kbs or 256 kbs. Cable is generally better for upload speeds, but if you only get 384 kbs, GameTap recommends making sure nothing else is uploading through your internet connection. This would include anything else on your network uploading through the router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

"Why should I care if Gametap is happy?" someone asked. The simplest answer is that without Gametap's money we have nothing to talk about. It's because of Gametap that there is joy in Mudville tonight!

Right now I cannot get Gametap to even install. They say it's because of my slow connection. There is hope that Live will work if I don't go through Gametap each time. I sincerely hope that this can be worked out so I can have URU Live. If it requires that I go directly to a Cyan Server as will probably happen for the internationals (That's a misnomer for people not living in North America), that is OK. BUT, I will continue to pay my Gametap subscription because I want them to be very very very happy. And my single subscription is all I can do to help that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

EtoilePB said
Quote:
This is a big problem for me! And I don't feel particularly inclined to go renaming my drive (I like it that way and named it X on purpose) and then un-confusing my entire system when it looks for files and programs on X. Has anyone else had this issue?

That's a problem! All of the networks I have worked on start at Z: and work backwards in assigning system-owned drive letters, and work downward from F: in assigning user-owned drives. If a physical drive gets in the way, they just skip over it and make the necessary changes internally to accomodate. Programs that insist on using a particular drive letter are just plain impolite!

You could work around it by reassigning your X drive temporarily before running GameTap, and then putting it back afterwards. For sure you can do this from the Computer Management screen. Google or search help for "Change Drive Letter" for the details. Since a Microsoft program can do this, I'm sure some clever user written program could accomplish the same thing.

JWPlatt said
Quote:
By the way, GameTap will also tell you on the phone that the 384 kbs requirement is for both upload and download speeds.

That seems odd, too. My brief experience with GameTap included a 500MB+ download, but relatively little traffic going in the other direction.
Have you verified with tech support that they really require that much bandwidth going back?

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:01 pm 
I have to agree with Walt that it seems really odd that they require you a 384k upload. Shoot to get an upload of that fast you need to have probably a download of at least 800k. So basically you know what gametap is telling me. Go pay $20 more a month for a faster connection cause yours won't cut it. And I'm like no way. The only other option is go get DSL and my husband don't really want to give the phone company anymore money. He thinks they charge to much anyways. And I don't want to give the cable company more money for about the same reason.

Suffice to say this is just getting silly. Why would Cyan partner with a company that seems to want to alienate Cyan's customers by having requirements that cut out quite a few of the explorers. Myself possibly included unless I can test my upload speed and confirm I have a better upload then 384k.

Edit: One bandwidth test does both upload and download. I'm fine with the download as I'm around 500k but my upload falls below at 240k. Over 100k shy.

Now isn't this interesting. Another test says both download and upload are at 500k each. Now the question is which do I believe.

And a third puts me back to 500k download and 240k download.

Last edited by Starfyre on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

A month ago, I upgraded my AMD 64 based desktop system to a dual-core CPU. Yesterday, I signed up for GameTap. And nary a single GameTap game would run. Every game gave me an empty black screen, or a black screen with two grey framing bars at the edges of the screen.

I Went to GameTap's help and searched on "black screen". Not too helpful. Then I searched on "dual core" on a hunch, and sure enough, there was a "Processor Driver" update that I hadn't yet applied. Applied it, and voila! Fixed it.

Then I come to these forums to post about my discovery, and I find that Vormaen beat me to the punch by two days.

Vormaen wrote:
When I first bought my dual core system Gametap would not work. I called, and low and behold, it took an AMD driver to fix the issue.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here, and give props to Vormaen for posting his helpful knowledge. I should have checked these forums first! There's always someone smart around. :)

Lesson of the Day: Just because you are a "power user", have a high-tech computer and have high-tech knowledge and usually know what you're doing, it doesn't mean you know everything. I mean, Processor Drivers... who knew? Not Microsoft Update, that's for certain. It told me that my computer was up-to-date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I'm not mistaken, Uru was designed from the very beginning for broadband. I don't have the box, but assuming these review sites are stating the original system requirements, it states:

Quote:
PC Requirements: Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP, Pentium III 800, 256MB RAM 8X CDROM Video Card: 32 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 1, 2, 3, 4, or FX; ATI® Radeon™ 7000-9800 or better, 800x600 16-bit display, DirectX 9.0 compatible video card, Windows compatible sound card, Keyboard, mouse, Broadband connection for online play recommended

I also remember reading back when Uru live was still under development (and still known as Mudpie) that the game was being designed for broadband customers.

Besides, online games don't lend themselves well to dial-up. Even if the game itself is low-bandwidth and works well, if they make a, say, 50 meg content update, dial-up users will be updating all day.

And, Shadowcats, the authentication servers that Cyan kept running are still servers and still require upkeep. :P Wasn't really my point anyway, was just making an example.

Wafna, I was under the impression that the Beta download runs separately from Gametap. This may or may not be true of the finished product, that's just what I've heard. Obviously, I'm not in the beta so I don't know how all that works. I'm sure sure if those in the beta are allowed to comment on that.

As for payment, Shadowcats, there are no 'non-Gametap' serviced areas of the United States. All US members will be paying through Gametap by having a Gametap account. All international members will pay through Cyan, but if Gametap becomes available in their country, they will be paying through Gametap. My source is the Uru wikipedia entry, which may or may not be correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uru:_Ages_Beyond_Myst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:18 pm 

Starfyre, not to sound insulting, but dial up just can't handle some things.

I know that you can't get broadband, and DSL is a problem too; but when downloading the Age updates for Uru Live, they could be huge. What if a big update to the city was made. You would have to download ALL of those files again to make sure that they were all the latest version. On dial up that could take hours!

As said in the FAQ:
Q. Will dial up users be able to play Uru Live?
A. if they have superhuman patience, there is nothing stopping them from playing Uru Live.

When Uru gets mixed with GameTap though, everything gets a little bit more complicated.

Personally, I don't want GameTap, I don't care what other games are on GameTap because I won't play them anyways. I'd rather just sign up for Uru Live than have to download additional software and waste my time setting it all up. Of course, I'm in Canada, so I might not even have the choice of using GameTap.

For people in the US, I feel sorry for the dial up users. From what Cyan and Turner has said, GameTap will be the only way to access Uru Live from the US. Please Cyan, don't exclude the dial up users, they have been an important part of our community, and we cannot force them to upgrade to broadband just for Uru Live, expecially when many of them are using dial up because broadband would be too much money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:28 pm 

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Uru was designed from the very beginning for broadband. I don't have the box, but assuming these review sites are stating the original system requirements, it states:

Quote:
PC Requirements: Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP, Pentium III 800, 256MB RAM 8X CDROM Video Card: 32 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 1, 2, 3, 4, or FX; ATI® Radeon™ 7000-9800 or better, 800x600 16-bit display, DirectX 9.0 compatible video card, Windows compatible sound card, Keyboard, mouse, Broadband connection for online play recommended

Strange that my box just have

Minimum Requiements:Windows XP/ME/2000/98SE, 800MHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon , 256MB RAM , 4X CDROM , Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ or ATI® Radeon™ 7000 or higher, DirectX 8.0 compatible Audio card , 2GB Hard Disc Space , 800x600 16-bit display , Keyboard, mouse.

Recomended Requiements:Windows XP, 1,4 GHz Pentium IV or AMD Athlon , 512MB RAM , 4X CDROM Drive or faster , Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3 or ATI® Radeon™ 8500 or higher Video Card, Audio card SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Series,EAX Advanced HD, 2GB Hard Disc Space Free , 1024x768 32-bit display , mouse and Keyboard , DirectX 8.1b Supplied with the game.

Not a word that you need broadband to the original URU
But broadband may be one of the requiements for the new URU live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think that "broadband recommended" on the first box is a pretty good hint that you would need it for optimal play. Was the other box printed before or after Uru Live failed to appear?

Rant Mode ON:
I know many people are unhappy about it, but broadband is required to play a lot of on-line games today. It is not only the future of the MMO world, it is the reality of today. To require a company that is famous for its innovative use of technology to downgrade its product to satisfy people who don't want to pay for broadband is silly. For those that cannot get broadband, it has already been said that you can do it with a LOT of patience.
Rant Mode OFF:

BTW: Last time I looked at my map, North America included Canada and Mexico, so I presume the term International applies to them too :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:16 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

walt_scrivens wrote:
JWPlatt said
Quote:
By the way, GameTap will also tell you on the phone that the 384 kbs requirement is for both upload and download speeds.

That seems odd, too. My brief experience with GameTap included a 500MB+ download, but relatively little traffic going in the other direction.
Have you verified with tech support that they really require that much bandwidth going back?

I was on the phone with a support rep for about 20 minutes going over technical details, questioning him with surprise about the upload speed requirements. Did I call back to compare notes with a different rep? No. But I thiink it would be worthwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:50 pm 
Paradox wrote:
I know that you can't get broadband, and DSL is a problem too; but when downloading the Age updates for Uru Live, they could be huge.

Paradox I have broadband. Just the low end. Depending on who's right and all I could fall below the bottom edge of gametap's requirement. But I still have broadband.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:43 am 

Star, if you have broadband but not dsl and not cable, what do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:06 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Starfyre wrote:
But it does state on Gametap's website that minimum broadband speed requirement is 384k.

Ok, I'm not doubting you on the 384 up requirement. However, if it is true, this seems rather silly (as in, just an excuse). I can't think of any reason why 384 would be the MINimum upload speed. I am running gametap with wireless broadband with an average of around 150-200 kbps upload and it runs just fine. FWIW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Ahh, here are the articles I was looking for.

http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews. ... 001-154058
http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews. ... 52001-8132

The articles are dated May 2001 when Uru was still known as Mudpie. It also shows that it was Cyan's original intention to make Uru a broadband game.

Not trying to be abrasive or anything but it's not fair to claim that the revived Uru Live and the Gametap partnership is a sellout to the dial-up players when it was originally intended for broadband before it was even released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:32 am 
Obduction Backer

To those who are complaining because (1) Gametap requires "broadband", (2) your connection is "broadband" according to your internet provider, and (3) GameTap doesn't work:

An unfortunate Reality Check: Broadband has never been well-defined. It is imprecise and subject to personal whimsy. A lot of internet providers have claimed they are broadband because it is Hot Marketing Talk. Satellite internet has tried for years to claim that it is "broadband" but it has inherent latency issues that make it useless for bidirectional communication such as internet telephony (VoIP) or real-time gaming. "Broadband" is like the word "fast"; you can't prove that something is "fast" because different people will have different opinions on exactly how quick something must be to be considered "fast."

So, ignore the word "broadband" and look at the real specifications. Does your connection meet the minimum requirements, yes or no? If no, then GameTap may not work well or may not work at all for you.

Thrashing your head over subjective terminology will not accomplish anything. You have every right to be upset if you feel you've been lied to or marginalized. I sympathize with everyone that is feeling this pain.

But unfortunately, being upset won't change things. If it did change things, why, we'd never learn to stop throwing tantrums after the Terrible Twos.

If you are in the USA and want to change things, I suggest this: Help oust the political leadership in this country that has caused the US to fall to twelfth place in international broadband adoption. Fight back against telephone and cable companies that first refuse to roll out broadband to low-density population areas, and then oppose local initiatives for those same areas to create their own broadband network.

If broadband matters to you... raise awareness about the importance of broadband where it matters at local, state, and federal government levels.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next