It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:11 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't think we should be sitting around trying to pick one side or t'other, or fixing on a blame game.

What we should ponder is that, in the absence of solid evidence, or commentary from Cyan, or any such thing, that none of us really know what happened beyond "Well, that sucked."

Where we go from here, as players *and* explorers, will be up to the individual.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:41 am 
We may not know what happened, but Kaelri has some educated guesses...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:26 am 

have you read the uru obsession board? Vicky has stated that Sydney and the ADM are coming back, that she is no longer quitting and that she will no longer post on the forums or read posts

I feel like Sydney will be causing trouble from now on whether we want it or not, she will not listen to reason or the voices of the explorers.

Post subject: Keep it.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:40 am 

If I had a voice and/or was an explorer, Sydney would be listening to, "keep up the good work".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:57 am 

what good work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Babylon wrote:
I feel like Sydney will be causing trouble from now on whether we want it or not, she will not listen to reason or the voices of the explorers.

If you dislike what Sydney is doing, submit a ticket to Cyan - if they get enough of a response from the explorers, they won't have much of a choice but to dissolve the ADM.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject: Misconceptions
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:56 pm 
Cyan Employee

Eleri wrote:
What we should ponder is that, in the absence of solid evidence, or commentary from Cyan.

Fireman Fred says:

This should go without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Official characters in Uru Live have their own motives and opinions. It should not be assumed that Cyan shares their opinions. Specifically, this thread is aimed at Nick White. Things that Nick has said are being attributed to Cyan. It's just as wrong to assume Cyan agrees with all of Nick's opinions as it would be to assume that Cyan agrees with all of Gehn's opinions, or all of Yeesha's opinions, for that matter.

As with many things on the internet, your preconception when reading something will greatly affect how it comes across to you.

If you read the Nick chat logs with the mindset that Cyan is trying to motivate the players to create an anti-DRC organization, then you will think that Nick went out-of-character so that Cyan could make the ADM organization happen. For the record, that is not the case.

On the other hand, if you read the chat logs with the understanding that Nick has his own motives, opinions, and reasons for wanting to help foster an ADM (which is supported by everything revealed about Nick going back to Prologue), you will see that Nick remains in-character nearly 100% of the time, even when those around him do not. The recent chat-logs are no exceptions.

The fact that those who were going out-of-character concluded that Nick was also making out-of-character statements is a faulty assumption, especially given that whenever indirectly asked if he's in-character, he confirms it with an in-character response. At no time does Nick confirm that he's talking out-of-character, so the presumption should clearly be that he's speaking in-character.

The ADM serves Nick's own purposes, which should be clear by his actions.

Maybe Myst Online needs a disclaimer:

The views and opinions expressed by characters and actors in this game do not necessarily reflect the views of the game's developer, its management, its advertisers or its employees.

:)

Peace

The Myst Online Team

Post subject: Re: Misconceptions
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

greydragon wrote:
Maybe Myst Online needs a disclaimer:

The views and opinions expressed by characters and actors in this game do not necessarily reflect the views of the game's developer, its management, its advertisers or its employees.

:)

Peace

The Myst Online Team

That is very funny - and quite a good thing to know. Thanks, GD - something to ponder . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:52 pm 

Not sure how believable it is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

bbainter wrote:

Are you referring to GD's post? Do you think the Myst Online Team are liars? Then why are you playing their game?

Post subject: Re: Misconceptions
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:21 pm 

greydragon wrote:
As with many things on the internet, your preconception when reading something will greatly affect how it comes across to you.

I think that's very true. For everyone. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 pm 
Cyan Employee

bbainter wrote:

Please explain.

Do Sawyer’s actions on Lost represent the views of ABC?

Do Hiro’s actions on Heroes represent the views of NBC?

I’m not trying to go against your comment. I just want to understand the unbelief. To Cyan, Nick White is no different then Captain Nemo. Both are characters in an epic story. Both have a story to tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks GD...

I had the thought a while back, that something that sets Uru apart from most other experiences there there is a "Game Master" of sorts, is that not everything the characters does is deus ex machina.

In most games, if you run into a NPC, and said NPC says or does something, it's intended to further whatever the GM has in mind. In Uru, that isn't always the case. the NPCs are not marionettes. Even less so than, to use GD's example, Sawyer...because there is no script writer.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 pm 

While the views of Hiro are not necessarily the views of NBC, the actions he takes are in fact a reflection of what NBC (by NBC I refer to the people writing the show) wants to do with the show Heroes.

*editted stupid grammar

KI # 04260171

Last edited by Kolian on Tue May 01, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:52 pm 

Kolian wrote:
While the views of Hiro are not necessary the views of NBC, the actions he takes are in fact a reflection of what NBC (by NBC I refer to the people writing the show) wants to do with the show Heroes.

Wow! :shock: Something just clicked.
You summed up and changed my whole world view.

It's true you can't hold a writer responsible for a character's actions, but you can evaluate the writer for the subject matter. And that's the problem I have had with the whole ADM affair ...

I was hoping for more out of a Cyan/Myst adventure than cat-fights and player versus player shouting matches. If I wanted PvP, I would play Warcrack. I comforted myself in believing that Sydney must have been acting on her own; well meaning, but over zealous. But to see that she was prodded by Nick, and extensibly Cyan for the subject matter choice, I was at a lost. As a new player to MOUL, but not to the Myst series, I hoped for an integrated story to the puzzles and not an external soap opera. Perhaps there is more to come, as in the Vid disappearance. However, I've had to seriously evaluate, on several occasions now, that if this is what I am to expect, then I might have to change the channel.

Last edited by MikeFitz on Tue May 01, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next