It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Listen, I know I'm not alone here, but I gave up a night out with my wife so that I could play Uru tonight... and now I'm left throwing chairs around the room.

And before I go on, know that I'm not going to entertain any suggestions from this forum to "give them a break" or notions that "they're doing the best they can," because while that is true, and slack must be given, Cyan brought this on themselves when they promised tonight's activities to us.

I'm a loyal and paying fan, I believe in MOUL, and (while I'd like to) I can't honestly threaten to quit, but Cyan, you owe me and the Cavern an apology for what happened tonight. I will accept it graciously, and I will readily and immediately forgive you, but no more of this "radio silence," no more of this "we're reaching for the stars, and we're almost there" kind of talk. No more denials. You guys screwed up here. You again specifically promised fans and customers something you could not deliver.

Here's my story, feel free to share yours...

For weeks the suspense has built up toward this new episode, and the release of a brand new age. May 19th was the date, we were all told. We could expect a lot of new content starting then, a thrilling storyline, and maybe even Minkata will be released then, if not over the weekend.

Well, no. We got a few new Relto pages, some wonderful but largely inaccessible story content, and an announcement that Minkata would be released a week later. Okay... that's fine, it really is, at least we finally got a specific date for Minkata.

And not only that, Rand Miller would be in talking to fans! And I was invited... to a celebration! So, I cleared my schedule...

Cut to 3 hours ago: I figured to myself "Self, the Beginner's Bevin will probably be too crowded, so try it once or twice, but then go and look to see if other Bevins are relaying the messages as they did during the Wheely rescue."

So I tried to go to the "Beginner's Bevin, pop. 178" and froze out. Not just "black age" but actually froze my hyper-suped-up computer, running Uru on all-minimum settings (better safe than sorry, right?).

Okay, fine, so I tried the GoG Bevin. With a population of 33, they must have someone relaying the information, right?

Well, I'll never know, because I got the "black age."

I relaunched Uru. Tried again. I got the black age as I went to the Nexus...

Tried again. At the launch screen, I got an update. "Ooo," I thought, "Mintaka must have been just activated. Maybe I'll go to the city instead of trying to get to the meet and greet."

No dice. I couldn't even get to Relto. Lovely.

Between 7:00 and 9:00 (central time), I tried everything I could do to actually play this game. fiery abyss, I tried to simply log in to this game. Bubkis.

I've complained about bugs before, but this is inexcusable. Cyan promised us something, something specific, and few of any of us got it. I know I didn't, and when just one person is denied access, after trying for over an hour, their promise was officially broken.

I expect a formal and prompt apology from Cyan regarding this screw up. I expect them to behave like adults and ask us for forgiveness. I also expect them to promise to try to avoid these issues in the future.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:30 am 

Except for the reference to Cyan (I blame GameTap), I agree. I'm looking for an apology from GameTap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:32 am 

see my upcoming post

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:34 am 
Obduction Backer

While on one level I'm as frustrated as everyone else, on another I just have to sit back and laugh about this. (Which we're doing over in the "Minkata Screenshots" thread, if you feel like joining us...)

Cyan has brought me some of my favorite gaming experiences. I have a huge amount of respect for their creative work. The ages they've given me to explore have in many ways shaped the way I think about the world. When I see some amazingly pretty place in real lilfe, I often think, "Wow, this is like a Myst age!"

This is certainly a huge snafu. But, while I understand the need to vent and have been doing my fair share of it myself, I'm also able to take some deep breaths, sit back, and realize Minkata will be there waiting to be explored tomorrow.

Hopefully.

Last edited by aaronius on Fri May 25, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:34 am 

Vormaen wrote:
see my upcoming post

Am I in trouble? I didn't mean to offend, just state displeasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree that this isn't the end of the world, but if Cyan would grow up and apologize to us, than I'd feel a lot better about this. Wouldn't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:37 am 

I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:37 am 
Obduction Backer

A statement from somebody would sure be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I blame this:

(05/25 01:33:39) Rand: Let's /dance and crash this thing!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:40 am 
Obduction Backer

While I don't think I'll demand one, I do agree that an apology is in order. It's like if I said "Free drinks for everybody!" and then everybody looks at me, and I'm all "ohh crap I didn't realize everybody would want a drink..." Not malicious, but certainly not wise. An apology would be excellent, but at this point I'd settle for a statement. I need to know what's going through their heads right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:40 am 

Quote:
Listen, I know I'm not alone here, but I gave up a night out with my wife so that I could play Uru tonight... and now I'm left throwing chairs around the room.

That's your fault, not Cyan's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
(05/24 20:18:51) Rand: And I think we have more explorers concurrent right now than we've ever had as well.

That's from the Minkata release party chatlog.

At such high concurrency, it's no wonder they're having problems! It was temporary anyway (I managed to link into Minkata after a bit of trouble) but everything seems to be better now. It took me, what, half an hour to get in. Is this really something worthy of such outrage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Calam wrote:
Quote:

No, Cyan advertised an event. They had a responsibility to uphold that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:47 am 

LuigiHann wrote:
Calam wrote:
Quote:

No, Cyan advertised an event. They had a responsibility to uphold that.

I decided to take the time off from my wife, too, however, when I Stack dumped in the City just before 7:00 I went ahead and did something with my wife and kids. Interaction with the family brought to me by GameTap and friends, thanks, I had a good time!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next