It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Age creation tools
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:33 pm 

I saw somewhere an interview with Rend Miller,and he said cyan want to add age creation tools about 6 monthes after the game is released. :)

Just for you to know.

The stranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Keep in mind that Rand can be quite optimistic at times... and something which Cyan hopes to do 6 months or a year down the road can be easily delayed by various unforseen circumstances.

If I'm thinking of the same interview you are, I'm pretty sure Rand didn't make any blanket statements about when something like Age creation tools would be released... simply when he'd like or hope to see something like that released.

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:25 pm 

This is the interview:

And this is what he said:

"...I should get into the mythology just a bit because the idea behind Myst is people writing books that link to their own ages. Our goal in this is to let people do that very thing. We want people to build their own age, to write their own ages. It's a very complex thing to do. It was in the mythology and it is right now, but that's the path that we're taking.

Explain how players will build ages. How far along are you to making that happen?

Rand Miller: Well to begin with, we want to give people the same tools we have. We've got a lot of expertise and experience, so our ages can get pretty sophisticated, but it doesn't mean that we can't make those same tools available to some people.

We're always amazed at what our fans are able to accomplish, frankly, and by making those tools available, I think we'll be even more surprised. We've held back on that because we want to make sure we've got the final version of the engine, so we're not switching those tools up on people so they don't lose their work. But that'll be the first step. Essentially what we're creating in the mythology of all this is a writer's guild.

People can learn to write ages using the tools, and they'll write ages and become better and better at it. And then we even want a guild that facilitates that, that lets them explore their own ages and keep them somewhat separate from ours but with ways to get to them.

But eventually while they're doing that, we want to improve the tools as well, so you don't have to be quite so sophisticated to build the worlds. And later on down the line, it's much easier to say, "I can take this piece of this world, and this one of this one, and this one of this one, and make my own space that feels much more personalized." And that's the stuff that we'll work on as well.

When will people be able to start building ages?

Rand Miller: Some of it is resource-based. We would like to release those tools after the first six months -- and there are pieces of that that are already being put in place behind the scenes. We're trying to set up some structures with people, and there are some fans that already kind of know about that.

Yeah, that's a very exciting aspect of all of this.

Mark Dobratz: There might be some smaller pieces we can put in place before that, too, clothing design, or something a little simpler that's a little more straightforward for people who have bright ideas to bring to the game."

"We would like to release those tools after the first six months..." :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes...

"We'd like to release those tools after the first six months..."

There was never a solid time table in place. He also mentioned that some of those kinds of things are already happening behind the scenes. In other words, there are already some knowledgeable fans that have been and are continuing to work towards the process of custom Age creation... with various levels of Cyan's blessing and approval.

Even if Cyan was able to release something soon, I doubt very much that it would be something you or I would find easy to use without some previous background in 3D-modeling and texture layering, among other things.

I know their goal is to make Age creation possible and accessible to anyone. For a while, it will likely only be possible for those with experience in those areas. As time goes on, the tools will likely become easier to use... with a less steep learning curve.

I wouldn't hold my breath until Age creation tools are released, however.

:wink:

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is more likely the tools will come from the community than it will from Cyan to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Last edited by joaopedro on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the various public discussions, interviews, and Town Hall meetings with various Cyantists, they've indicated that fan-created Ages will (eventually) have a place in Uru Live. I believe Cyan has expressed that their idea is to have those Ages in a special section - perhaps/probably in the Library - so that folks will know they are linking to fan-created(OOC)/explorer-discovered(IC) Ages.

I imagine that some amount of Cyan approval and quality control will play an important factor in any "non-Cyan" age's release... as well as making sure that any content or story which plays a role in that age doesn't run "over or cross grain to" anything Cyan has done or has planned for the future.

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:38 pm 

Well,maybe cyan should just create a simple age creation tools.I don't think thet would be a problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next