It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:13 pm 

I don't know what recipe gives the greatest light. The pellets from these batches gave off as much light as I ever remember seeing before. Maybe a little more than before. Been to long.

We don't know yet whether the most light or the most score is more needed. Only time and experimentation will tell. Unless Cyan or the DRC come up with a "best for the lake" formula we are just shooting in the dark for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:14 pm 

Ozwell Spencer wrote:
Perhaps if enough people were to be involved, then maybe we could find the 100% recipe. By dispersing various probable recipes to people and having them try it out, then the 125,000 possible combination will not be so daunting.

It may be more daunting than we think. All cookers must be turned on and set to some non-zero value, but it appears that they don't have to be set at the *same* value. So, what we really have is 125,000 possible combinations per each of the 4 machines, giving 2.44 x 10^20 total combinations. One billion is only 1.0 x 10^9, so we're talking about a Very Big Number here. We're gonna need more people ... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Preachr46, from the second page:

"1. 813
2. 823
3. 831
4. 1416
5. 235"

Note that the last two values average to 825. So the average in the batch was consistent, but the last two pellets didn't mix evenly?

(I followed the old recipe and got a consistent 439 or 440 across three pellets -- the other two went into the Bahro cave.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Of course, while the goal for the cave (at least before, in PotS) is to have it bright enough to see, and glow long enough to see a while, this isn't the case for the lake.

The 50% metered pellets honestly seem to give the lake a more healthy orange glow than the sudden white burst we get from the 75% pellets. We want to feed the lake, not make it glow hot and fast.

Of course, until we find the correlation (if any) between the value displayed on our KIs, and the amount shown on the meter, we'll be having a tough time just trying to figure out how to express our goal even if we knew what it was.

And, as mentioned above, how do the four ovens contribute to the overall effect? There are only four ovens and five pellets, so it seems obvious that we're not getting one pellet per oven. It's more likely we're getting five pellets made from an equal mixture of the four recipes. This may mean we need three more recipes beyond the one in the cave in order to have the appropriate conglomerate.

Then again, it might be far simpler. Fascinating puzzle though. :)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject: 40/30/20
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:47 pm 

I used that formula and got a bright light when it hit the water. Do we have to have 100% on the meter and do we use all of the pellets in the machine in the lake? In POTS we needed pellets to get into the lower Bahro Cave So shouldn't we save some for the lower Bahro Cave?

Post subject: Re: 40/30/20
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

dogpenny wrote:
Do we have to have 100% on the meter and do we use all of the pellets in the machine in the lake?

We don't have definitive answers for either of these questions.

Quote:
In POTS we needed pellets to get into the lower Bahro Cave So shouldn't we save some for the lower Bahro Cave?

We'll probably need them eventually, but until we can get down there it's not really important. As for saving some... well it takes a while but you can always make more when you need them. :)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:57 pm 

You probably need not think of 4 'ovens' If there is one oven with four 'burners' and 'mixer' controls, then we control what happens in the oven. It is easier to set all burners to the same setting and optimize to the formula given rather than deal with the mathematical nightmare of the combinations available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:58 pm 

I am sure we will need them in the cave when we get access to the bottom. I dropped one in the cave and I could see some bahroglyphs down there that I couldn't see before I dropped it, just like in PotS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
You probably need not think of 4 'ovens' If there is one oven with four 'burners' and 'mixer' controls, then we control what happens in the oven. It is easier to set all burners to the same setting and optimize to the formula given rather than deal with the mathematical nightmare of the combinations available.

Hopefully it will be that simple, but why give four sets of controls that all need to be set to the same thing? It's a fact that there's four sets of controls. How they affect the outcome is an interesting proposition.

BrettM wrote:
I am sure we will need them in the cave when we get access to the bottom. I dropped one in the cave and I could see some bahroglyphs down there that I couldn't see before I dropped it, just like in PotS.

Exactly. It just seems like a waste of effort at the moment, since we already have an apparently functional recipe for that, and we can't actually achieve anything from that side of things.

I just tried two sets of 21|30|20, and got a consistent 50% or so on the meter. Over ten pellets, they averaged 641.5 units on the KI.

So far, the meter seems to correspond to the amount of light given off by the pellet. The number given in the KI does not yet appear to correspond to any observable effect.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to try two ovens at 21|30|20, and two at 40|30|20, and see how that affects both the light output/meter reading, and the KI value.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we may want to briefly pause this, Marie mentioned that more information on the pellets will be sent out in a KI mail tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:09 pm 

Well, Marie popped into the Prime City and stated that 'We will be releasing a message about the pellets' and 'Bad pellets bubble and steam'...

GOOD LUCK SEEING ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

The camera should change angle in third person so you would be able to see this effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Simon_Bitdiddle wrote:
Well, Marie popped into the Prime City and stated that 'We will be releasing a message about the pellets' and 'Bad pellets bubble and steam'...

GOOD LUCK SEEING ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE.
Down where? You don't have to see down into the bahro pellet cave. That's for Ahnonay. If the pellets are going to bubble and steam anywhere, that's Ashem'em (ErcanaCitySilo), ie the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:00 pm 

By the way, just in case our numbers start to vary horribly, I've finagled things so that I have all four of the giant mixers a-spinning. I don't know if this affects anything, but it's best to cover all of the 2.44 X 10^20 bases that we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Fusein wrote:
By the way, just in case our numbers start to vary horribly, I've finagled things so that I have all four of the giant mixers a-spinning. I don't know if this affects anything, but it's best to cover all of the 2.44 X 10^20 bases that we can.

Thanks for mentioning it, though I doubt that it'll have any effect. Those vats are pretty much shot, IMO. ;) I really HOPE that it doesn't affect things... that'd be way too much to account for.

I've added my current results to my sig, btw.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next