It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 am 

Varekai wrote:

And don't forget, in the Cavern, it's where "Women are still special". lol

:P I haven't forgotten! It was great meeting you in person, Varekai, and getting to explore LA with you (and everyone else).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:13 am 

Aricle wrote:
Varekai wrote:

And don't forget, in the Cavern, it's where "Women are still special". lol

:P I haven't forgotten! It was great meeting you in person, Varekai, and getting to explore LA with you (and everyone else).

Can't get over how ridiculous that store was :lol:

Serephina :D Glad to see you made it home safely!
It was awesome meeting you too!! I'd love to see you sometime in the cavern - I'll try to be online for a while tonight. Maybe I will catch you (and some others) there?

"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:11 pm 

A small group of us met last night at the top of the Great Stairs for a little reunion and some group shots, with thanks to Stephen C. for being the photographer. We are going to meet again this Sunday at noon cavern time in the Guild of Greeters' Bevin for a mini-Mysterium get-together. I hope you all can make it there! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:18 am 
Obduction Backer

File this under "better late than never." In fact, with Comic-Con looming on the horizon there was every reason to pound out this Mysterium 2007 trip report right now. I do this under sleepy conditions, and in addition to this I really have no memory of who I was with at a given time -- sorry! Now no two Mysterium experiences were the same, but I'm sure that all of them were memorable and enjoyable. Here is mine:
[spoiler]Day 1: Friday
Slowly we filed into the Comfort Inn, unsure at first, but soon assuaged by the camaraderie only Mysterium can provide. Once the group stopped growing, we set out to the coast (with me leading the way in my "snap orange" VW Beetle). We walked across the beach to the Santa Monica Pier, where we spent some time observing marine life and avoiding seagull poop. We found some neat hand prints on a large cylindrical sculpture -- I hope somebody took pictures. We then walked from the pier to the Third Street Promenade where we stopped by Puzzle Zoo for a look at their games and collectables. After that we returned to the motel, and all decided that it was time for lunch. I got my first taste of Carl's Jr. that day (and it wasn't so bad, really). After a food break, the group traveled to the Museum of Jurassic Technology. What is that, you ask? Besides being an inherent contradiction ("Jurassic Technology, really?"), it's terribly difficult to accurately describe this place. Without giving too much away – its mystery provides its thrills – it might be described as a conceptual art piece that dreams it's a museum (I swear the place keeps getting bigger every time I see it, though). It was getting late by the time we got back to the Comfort Inn, but we allowed the disorientation from the Jurassic museum to wear off before continuing to the final location of the evening: The Getty! The first place we explored in this massive art musuem were the gardens, which were suitably Myst-like. After having dinner at the museum cafeteria, we split off to view the various exhibits at our leisure. The highlight was the "Oudry's Painted Menagerie show, the subject of many of the pieces being a rhinoceros named Clara. When the museum closed, the group disbanded for the night.

Day 2: Saturday
I got a late start in joining some of the Mysterium crew at Universal Studios Hollywood (my brother came too, to my delight). The first thing I did was use the Single Riders line on the Mummy coaster to skip most of the queue. Ha! After that I "rode" Backdraft for my own amusement. The last order of business was to take the famous studio tram tour. By the time that ended, it was quite late and the group had to depart to a party at Shoom'lah's later that night. Regrettably, my brother and I had other arrangements that night (although I don't think seeing Daft Punk is much of a regret). I plan to return to Universal Studios again to ride Back to the Future, since it is being removed in early September for a future Simpsons attraction.

Day 3: Sunday
The last day! Mysterium found themselves downtown in the Chinatown district. A meal of dim sum was had by all, which was a nice change of pace from burgers. We all walked to historic Olvera Street afterwards, where we saw one of the oldest structures in Los Angeles ("as old as Tomahna itself," I remarked). Then we drove to the famous Bradbury building, the site of the climatic sequence from Blade Runner! My brother suggested that we should check out Clifton's Cafeteria, since it was walking distance from us. By now the size of the group had dwindled, but those who remained decided to check out the La Brea Tar Pits. After a tar-riffic time, the skeleton Mysterium crew headed to Hollywood! We did our tourist-y bit by checking out the Walk of Fame and Grauman's Chinese. To top the whole thing off, we enjoyed fast food at the local In-N-Out Burger: the perfect ending to an amazing get-together. I hope to see more Mysteriums in my lifetime, and then some![/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:39 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, everyone! And how fun to see what some of us look like in real life! Especially Serephina, since she is the one I've hung out with the most in the cavern.

Sere, you of course look nothing like I imagined! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

As a quick addendum to woxel1's post...Friday's Mysterium activities did NOT end after the Getty! In fact, I finally joined up with the other attendees Friday night after they got back!
We met in Westwood and stopped at local favorite Diddy Riese for ice cream sandwiches made with fresh baked cookies. They were fantastic. Then we were led on a tour of the UCLA campus by Vaaht. There was tree climbing, sculpture criticizing, whiteboard writing, and architecture marveling. Finally we waited with Vaaht at the UCLA bookstore for the midnight release of Harry Potter. It was a great night.
My Saturday was also different from woxel1's. I met others at the Descanso Gardens, a botanical preserve. We walked past ponds, dragonflies, miniature trains, roses, and even a pretty good replica of the hood fountain! After this, we went to a local Italian deli for great food and the best gelato I've had outside of Italy. A small group went back to the hotel, while another small group stayed at my apartment and played a couple board games until we left for Shoomlah's house.
The house itself was amazing, as were the MystWear table, the presentations, and the food and company. I was so sorry I had to leave early. Sunday I finally did meet up with woxel1, which he described.

This just shows the diversity and creativity of the Myst community--in a 3 day convention, I didn't even meet some people until the third day, yet we both had fantastic adventures. Go us!
Ryan

Post subject: Mysterium2007 Pics
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 pm 

Hey all...IB here.

I took a bunch of pics from Mysterium and posted names and locations on them. You can find them HERE!

I for one had a blast! Despite the lack of planning prior to the event, it was an aweomse weekend. This was my first Mysterium ever, and I cannot wait for future Mysteria!

See you in the cavern,
IB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:20 pm 

Aw, I can't make it this Sunday cause of Comic-Con, but I hope you guys have fun! Or if you reschedule, let me know.. :)

Here's my Mysterium 2007 photos from Saturday! Click on the "spoiler" to see them!

[spoiler]
Me at the koi pond! What is Varekai up to this time..??

In the Japanese garden area!
From left to right: Deem, Pager C, Serephina, IBnetweasel, and RyanSDavis.

Left to right: Jeff Wise, Vaaht, and Nisan!

Pager C and Deem! Awwww :D

I thought this tree (and lighting) looked really cool! Nisan and Serephina enjoying a semi-Haven experience.

Adventurers of epic proportion!

The great D'ni explorer Jeff Wise. :lol:

A clue!

Taking a break from adventuring. Left to right: Pager C, Serephina, Jeff Wise, Nisan, and some random bahro, er I mean, children.

We found this other snazzy pond! That's IBnetweasel taking some pretty pictures I'm sure some of you saw in other places lol

My own artistic shot.

Fountain dance time!
Left to right: Serephina, RyanSDavis, IBnetweasel, Vaaht, Jeff Wise, and Pager C. :D

I added this one in just cause I love fountain dances. This picture was taken by IBnetweasel!

Jeff Wise, Vaaht, and RyanSDavis.

IBnetweasel and Serephina

This gazebo felt very Riven-ish lol
Left to right: Pager C, Jeff Wise, Serephina, Nisan, Vaaht, and RyanSDavis!

And one with me in it, cause the garden is pretty, and I feel left out xD

More epic! And Ryan is gangsta apparently. Word to your Relto.

MystWear booth in Shoom'lah's backyard! They were really nice and had some really snazzy stuff!

Nisan in his handmade Ghen jacket!!

K'laamas in the linking book/reading cage in Shoom'lah's backyard.[/spoiler]

I would have taken more pictures at Shoom'lah's house, but my camera hates dim light. Sad.

Hope you all enjoyed the photos! Can't wait to see everyone else's too!

"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:36 pm 

Awesome pictures guys! Wish I coulda been there!

Oh well, I'll have my chance at Urupalooza :D

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

You are all sooo great!!! :P

Thank you so much for all those awesome photo galleries and great reports ... IB, your gallery is outstanding, with all those detailed descriptions, thanks for the efforts... I thank you all for sharing all the love and the light you've got at this wonderful Mysterium... Image

Hope to meet everybody at a future one...

Jana :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok guys I have finished getting the rest of my photos up of Saturday evening to the end of Sunday! Here we go!

[spoiler]So I guess this is what Universal would call "Myst" o.o

So many cones...

To Shoom'lah's!

Vid's made it alive... somehow

Sunday morning DimSum randomness

Into Chinatown

lolwut?

Blublublubbblllll tarrrrr

Hmmmmmmmm

Hollywood!!!

Epic!

And the finale? Playing The Manhole and Cosmic Osmo!! What an end =)
Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:57 pm 

Varekai,
What great pictures!!! Thanks for sharing them. We will DEFINITELY schedule something for yet another reunion in the very near future, as others can't make this date either. Why not have several?!?

Thank you all for making this Mysterium so fantastic. We all pulled together and had such a great time. No matter what we did and with whom we did it, it was meeting the people and sharing our love of all things Myst that made this event so very special.

I can't wait for Mysterium 2008!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:29 am 
Obduction Backer

..did...did I catch fire?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:38 am 

maybe yer just smokin' Image

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Some of the Mysterium survivors have met up in San Diego (by way of the San Diego Comic Con). The fun never stops on the fun factory!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next