It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions for the DRC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:01 am 

I'm starting this thread so we can compile a list of questions for Reteltee to ask the DRC, since he has indicated that he has a direct avenue of communication.

I was originally going to propose we ask him our questions at the All-Guild Meeting on the 20th, but I fear there will be too many and no easy way for Reteltee to organize them. So I'd like to do it for him. The easier we make his job, the more likely we will get answers.

If you can, please label your question(s) according to the following categories. I will compile the lists and try to combine or somehow reduce any redundant questions. Then during the meeting we can present the list (give Reteltee the URL) and request on behalf of all present that we would like him to pass these on to the DRC. (I still intend to have a Q&A with Reteltee at the 7pm meeting. However if your question is for him to pass to the DRC/Cyan, it might be better to add it to this list. Up to you.)

Guild of Cartographers
Guild of Greeters
Guild of Maintainers
Guild of Messengers
Guild of Writers
All-Guilds
Other Guilds

If you have other categories of questions, please mention them and I will add them. However, keep in mind that the simpler and less intimidating our list, the better the chances of a positive reception.

-------------

Edit: Here is the list of questions submitted:

Guild of Cartographers

Guild of Greeters

Guild of Maintainers
MustardJeep wrote:
While we are waiting for the Guild of Writers to get their feet under them; can the Maintainers do a little exploring in the cavern? If one small section of the city along the cavern wall is set aside for our practice, we can gain some practical experience working as a team, and engage some of the non-guild affiliated Explorers in some interesting projects. All with DRC approval before anything gets released.

Montgtomery wrote:
What does the DRC/Cyan envision as the core responsibilities of the Maintainers? Will we be approving only Guild of Writers Ages, or will we also be involved in some way in the approval of Ages released by the DRC? Will the DRC/Cyan or the Maintainers define the conditions for "approval?" And will that approval be solely in the hands of the Maintainers, or will the DRC/Cyan have a voice in the final decision?

-------------

Does the DRC/Cyan have any plans to use the Maintainers in any "policing" or "security" capacity? If the answer is yes, to what degree would we be allowed to accept or decline this controversial role?

Guild of Messengers
Lynnutte wrote:
Will the DRC have more and better contact with the Guild of Messengers so we can get news passed to the explorers at a more timely rate?

(And before someone reads Relayers instead of GOM, I meant Guild of Messengers.)

Shimmerillion wrote:
Would Cyan be amenable to making GoM news available in-game to explorers?

Examples: the latest copies of GoM publications laying on the table by the Pub for explorers to read; a subscribable RSS KI feed; an in-game imager showing podcasts; etc.

-------------

This one is along the lines of what Lynnutte asked, but I wanted to be very clear: Will the DRC pass news straight to the GoM (or will the GoM have to forage for it)?

Guild of Writers
The Noble Robot wrote:
Does Cyan/DRC have in mind a way to implement ages written by the Guild of Writers.

IC: Will they build a library for these books? And do they have a system for deciding which books to include? How will the GoW be involved in this process?

OOC: Is there a game mechanism in the works for getting explorers into player created ages? And since clearly not all efforts can be posted (for technical or other reasons) how will the submission process work, if it has been discussed at all? And how will the GoW be involved in this process?

All-Guilds
Narym wrote:
I suppose one question to ask (if it hasn't been answered already... ) is whether the formation and structuring of the Guilds will be mostly decided by explorers, or whether the DRC will have a certain amount of oversight in that regard?

MustardJeep wrote:
If we clear certian activities with the DRC council can we bring in our own materials to work on our own projects?

Montgomery wrote:
Since it appears that Cyan is pushing for explorer organizations to assist in the actual OOC structure of game-play (content, communication, etc.) can the "Cyan-approved" guilds (meaning those 5 currently in Kirel and any others added by Cyan) expect to receive any new tools to assist in these endeavors? For example, can the Messengers have an additional level of Buddy listing for mass-KI-mailing, or a longer journal character limit? Will the Writers be receiving Cyan-approved tools? Will the Maintainers have any unique tools to improve the inspection process or be given any control (similar to the traditional Maintainers) over explorer access to linking books?

-------------

Will there be any restriction on membership in multiple guilds? Leadership in multiple guilds?

Lil Missy wrote:
Can we expect more constant input from the DRC then what we've been given so far?

-------------

Reteltee, you mentioned that you will be reporting to the DRC regarding the guilds and progress, will you be gining us the same assistance?

MustardJeep wrote:
Can the KI be Upgraded? Just recently I picked up a spare KI for Mailing out information to those that expressed an interest in, but are not active in the discussions about the Maintainers Guild. The KI Journal can take anywhere from three to five attempts before managing to save one entire document.

-------------

Mention was made of opening the Guild Hall for the Guilds, but it is a massive structure..... When the Guild Hall is opened will it be Public Nexus links into Group specific areas added to everyones City Link tab?

Other Guilds
Montgomery wrote:
To what degree can the explorer community expect future "official" Guilds to become approved? In other words, is it generally encouraged for the explorers to attempt to recreate those of the traditional 18 for which there is a clear need? Are new guilds outside of the 18 likely to become "approved?"

hailahh wrote:
Has the DRC considered a forming Guild for visual, literary and performing arts and entertainment? If not, why not?

The purpose would be to foster community, relaxation, enjoyment and reflection on our experience in D'ni....

A "quality of life" thing for explorers, that might have added benefits and could intersect with some work of the other guilds.

Last edited by Montgomery on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:02 am 

All Guilds

I suppose one question to ask (if it hasn't been answered already... :oops: ) is whether the formation and structuring of the Guilds will be mostly decided by explorers, or whether the DRC will have a certain amount of oversight in that regard?

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Last edited by Narym on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Guild of Writers :

Does Cyan/DRC have in mind a way to implement ages written by the Guild of Writers.

IC: Will they build a library for these books? And do they have a system for deciding which books to include? How will the GoW be involved in this process?

OOC: Is there a game mechanism in the works for getting explorers into player created ages? And since clearly not all efforts can be posted (for technical or other reasons) how will the submission process work, if it has been discussed at all? And how will the GoW be involved in this process?

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:27 pm 

We all know the budget limitations the DRC is facing....

All-Guild
If we clear certian activities with the DRC council can we bring in our own materials to work on our own projects?

Maintainer
While we are waiting for the Guild of Writers to get their feet under them; can the Maintainers do a little exploring in the cavern? If one small section of the city along the cavern wall is set aside for our practice, we can gain some practical experience working as a team, and engage some of the non-guild affiliated Explorers in some interesting projects. All with DRC approval before anything gets released.

EDIT @ Montgomery
Nice question list seems like a handy place to gather and sort all the questions. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:01 pm 

Guild Of Messengers

Will the DRC have more and better contact with the Guild of Messengers so we can get news passed to the explorers at a more timely rate?

(And before someone reads Relayers instead of GOM, I meant Guild of Messengers.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:15 pm 

Guild of Messengers

Would Cyan be amenable to making GoM news available in-game to explorers?

Examples: the latest copies of GoM publications laying on the table by the Pub for explorers to read; a subscribable RSS KI feed; an in-game imager showing podcasts; etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm 

Well an imager showing podcasts might be hard as most are audio only. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:20 pm 

Maintainers
What does the DRC/Cyan envision as the core responsibilities of the Maintainers? Will we be approving only Guild of Writers Ages, or will we also be involved in some way in the approval of Ages released by the DRC? Will the DRC/Cyan or the Maintainers define the conditions for "approval?" And will that approval be solely in the hands of the Maintainers, or will the DRC/Cyan have a voice in the final decision?

Does the DRC/Cyan have any plans to use the Maintainers in any "policing" or "security" capacity? If the answer is yes, to what degree would we be allowed to accept or decline this controversial role?

All-Guilds
Since it appears that Cyan is pushing for explorer organizations to assist in the actual OOC structure of game-play (content, communication, etc.) can the "Cyan-approved" guilds (meaning those 5 currently in Kirel and any others added by Cyan) expect to receive any new tools to assist in these endeavors? For example, can the Messengers have an additional level of Buddy listing for mass-KI-mailing, or a longer journal character limit? Will the Writers be receiving Cyan-approved tools? Will the Maintainers have any unique tools to improve the inspection process or be given any control (similar to the traditional Maintainers) over explorer access to linking books?

Will there be any restriction on membership in multiple guilds? Leadership in multiple guilds?

Other Guilds
To what degree can the explorer community expect future "official" Guilds to become approved? In other words, is it generally encouraged for the explorers to attempt to recreate those of the traditional 18 for which there is a clear need? Are new guilds outside of the 18 likely to become "approved?"

Last edited by Montgomery on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:28 am 

Has everyone posted all of the questions they want Reteltee to pass along to the DRC?

From Reteltee's PM to me today:

Reteltee wrote:
I've already talked to a member of the DRC about their possible attendance of the Guild meeting. The response was "That's your job Reteltee, let us know anything we need to know". Heh.

I appreciate you starting a thread to organize questions/comments. That will definitely help make my job easier.

So the DRC are expecting this list; let's make it good!

Post subject: Other Guilds
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:36 am 

Other Guilds

Has the DRC considered a forming Guild for visual, literary and performing arts and entertainment? If not, why not?

The purpose would be to foster community, relaxation, enjoyment and reflection on our experience in D'ni....

A "quality of life" thing for explorers, that might have added benefits and could intersect with some work of the other guilds.

KI#00181653

Post subject: One more...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:21 pm 

Can we expect more constant input from the DRC then what we've been given so far?

Reteltee, you mentioned that you will be reporting to the DRC regarding the guilds and progress, will you be gining us the same assistance?

Otherwise known as AnElise KI #08563780

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:55 pm 

All Guild / Groups
Can the KI be Upgraded? Just recently I picked up a spare KI for Mailing out information to those that expressed an interest in, but are not active in the discussions about the Maintainers Guild. The KI Journal can take anywhere from three to five attempts before managing to save one entire document.

All Guild / Groups
Mention was made of opening the Guild Hall for the Guilds, but it is a massive structure..... When the Guild Hall is opened will it be Public Nexus links into Group specific areas added to everyones City Link tab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:25 pm 

Anthony - I guess I was thinking of video podcasts. Though you could have the imager show the logo and website of the group that created the podcast, while playing the audio in the room. :)

Guild of Messengers

This one is along the lines of what Lynnutte asked, but I wanted to be very clear: Will the DRC pass news straight to the GoM (or will the GoM have to forage for it)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:42 pm 

OK, I've updated the first post with all of the questions compiled so far. This thread can be locked, now.

If anyone has any questions for Reteltee to pass along to the DRC/Cyan, please ask him in person during the Reteltee Q&A seesion at the All-Guild Meeting today at 7PM cavern time.

Thank you to eveybody who submitted questions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]