It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

ATTENTION: There were various flaws in some of the questions, so I attempted to fix them:
  • I have replaced the word "rank" with "position", since that had inadvertantly caused confusion and dismay. (That means that 1.e no longer has separate distinctions between "rank" verses "position"; So I combined the votes together.)
  • Also, note that I have removed "member" and "non-member" as choices. When you start an organization, you automatically separate everybody into member and non-member.

I hope this helps simplify the questions.

Aemi wrote:
I do however see the need for administrative organization as far as the overall running of the guild, liason(s) to other guilds/cyan, forum moderators, website maintenance, etc.

What you're describing is equivalent to the "guild master" position. So, instead of choosing 1.a, you can choose 1.f.

Aemi wrote:
And I think that most of those positions should be held by people democratically voted into office, as opposed to automatically being held by whoever has the highest "rank" or has been there the longest.

Then you should answer questions 4 and 5, which relate to how these people acquire these positions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:16 pm 

With the changes in wording , I would like to change my answer from 1a to 1e. Add 3a and kkep 9a
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

I still think that ranks and positions are two different things, and can't really understand why people are afraid of a few ranks which hold no real life power. So, I'm unsure about how to change my replies, or even if I should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Changed mckendall's answers.

Ian: the descriptions are still the same, even though I changed them from "ranks" to "positions". So, your answers do not need to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:57 am 

Correct, 1.a and 9.a is my vote.

I'm with Eleri and Belford on this. Writing an Age is a project, he who starts the project is the team leader. That's not a rank, that's a coordinating function.

Outside of projects there is no need for leaders because there is nothing to lead. When we're not building maps, we're not writers, we're explorers. Outside of projects, there is no Guild.

The best writers will earn respect and they will be listened to.

(From the start I've had a bad feeling about Guilds, when I see discussions about ranks the feeling becomes a loud, clanging alarm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Aemi wrote:
I do however see the need for administrative organization as far as the overall running of the guild, liason(s) to other guilds/cyan, forum moderators, website maintenance, etc. And I think that most of those positions should be held by people democratically voted into office, as opposed to automatically being held by whoever has the highest "rank" or has been there the longest.

Agreedagreedagreed. You *NEED* people that everyone else knows are 'in charge', to know who to go to to resolve issues, who's got the authority to speak for the group (even if that speaking is based on a group consensus, having a single Voice eliminates confusion), and who's going to be the point person for contact with Cyan & other entities.

Some of those things can easily be decided amoungst individual teams, but some will need to be on a Guild level.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
Ian: the descriptions are still the same, even though I changed them from "ranks" to "positions". So, your answers do not need to change.

But if you're calling ranks 'positions', how are you going to call the real positions? :P

I mean, if we're voting for which positions are necessary within the guild structure, there should also be the options for: webmaster, secretary, public relations, archivist, catering, bursar, lecturer in recent runes etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Added Chacal's answers - thanks for coming back!

Eleri: it would be wonderful if you could turn your thoughts into answers for this topic; then I can add your name to those above.

Ian: Yes - there are a bunch of "positions" that could occur within a Guild. The problem I'm facing is how people can get hung up on a word.

[DIGRESSION]
In some object oriented programming languages, there is a construct called a 'template' which allows you to avoid explicitly using a type name in your code. You just refer to it by a non-descript variable (e.g., 'T') and people understand what you mean - without having to call it something specific.

If only the English language permitted the use of templates, we wouldn't be having this discussion... ;-)
[/DIGRESSION]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm 

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
The problem I'm facing is how people can get hung up on a word.

Thus, the MOUL public forums.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

ANNOUNCEMENT: I will close this topic at 00:00 GMT Saturday 22 September. Please post your opinions before then, as we will be forming the guild soon thereafter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:58 am 

1) d, e, f
2) a
3) b
4) a
5) c
6) b
7) -
8) -
9) b

Mar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:47 pm 

1. d, e, f, g
2. a
3. a
4. a
5. b
6. c
7. b
8. b
9. a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm 

1.Rank 1-Member who routinely helps with ideas with small contributions to various A.C.T's

Rank 2-Member who has participated in development of an age and who's contribution's and time spent on project,having been recorded, has reached atleast an 87 percentile rating.

Rank 3-Member has shown skills and dedication required to lead an A.C.T

Rank 4-Member has successfully lead atleast 2 A.C.T's and has been voted by rank 2 and 3 members as having shown compitence in Rank 2 and 3 fields as well as diplomatic skills needed for Guild to Guild interaction. At which time members (ranks 2 thru 3) have discussed and voiced concerns about actions or inactions taken on part of the rank 4 member which has been deemed as negative towards guild stability or survival, the guild members (ranks 2 thru 3) may put in for a vote of no confidence, being followed by a review of rank 4 members history in the guild,and finally a vote to keep or replace said member.

Rank 5-Member who has shown skills and dedication required to lead an A.C.T and of whom has lead atleast 2 A.C.T's and has been selected and voted on by the membership (ranks 2 thru 3) atleast 2 times into rank 4 position and of whom has not been either removed from office OR of whom has NOT had a vote of no confidence leveled against him/her.

2.a

3.a

4.a

5.b

6.b

7.b

8.b

9.b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Eleri wrote:
...You *NEED* people that everyone else knows are 'in charge', to know who to go to to resolve issues, who's got the authority to speak for the group (even if that speaking is based on a group consensus, having a single Voice eliminates confusion), and who's going to be the point person for contact with Cyan & other entities.

Some of those things can easily be decided amoungst individual teams, but some will need to be on a Guild level.

Knowing that this thread was designed as a poll, it's not the best place to debate policy, but right now it's what we have.

Eleri, may I posit a different model for decision-making or "issue" resolution that doesn't require having someone "in charge"?

Let's say our forums have an upper level open to the public, with several sections. Below that is a members-only level, and below that are areas available only to participants of various Agebuilding Projects.

By frequent polling of the active members of the (u)GoWs on any and all issues, consensus results can be obtained and posted to a forum topic specially reserved for these collective opinions which may become Guild policies. This topic also provides a central place where Cyan can check in to see how our Guild is developing and what messages our Guild has decided it would like to convey to Cyan. It could be available to the General area of the forums if appropriate, or tucked into the members' area if not.

Though some cite Cyan's erratic history of response to player efforts, I believe that in the case of these Guilds, Cyan will follow through on communications - so long as those communications are in a central location rather than buried in one of several dozen threads, and so long as those communications represent the opinions and desires of our Guild's majority rather than a few.

And the position of Guild representatives/ambassadors/envoys/emissaries/messengers/whatever to Cyan thereby becomes obsolete. If, for IC gameplaying reasons, the Guild membership decides to establish message-carriers to the other Guilds, that's fine and dandy.

Sure we will need to have many functionary positions - webmaster, forum moderators, server builders/owners/,maintainers etc. - but these positions will be carrying out the stated desires of the Guild as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Added answers from mar, Herohtar, and kena.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next