It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:20 pm 

Sorry people. I guess some of us aren't in the habit of automatically clicking on any banner they see, like me. Advertisers love me! :wink:

In any case I've made it clearer now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:18 am 

Bring yourself or bring your ideas. The site and forum are open! :)

click sig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Make a home, indeed.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:18 pm 

Your idea for the guild is very interesting. I am more of a creative thinker than writer.... so I understand where this is going and am also interested. Other creative writers have made posts that confuse Guild of Writers and age building. We need to correct the mistake that some are making that the Guild of Writers is only game programmers and not creative writers.

If you wish to collect the most creative minds that the cavern has to offer - you may want to make sure that you aren't distancing yourself from the guilds that Cyan has offered. When I first started reading this thread- it has a "rebel" feel even though that is not what I think you are after. You do give yourself more stature by using the Guild prefix to your name but you also take on the attitude of independence and being aloof. Not what I think you are going for. Many of the most enthusiastic and creative explorers are willing to work within the 5 guilds offered by the DRC/Cyan and you may be better served by adding your talents to the ongoing conversations. By adding to the "system" you will make it stronger- allowing for it to naturally branch off into different directions once the main direction has been found.

Just as the GOMe are bringing many established organizations under one roof- The Guild of Writers must be able to do so as well. This means not only the programmers, texturers and other graphic artist creating the visual - but the conceptual writers, storyboarders, and logic thinkers that an age would also need.

Many of the most vocal in the pre-guild of writers have been working on their own age projects for a very long time and are eager to finally have a way of presenting their well thought out and already in production projects. That does not mean that there is no more room for other groups to gather explorers whose collective ideas would also will fall under the category of Guild of Writers that is given by the DRC/Cyan.

We (all of us explorers) need to think in very broad terms about what these five guilds really are and although well intended, to segment off a good portion of what could be the most creative minds in Uru would be a tragic mistake. We need those minds working and contributing to the guilds as a part of the guilds- not off alone in a corner somewhere only to show up in cavern when they finalize an idea. Nor do we need them to try and undermine the system offered by being a renegade organization only thinking of themselves and demanding attention outside of the parameters Cyan offered. Make your points and offer your very interesting ideas now while the planning is beginning rather than later when others have already forgotten what is was you wanted to do.

Bring your ideas back to the conversations right here! Make creative group's home within one of the guilds we are starting and it will only serve to strengthen our community.

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I was taking over Zardoz's job as The Benevolent Dictator for the day, The Guild of Writers would only cover those who actually created ages. They would be a sub-guild in the Guild of Age Builders, as would ideas people, storyboarders, artists, etc. This isn't the way things are in practice though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:04 pm 

Ah well, (turns to walk away, mumbling again to herself)... it is important we all stand up for what we are interested in and try to form the guilds into a place for all interested explorers.... rather than giving up the discussion and going off into our little barho caves in the wall for protection..... Me thinks I need Atrus to come to the cavern.... he may have a better way to get "all" of us to work together - better than Dr. Watsons speech. Apparently, we only hear the parts of the that speech that suit our own agenda..... (sighs... )

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:09 pm 

I'd agree with that, Russ. I see the Guild of Ideas...and all guilds really... as a shop whose doors are always open for explorers to drop in with ideas, suggestions, tools, or to get help, instruction, advice. Each guild would be working on their own pet projects, too.

But "rebel" and "superior?" Not us. :D The other guilds seem to be setting themselves up as exclusive clubs that know what is best for all of us. It seems to me, in a perfect world, that the guilders are at the end of the production chain that starts with a concept, a vote, developed idea, outline, study, marketing.... blah blah blah...until it's handed to the guild craftsmen to get 'er done.

Actually, the Guild of Ideas could be viewed as a big suggestion box, out of which the guild members pluck the most workable ideas for them. Everyone has ideas, but a guild brings them more to life. I'm a ghostwriter novelist, so I know how true that is. There are plenty of people out there with ideas for books who cannot write. They hand me their ideas, and I write their novels. Welcome to the Guild of Ghosts.

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Romer Openfield wrote:

Actually, the Guild of Ideas could be viewed as a big suggestion box, out of which the guild members pluck the most workable ideas for them. Everyone has ideas, but a guild brings them more to life.

:mrgreen:

That's the way I took it, and why I hied myself over there. It's like a giant whiteboard where people write down their ideas, for other people to come along and go "hmm, I could make that work".

*eyes Romer speculatively* Ghostwriter, hmm?

KI#00001498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:37 pm 

I am not disputing the idea- I think it is GREAT! I only want you to bring your ideas here to join the rest!

Everyone involved in the cavern guild formations are creative. All in different ways. Some are louder than others and some think they know best- but who is really to say? Nothing has been written in stone yet and even though some think they may have- their stones may be quickly toppled and shatter when the final word is said and done.

I, me, Jenine- want you to contribute! I want to contribute and make the cavern a better place! Not to feel you need to go off and find a different room in the cavern to call home. I value your ideas and want to see you use them productively along with all the others. And I think Dr. Watson did as well. You don't have to defend yourself to me- or your reasons why you feel the need to assemble on your own. I am just trying to let you know - some vocal guild supporters do value what you want to bring to the table and think you need to be heard in the context of a five guild formation - well, even if it is only me... (but I can be pretty loud and annoying too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jenine wrote:
I am not disputing the idea- I think it is GREAT! I only want you to bring your ideas here to join the rest!

Is good. I certainly would like to see GoI ideas come to where everyone can poke at them :) Just from my 'entry level' reading over at the GoI, I can see the process unfolding :)

KI#00001498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:12 am 

To all Guild of Ideas members (and other interested parties):

I have had little luck in generating any interest in the Cavern Job Fair event on the Guild site, so I am trying my luck here.

I think this event will be a great opportunity to recruit new members and talk about the Guild. We need people to volunteer some time to be in cavern during the 24 hours to represent the Guild.

I can take the shift of 15:00 - 17:00 (cavern time) on the 3rd. I'm going to tell the organisers that we want to be stationed at the Library Courtyard (providing that position is not already taken), if no one objects to that. Does anyone else want to join me, or represent the Guild during different hours?

C'mon people, I think this is important.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4