It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:03 am 

Thanks everyone for voting for our site in the recent poll. We are pleased to announce the opening of our new forum (http://forum.guildofwriters.com/index.php)!

Please, join us there! We all care very much about the Guild and have worked hard to get this forum running.

See you on the new forums!

-The GoW.com Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:47 pm 

I would be much happier if threads such as these clearly specified that they are for the unofficial Guild- the thread title is entirely misleading and could lead to people feeling this is the official Guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:49 pm 

This is the official Guild at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I told you the "unofficial" think would cause confusion ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:55 pm 

People are only as confused as they want to be.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:57 am 

Paradox wrote:
This is the official Guild at this point.

This is simply and absolutely not true, and no-one has the right to declare so.

Exceptionally worrying when people make such assumption. Furthermore, it was specified during the creation of the organisation that that website represents that it was UNofficial.

There is no official Guild. There will not be until Cyan makes it so. This is a fan organisation. It has no more right to call itself official than any group of fans that decide to make such a project. Simple as that.

The comment about people only being as confused as they want to be is entirely glib as well. By saying that this is the site for THE Guild of Writers it is implying that it is the true in-game one, which suggests sanction by Cyan, which is entirely wrong and in contradiction to what Greydragon has said as a warning to those setting up potential guild systems. Such confusion is nothing to do with people wanting to be confused, and entirely to do with this thread being misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

You're thinking too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:35 pm 

Quote:
There is no official Guild. There will not be until Cyan makes it so. This is a fan organisation. It has no more right to call itself official than any group of fans that decide to make such a project. Simple as that.

This is why a large group of us that would like to make the Maintainers Guild, decided it would be best NOT to call ourselves the Guild Of Maintainers, or try to imply that we're official simply because we see no other group trying to do the same.

The solution that we've come up with after discussion and asking people's opinions is to call ourselves the Supporters of Pre-Guild Of Maintaners.

A long name to be sure, but it leaves no doubt about it. We're not declaring ourselves "Official" (as though that would many anything without Cyan's blessing), that we're trying to help build a group that we hope will become official, and that we support a guild that is for the Maintainers.

We would never be arrogant enough to declare ourselves "Official" without Cyan's blessing nor would we ever say:

Quote:
"This is the official Guild at this point."

It may not have been meant that way, but this statement is about as arrogant as you can get!

As Tweek said, the words Official and Unofficial can make people confused, as many people simply do not seem to understand that Cyan has made NOTHING official yet, except the idea of these 5 guilds, yet at the same time, they might be trying to find a group that they think is official :roll:

Hence the use of the prefix "Pre". It suggests that we hope to become the official Guild of Maintainers, but we also realize that no matter how many people we have, no matter how much hard work we put into it, Cyan could wipe it out with one word: "No."
But that doesn't mean we won't try, and welcome anyone that wants to help with open arms! :D

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:43 pm 

Anyone want to use tree leaves as currency yet?
And what color should a wheel be anyway? :lol:

(Sorry, this guild stuff just reminds me a lot of the Golgafrinchans. :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:44 pm 

Four years of constant hacking and tweaking on CC and UU; Their about as Official as it gets Community side, all they lack is the Official Cyan Nod. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

MustardJeep wrote:
Four years of constant hacking and tweaking on CC and UU; Their about as Official as it gets Community side, all they lack is the Official Cyan Nod. :lol:

Agreed, but it's still not enumerated who "they" are. Is this the H'uru folks? The alcugs project? Some dedicated would-be writers? I know who "they" are, or at least I think I do, but it shouldn't have to be work to figure out.

This site is great, but personally, I want it to gain traction on the strength of its founders' and members' reputations, not on the fact that the name sounds officially sanctioned.

It NEEDS to be pointed out that it's not official, but it also NEEDS to have its founders declare its *intentions* to become official, only then will it deserve followers.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

/they/ are the community. Does it matter if they are H'uru folk...or slacker folk or UO folk?

They are all part of the same community. And to answer, no, not all of them are H'uru/Alcugs people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:52 pm 

@The Noble Robot
I was referring to the people involved not the groups they are in.

Quote:
I want it to gain traction on the strength of its founders' and members' reputations,

The people who's names I know have already built their reputations with me.

Can't wait to see what is manage now that MO:UL is starting to get ready for Fan's to contribute. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:30 pm 

Yeah! What right does the only prominent group of players doing a particular thing have to claim that they're the only prominent group of players doing a paricular thing? I'm confused! I demand to see a series of well-constructed graphs explaining to me the difference between the official guild of writers, the unofficial guild of writers, the official guild of writers supporter guild, the unofficial guild of writers supporter guild, and the official unofficial guild of writer supporters.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:34 am 

The Noble Robot wrote:
It NEEDS to be pointed out that it's not official, but it also NEEDS to have its founders declare its *intentions* to become official, only then will it deserve followers.

The founders declaring their "intentions"? Look at the ages they've made, the work they've done for their intentions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next