It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Too much fragmentation!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:45 pm 

So we have spent almost a month discussing, re-discussing and some have gone ahead with their own plans while others are leaving to make their own guilds...

Hummmm, something is not quite right here- me thinks...

For as friendly as this community can be this is obviously not where it is happening.

You know just because Cyan decided there would be only five recognized guilds that did not mean we couldn't have 17,000 of them. But they will all have to fit, for now, into the five Cyan is offering or be content to stand off to the side.

The real point is to get involved. In your little group or as a big one. No family has ever been happy together all of the time- but they know they are all still a family.

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 pm 

Fragmentation is not even the word. It's like segregation. This is becoming a game of far-flung, exclusive forums.

I just re-read this Guild thread today, and it was quite an eye-opening reminder of the reality of the virtual Guilds.

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11891

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:30 pm 

Yeah, me too. (re-read)

That's why I brought it up.

Thanks- sometimes I think I am the only one watching the drama...

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

As I posted at slackers.

On the way to town the path splits into 2. One way goes through the forest, one around it. But both paths join again before reaching the town.

Basically, what looks like fracturing now, may not be in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:58 pm 

I suppose if you think of a guild as something that is elitiest and seperate from the community I could understand why having so many would be problematic. Some are like that.

On the other hand if the guild's purpose is to give the community some benifits I fail to see what the problem is. The more guilds that are commited to helping the community the better I say. It would be nice if everyone fit into the nice cookie cutter like mold that CYAN has placed in front of us. But if Reteltee is to be believed and the guilds are to be comprised of the community itself, then the guilds need to be reflective of that community. Which means that some might have to color themselves outside nicely drawn lines.

Right now, you will see guilds that will pop up. Some will indure others wont. Time will sort them all out, I think you can trust in that. Its a time where leaders or "self appointed" leaders will emerge and time will lend to their creiblity as they prove themselves to the communty at large. SO basically as there are 17000 guilds now that number will likely diminish over time. Then members of the communty can select a guild that best reflects their talents or interests. If no such guild exsists they can create one.

We have to becareful when we start to set limits on guilds, because that in a way sets limits on our community and that can have a very negitive effect on us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:13 am 

What is slackers? Sorry, I don't get out much. I get my info here. Also, the journey isn't about the path, it's about who is driving the vehicle.

Thanks for your thoughts, Abguy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:42 am 

I get the impression that we're being a bit too hasty in judging the end product of what we're doing now. Especially in light of the fact that we don't really know what the road ahead even looks like, to borrow the metaphor.

One thing is certain. Whether it's five groups or five hundred, the community is getting excited and most everyone is active in a group of some kind to some extent. All this stimulation should bring out some great ideas and some not-so great ideas. It is the nature of things that the good ideas are likely to prevail and, although likely not without some angst, the bad ones will fail.

So, be patient, see where the road you're on leads. Likely we'll all find the destination we're looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Romer Openfield wrote:
What is slackers?

Guild of Slacker's forum has been around for a long time. :wink:

Home of the infamous ‘The Steam Room’. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:51 am 

Thanks, I don't need another forum. I've been around since '03 and never heard of Slackers. But thanks.

About the new guilds? It is just that I haven't heard of anyone voting on guild leaders, or projects, or community priorities, or empowering the "we" that you speak of. This seems to me to be a classic case of Ready, Fire, Aim.

I guess part of my problem is really that I returned from the summer away from MOUL too late, after the Guilds were already in full swing. Now, it's just too late to effect the direction.

But I hope you're right and at the end of the road the train wreck will find the rails again. I think I'll just zip the lips for now and see what happens.

Thanks for your comments, and all the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

"It is just that I haven't heard of anyone voting on guild leaders, or projects, or community priorities, or empowering the "we" that you speak of."

Scroll back in this forum, and you'll see literally dozens of threads polling people -- and soliciting ideas -- on Guild goals, structure, policy, priorities, missions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I've been around since '03 and never heard of Slackers.

8) Queue fi: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is too BAD (t-shirts :wink:) you missed the Shard Hoppin’ days. Wutt Evah. :wink: It is a part of what got us here today … :wink:

There were 40+ UU shards around the world. Slacker’s Shard & Forum was but just one of many. 8) Alot of the forums are still out there today. T TGT HB H LCoA TCT CNN SF RL COBBS GoG MC MT A, the list is off the page it is so long ... 8) There is a global interest here that is so trip ... 8)

Papa Smurf & Crew Slackers' Mastery of the ‘AdminKi’ was surpassed by no one else. The one ResEng use today I think. :shock: There were ‘Sani-Cones’ in the City no less. No lines either. :wink: Merc's 'The MAZE'. The list is long. There were lots of stuff goin' on back in the day ...

Slackers' ROCK !! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Not to derail the thread any further, but:
Quote:

The word "since" without any disclaimer implies continuous presence, so I don't feel this is a reasonable claim. I cannot imagine that anyone who truly stuck with this community through 2004 and 2005 hasn't heard of Slackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 am 

Marten wrote:
Not to derail the thread any further, but:
Quote:

The word "since" without any disclaimer implies continuous presence, so I don't feel this is a reasonable claim. I cannot imagine that anyone who truly stuck with this community through 2004 and 2005 hasn't heard of Slackers.

While I generally agree, let's cut people some slack (oh, what terrible pun) for not being particularly familiar with UU minutiae.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:26 pm 

Not sure what is on slackers, but, as the explorer CountryEastern, I was in Prologue, UU, onward to today. I wasn't an obsessed player, but I was there, dropping in to chat, wander, dream. I am also an OOC player and rarely participate in any other forum but this one (and the GoG forum during Prologue, when I was a Greeter). In fact, Marten, you and I used to get along quite well.

That said, I've been associated and playing Myst games since 1993, and have not heard of Slackers, as astonishing as that might seem. I will check it out, though, and fill out my resume at long last.

Sarcasm aside, I do not follow every player-created thread of this game on the various forums and interest groups. I'm not an URU groupie, so perhaps that's how I could have missed things.

I thought perhaps asking about it I might be informed, and not slandered. (:) I'm just joking. I really don't care.)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:28 pm 

Alright, I'm going to back off and let the groups work it out... and just watch for a while.

My hope is that they will all welcome anyone who has an idea or skill and offer them a little corner of their pub. Never hurts to hear new ideas or review the ones already offered- with an open mind. And I have been pushing too hard for staying open and gathering everyone- Sorry. My intentions were good and tried to be objective- but we all know what that means...

I still think this will be a total team effort and if not handled carefully we could loose more explorers than help. But I am going to trust the judgment of the emerging leaders and wait. Still would love to help and offer suggestions if anyone would like a fresh viewpoint from someone not intimately involved.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next