It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Beware, this is another marathon post from yours truly. ;)

Now that the majority of the discussion regarding the five DRC-sanctioned Guild-esque organizations has died down, I feel now is an appropriate time to step in with my thoughts on drumming up some interest and support for the Archivists. I will note rather unabashedly that I consider myself to be one, after a fashion, and will also note with continual amazement that several others have regularly referred to me as being something of a go-to person for this group (really, I just like doing this, so people paying attention to me always takes me by surprise ;)). Anyway, since I seem to have some aura of importance in this subject, I figured it would behoove me to actually make use of it, since nobody else seems to be stepping up to the plate.

I'm going to be brutally honest, and probably plug DPWR more than is perhaps necessary, but that's mainly because I don't feel like beating around the bush at the moment, and I have invested a good 7 years of my time building it into the resource it is today. That said, please don't take my comments as ultimatums (ultimata?). I want to discuss what role (or roles) a history-oriented organization should take on in the Cavern, and how to go about realizing those goals, both in-game and out. These are just my thoughts on the subject, which have had considerable time to percolate into what I think are solid ideas. Feel free to contribute your own thoughts to the mix. I also wish to add, for the record, that I am writing this and undertaking this as a fan; not as a moderator, Cyan employee, or anyone else in any sort of position of elevated status. Pretty much the only thing going for me in that realm is the fact that I live in Spokane. ;)

Unlike the Guilds which Cyan and the DRC decided to promote in Kirel, the Archivists don't really have a very well-defined set of responsibilities based on the released canon of the series thus far. Pretty much all we do know is that they were in charge of maintaining an archive of the Council minutes, and had a hall of records dating back over 6,000 years on an Age called Gadar.

Based on communications which Montgomery had with RAWA earlier this year regarding his planned Guild of Inspectors, it would appear that a sort of sub-resposibility of the Archivists was to catalogue changes and maintain accurate accounts of the contents of the D'ni Ages; no doubt they worked closely with the Writers and Maintainers to accomplish this objective, but nonetheless, it was evidently one of their duties.

What I would like to see the Guild of Archivists do is develop and maintain a central repository for information about Uru: the Ages, the characters, the past events (in chat logs, photos, and videos), the machinery, the backstory, etc. As something of an extension, because Uru is situated in such the wealth of (convoluted) knowledge that is the Myst Canon, maintaining an accurate record of the rest of the series and the novels (as well as incidental and apocryphal material) should also be an important goal. Obviously, if content from the games gets released in Uru, the relevant sections of the archive would need to be updated, which means this needs to be easy to do.

The Archivists, then, should have at their disposal a Wiki or Wiki-like site outside of the game in which to store all of this information. It can and should be open to contributions from anyone, but the Archivists would be primarily responsible for maintaining it and ensuring its continued accuracy. This site would also be open to public consumption, and be easily searchable by content and keyword.

This is the point at which I start plugging DPWR for out-of-Cavern information access. With over 875 entries so far, it's one of the largest Myst databases on the 'net (superseded only by MystLore and perhaps Kehrin's D'ni Desk Reference). I personally feel that DPWR is better-suited to be a "Guild of Archivists"-oriented site because I made considerable efforts when I started it to treat the universe as if it existed, rather than just as a series of games and novels (although there are regular references to them, both because that's how people remember the content most of the time, and because Myst canon folds back in on itself like some freakish geometrical monstrosity ;)). That said, I have no objection to creating a sort of distributed network of inter-linked Archivist-oriented websites, but I'm a big proponent of not having to visit 3 or 4 sites when 1 will do just as well, and be easier for users to interact with, and for staff to maintain.

As it stands, DPWR's Archive isn't exactly "all that", and can be difficult to use, both from a user's standpoint and a staffer's standpoint. However, I'm nearing completion on a long-overdue upgrade to the Archive which drastically overhauls the old system and replaces it with a more Wiki-like structure. It's not a perfect Wiki, but it's by all means a vast improvement over what's there now. I aim to have the new system in place before Exodus begins later this month, and I welcome any feedback or suggestions you may have both before and after I complete the upgrade.

Now, with my plug safely out of the way, I could fully understand it if there was a desire to create a new site whose sole purpose was to provide an archive of information, hosted at a site like guildofarchivists.org or somesuch. I just really dislike reinventing the wheel, especially when three or more well-established sites fit this niche more than adequately. I feel that taking advantage of existing resources is a wiser use of time, energy, and resources than building something completely from scratch simply because a more organized and official Guild-based architecture came along later.

To get down to brass tacks, I think the Archivists should work very closely with the other Guilds and organizations in the Cavern. The Messengers (i.e. Relayers, TCT, CCN, etc.) would be of considerable assistance i collecting logs and documentation of important events in the game for archiving in whatever database ends up being used. The Cartographers could provide maps and other data to accompany Age documentation, with reciprocal links placed back to their own website. The Writers and Maintainers, at whatever time they end up taking center stage, could easily benefit from integrating their libraries, catalogs, and findings with the Archivists' efforts for continual (perhaps mirrored) information storage out-of-game. The Linguists (or the DLF, or whomever) could work with the Archivists to make their translations and resources available in multiple locations, again with reciprocal links back to their site from the archive.

Ideally, I'd like to see information recorded for each day in the Cavern, be it an Episode day or not. Special events, Guild meetings, etc could be archived for future reference in print, photos, and videos. Each day's details would be tagged with a day, month, and year, and be easily discoverable by members, creating an ever-expanding timeline of Uru history. In addition to strictly in-Cavern tags, content could also be tagged for the episode in which it took place, since at some point we do have to recognize that this is ultimately a game, and should construct our resources accordingly. However, a little realism never hurt anyone, and I think it lends itself to a more compelling account than viewing this whole thing as just a game. Ultimately, I'd like the archive to be in-Context, by which I mean it treats the game as a reality insofar as it's appropriate, but will stray out-of-character in the event that it benefits the article (like discussing gameplay-related changes to Er'cana between PotS and Live).

THis is all well and good, but I'm basically documenting a system by which Uru can be organized, quantified, and easily referenced. While that's a great amount of what I think being an historian is all about, this all does nothing for making information available in-game, or taking advantage of the DRC's presence in the Cavern to get things accomplished. Allow me to expound upon this.

A couple of months ago, I created a "walking tour" of Ae'Gura from a User-Created Marker Mission. I used the text field of the markers to print historical information to the chat channel for that player to read. The markers followed a set path, and wound around the City, covering the names of buildings, ancient D'ni history, and concepts like the Great Zero's original purpose – as well as more recent events, like Phil's incident in the Guild Hall back in Prologue, or Wheely's death in Scars. I received numerous comments thanking me for creating such a useful guide to Ae'Gura, and asking if I was planning on making more such guides for the other Ages. While I never quite got around to it because of real-life concerns, I continue to feel that these sorts of self-guided marker tours are an excellent resource for the Archivists to take advantage of, requiring no special tools or additional design/development work on Cyan's part. It's something that can be done now to enrich the content we already have access to, and provide newer players with new insights into the Ages they're exploring.

In addition to this, though, I want to begin pressing the DRC (and, by extension, Cyan) to release additional information they may have on the Ages that have been released. By releasing information to the Archivists for distribution through existing channels, the DRC can get more information out to the explorers with a minimal amount of effort on their behalf. Ideally, better ways to distribute Marker Missions and maintain collections of text files in the game itself would be welcome improvements, but grassroots content distribution is already possible, and I feel it is important for Cyan and the DRC to take advantage of it. This would enable Cyan to provide a richer content experience without placing the onus of development, integration, and testing on them.

Now, for the pavement-pounding...

I strongly encourage anyone interested in the history of the D'ni, and the history of Uru itself, to make yourselves heard when the DRC return for Exodus this month. Talk to Cate, Marie, Laxman... anyone who will listen, and illustrate to them that there are avenues of communication ready to be taken advantage of in the Cavern. I want to stress that this needs to be done in a productive manner. Simply demanding more information from the DRC without providing useful options for making that happen is just asking for a repeat of the ADM's loudmouth and ultimately worthless clamoring back in March and April. Send feature requests to Cyan through the support site as well; hit them on both fronts with this request, but by all means, do so politely and constructively.

I am open to anyone who is willing to discuss ways to move forward with bringing the Archivists back to the Cavern in a real way, especially if there is going to be a span of a few months until the next season's first episode. It may not be new content and puzzles, but more information is at least something that can be used to tide players over without resorting to sparkies and santa hats. I will be making every effort to be in-Cavern to drum up interest in this cause during Exodus, and anyone who sees me is more than welcome to join me. I would also like to discuss plans for both in-game and out-of-game ways to record our history, be it here, at DPWR, or in the game itself, so feel free to chime in if you are at all interested. I may try organizing a meeting or a town hall or something in the Cavern if interest is high enough, but we'll see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:08 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Just a quick question (or maybe rather a suggestion) about the functionality of the future wiki (ish?) DPWR revamp you are currently working on.

I posted this before... and have been asking around trying to find coders / website hosters for the idea of a chatlog database, so far I got interested nods and "ooh neat", but no commitments yet, due to lack of time ect.

Here is how it could work.
Contributers would collect chatlogs and plug them in. I am talking also about "stealing" them off of other sites (a link to the source of the copied chatlog can be provided at the bottom).

Additionally, there would be certain (mandatory and/or facultative) fields to be filled out, for the chatlog to be tagged properly: date, time, location. Tags fields could also be added for NPC names (not sure if necessary, since searching the database would also search the text body).

Contributers can edit an entry later on, like add a location or add formerly missing parts of the first version etc.

Ideally, all chatlogs of all times, past present and future could be entered.
Ok, well, maybe this is exaggerated, but I think the point gets across. A complete collection.
To accomplish this, a lot of helpers would be needed. I mean, I am willing to surf my favorites and cut & paste my tushie off on this, but the more people work on this, the sooner the ideal of a complete collection can be sorta reached. Therefore the contibuter interface should be as simple, and easy handle as possible (less inhibiting, lesser possibility to "screw something up"). Also make the access to become a contributer simple and fast.

Now for the neat part, what it's for:
You can search, and not only by tags, but by search words by which the full text bodies of the database is searched.
Show me a list of all chatlogs Laxman speaking AND lattice. (Note this is different than just Laxman AND lattice, since that could make lots of logs be listed in which Laxman is merely mentioned, not speaking. Not that this can't be a neat thing to search for, but it's different).
Show me all logs with Nick White, date between February and May 2007.
Show me the first mention of the term Bahro by DRC members (list sorted by chatlog date). Or a list of Phil Henderson chatlogs, list them by date.

After entering, you get that list.
From clicking on the items on the list (which could be sortable, maybe also by other criteria than date of log) a new window would open, displaying the full log, preferably with the search terms highlighted, NPC lines bolded (maybe combine with amonre's chatlog editor).

(I heard there's websites that do this for Bible quotes that work similar)

This way research can be done quickly and the time needed to read the often so messy things can also be minimized, because of the highlights.

My question is: Will this be possible with your new site and if not, can you implement it without lots of additional work/pain? That'd be so cool. Unfortunately I can't do it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

As for a chat log databse, I think I have that covered, for the last few months I have been working on a new build of the firemarble which stretches back to the start of it all in 2003, I've been scouring the archives collecting logs and information about the evens of the cavern.

I'm hoping to implement a search feature like the one mentioned above however getting the archive up is more important to me at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:36 pm 

Your chat log database idea is really great. I've been toying with the same idea, but I simply don't have the time to start working on such a huge project. I'm willing to give a helping hand people working on such a database, though.

That said, the source for my chat log formatter (written in Ruby) is available for free. It's public domain stuff, so you can with it whatever you want (get it here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Amonre!
Very valuable tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice to see more people interested in a GoA. :)

I think archival is necessary, for old Explorers and newcomers alike. When I first discovered the Myst series and made my through all the games and Uru ABM, it was DPWR and the D'ni Desk Reference that helped me keep all the lore straight, and introduced me to the events of Prologue. Without them, I would've felt overwhelmed when MOUL came back on the scene.

DocOlanA, Uchee, myself, and some others have shown interest in a Guild of Archivists. In addition to archiving material and petitioning for more D'ni historical content in-game, some of us also have ideas for personal research projects. An example would be, say, studying Native American cultures in New Mexico and see if D'ni "knowledge" is present there (going by the theory that some early D'ni made their way to the surface when the fans were being installed).

We had bandied about some ideas of our own website, but if all of you are working on this so extensively, I think we should definitely use DPWR and Tweek's Firemarble. There will be a lot to archive! Guild meeting minutes, research papers, Books of Commentary, DRC KImails and notebooks, chatlogs... :shock:

DocOlanA will probably set up another meeting before the Season Finale. Anyone who wants to attend is more than welcome. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

ireenquench wrote:
I posted this before... and have been asking around trying to find coders / website hosters for the idea of a chatlog database, so far I got interested nods and "ooh neat", but no commitments yet, due to lack of time ect.

Here is how it could work.
Contributers would collect chatlogs and plug them in. I am talking also about "stealing" them off of other sites (a link to the source of the copied chatlog can be provided at the bottom).

Additionally, there would be certain (mandatory and/or facultative) fields to be filled out, for the chatlog to be tagged properly: date, time, location. Tags fields could also be added for NPC names (not sure if necessary, since searching the database would also search the text body).

Contributers can edit an entry later on, like add a location or add formerly missing parts of the first version etc.

Ideally, all chatlogs of all times, past present and future could be entered.
Ok, well, maybe this is exaggerated, but I think the point gets across. A complete collection.

That's definitely something that would be possible in the new system. The system as it stands already has support for user-created "categories", which are sort of like tags, but in reality are probably closer to the Wikipedia "category" concept: ultimately, it's a lot more flexible than the current "an article can only exist in one category" system I've got going at the moment, but it's not quite as Web 2.0 as, say, a blogging or del.icio.us-style tagging system. Perhaps as a future modification, though, so there would be descriptive tags in addition to the structural ones. That'd take some reworking of the search though, so it probably won't be there out of the gate.

Quote:
Now for the neat part, what it's for:
You can search, and not only by tags, but by search words by which the full text bodies of the database is searched.
Show me a list of all chatlogs Laxman speaking AND lattice. (Note this is different than just Laxman AND lattice, since that could make lots of logs be listed in which Laxman is merely mentioned, not speaking. Not that this can't be a neat thing to search for, but it's different).
Show me all logs with Nick White, date between February and May 2007.
Show me the first mention of the term Bahro by DRC members (list sorted by chatlog date). Or a list of Phil Henderson chatlogs, list them by date.

You could certainly do multiple keyword searches for those instances when the tags you're after might not exist. The way the system works, you could certainly limit your query to only chatlogs (instead of the entire database) that took place in September of 2007, or if you know the name of the episode, you could use that instead. However, because the tags in DPWR's Archive are more organizational than descriptive, you'd be more constrained to full-text keyword searches (though admittedly, if you put in "Laxman lattice" for the keywords, and picked "chatlogs" as the tag to search on, you'd probably get some pretty accurate results).

Quote:
After entering, you get that list.
From clicking on the items on the list (which could be sortable, maybe also by other criteria than date of log) a new window would open, displaying the full log, preferably with the search terms highlighted, NPC lines bolded (maybe combine with amonre's chatlog editor).

I'm not presently in front of the development version of DPWR, so I don't remember off the top of my head whether the search tool allows for sorting by specific criteria like date or whatnot, but I'm inclined to think that this may be the only spot where DPWR might not match the vision you've got here. However, unless I'm wholly mistaken, the search tool will open up a returned article with the keywords you searched for highlighted, so there's half of it, at least :).

I may, at some point after the initial launch, try to do something crazy like build amonre's log formatter into the posting mechanism for the Archive when you post to the chatlogs category, so that you don't have to do any extra work before adding a log to the Archive, but that's definitely a post-launch idea, because there's enough other parts of the site I still need to get functioning first, and despite the fact that it's delaying the Archive's upgrade (which is ready to roll now actually), the entire site needs to be upgraded whole-hog because so much of the backend has changed since the last upgrade a couple of years ago.

I may cut some corners and get the basics done for the non-Archive-oriented sections of the site, and then roll out complete functionality to everything else over the next couple of weeks, because I'm not sure I can get all of the programming headaches resolved by the end of this weekend, which is dangerously close to "mid-October".

On the subject of meetings, if anyone organizes something in-Cavern to discuss archivist-related stuff, definitely post about it here so I know where to be and when. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:43 am 

I’d really love to help out with any effort to create a central archive or even a system of sites. I’m more or less mod for the Wiki at the DZS site and I think the database of animals and plants we have is not only extensive, but well written and structured (I would say that though wouldn’t I! :lol: )

I know the guys over at the forums would like to make our information and the expertise of some of the group more available to the Explorer community. So if there’s any way we can help out or you can use what we’ve got that would be great.

I’d be little use with helping out with site maintenance etc, but I have the time to do the tedious archiving tasks and editing work if anyone needs some help. Alahmnat or maybe Amonre?

On the subject of information as a group the DZS has been trying to get stuff related to our field from the DRC for some time. I know the Cyan/DRC guys name all the plants and animals themselves but thus far they haven’t been very forthcoming with these details.
It’s very frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:39 am 

I know Andy Legate has been posting "Maintainers Report" on some of the new Ages on the DPWR, and MustardJeep has been spearheading an effort to start the Books of COmentaries, which are essentially a Maintainer's archive.

I've encouraged both of them to work with DocOlanA and Alahmnat to coordinate all of our efforts. Is it time for a formal meeting? Perhaps a section on the Assembly of Guilds devoted to the Guild of Archivists, so that we can all gather together and discuss this in one place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would love to have a meeting in the Cavern on all of this, to see where we want to go with this group and what sort of existing resources we want to take advantage of, both for discussion and for actually doing whatever work it is that we decide to undertake.

Now, excuse me while I go off on a tangent ;).

Something occurred to me today while I was reading the conversation in General Discussion on chat logging, and I'll probably be re-posting this in some form over in that thread as well. I realized that the Archivists and the Messengers would both be able to fill separate niches in the transcript recording field. The Messengers would be more likely to be responsible for fully-formatted and edited transcripts that would be more ideal for reading casually, as a way to catch up on an event that you missed. The Archivists, on the other hand, would be more likely to keep the actual raw log (prettied up to some degree to make it legible), and the two could be inter-linked on our individual websites. The way I see it, it should be the duty of the Archivists to record every minutiae of things like conversations and events in the Cavern, while the Messengers would ideally be more involved in making that raw information more accessible. Call it a filter if you like, but a filter whose initial contents are also freely accessible to the public, in order to eliminate any concerns about bias in reporting and whatnot by the Messengers.

Hooray for interoperation! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:40 pm 

Maybe the primary job of the Archivists should be to collect all of the material gathered and contributed by others -- individuals, groups and Guilds -- and organizing it, running it through a series of filters to strip out spoilers where inappropriate, correct spelling, etc., and identify speculation, then direct it to the proper archives within the whole. Of course the Archivists could gather material, too -- perhaps there is a sub-guild for just this purpose -- but the primary function of the Guild is to manage the Archives.

So the result (if you'll allow me a visual metaphor) would be a shelf of just chatlogs, with a cross-reference for searching by speaker, date, location, or broad subject. Next to that would be a shelf of historic documents -- translations, transcripts, etc. Then a shelf of modern analysis, interpretation and speculation (this might include the essays written by the early DRC researchers, from the Takotah rooftop). On another shelf would be the Maintainers books of Commentaries (IC) organized such that a reader to easily avoid being spoiled, if they so choose. Next to those are the general Age descriptions. Then the walkthroughs. And after that a section devoted to the fan-based content such as what DocOlanA has been pitching plus just general fan fiction. Perhaps another section for other media, such as screenshots, KI-pix, restored stained glass, etc, and audio files (music, podcasts, etc.). Then in the center of the room is one of those impractically huge books you see in the movies for the wiki.

The content can be contributed by anybody, but it would be up to the Archivists to make it presentable and available.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:51 pm 

Montgomery said:
Quote:
So the result (if you'll allow me a visual metaphor) would be a shelf of just chatlogs, with a cross-reference for searching by speaker, date, location, or broad subject. Next to that would be a shelf of historic documents -- translations, transcripts, etc. Then a shelf of modern analysis, interpretation and speculation (this might include the essays written by the early DRC researchers, from the Takotah rooftop). On another shelf would be the Maintainers books of Commentaries (IC) organized such that a reader to easily avoid being spoiled, if they so choose. Next to those are the general Age descriptions. Then the walkthroughs. And after that a section devoted to the fan-based content such as what DocOlanA has been pitching plus just general fan fiction. Perhaps another section for other media, such as screenshots, KI-pix, restored stained glass, etc, and audio files (music, podcasts, etc.). Then in the center of the room is one of those impractically huge books you see in the movies for the wiki.

And continuing your metaphor....

Why not have these shelves in the Guild of Archivists Pub in cavern.....just click on the book that you want to do research in and read in cavern in pub.....alongside other explorers ..... with whom you can have conversations .... speculate....learn.

I think this is a beautiful idea.....not just a metaphor!

If anyone else likes that idea, I will run over and submit a ticket!
(Sorry to get off topic for a second.) :?[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe the Archivists could ask the Writers to Write an Age solely for record-keeping, just like D'ni's Gadar. I'd still want to put things on a website, should the worst happen and Uru Live is cancelled again, but I'd love to have a one-stop shop in-game to read up on D'ni culture, the Kings, explorers' Books of Commentary, episode summaries, research papers, Prologue events, speech transcripts, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:10 pm 

Yeah, I thought exactly the same thing about setting up an Archivists Pub with each of the alcoves having bookshelves in them, just as you suggest. BUt I fear it would be a programming nightmare, particularly with all of the constant additions and updates.

So I amended my vision a little: I'd like to see a place in the cavern where your avatar can sit at a computer and browse the official Archives IC. So maybe the Archives is a computer lab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:09 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
I realized that the Archivists and the Messengers would both be able to fill separate niches in the transcript recording field. The Messengers would be more likely to be responsible for fully-formatted and edited transcripts that would be more ideal for reading casually, as a way to catch up on an event that you missed. The Archivists, on the other hand, would be more likely to keep the actual raw log (prettied up to some degree to make it legible), and the two could be inter-linked on our individual websites. The way I see it, it should be the duty of the Archivists to record every minutiae of things like conversations and events in the Cavern, while the Messengers would ideally be more involved in making that raw information more accessible. Call it a filter if you like, but a filter whose initial contents are also freely accessible to the public, in order to eliminate any concerns about bias in reporting and whatnot by the Messengers.

Hooray for interoperation! ;)

As a GoMe supporter I see no problem with your vision. If the GoAr wasn't there, I would not have been surprised if the GoMe would have put transcripts on the GoMe website. But the GoAr doing it reduces our workload which means more time to actually improve information distribution rather than information gathering and storing.

I see a lot of cooperation between these 2 guilds and i love it.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next