It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
tkwiggins wrote:
In a world where kicking baskets to make a bridge, coaxing fireflies who fear water, and being lifted twenty feet on a jet of steam are "realistic," climbing a rope that holds a tent isn't?

The tent climb was unrealistic to me, although I had a lot of fun doing it. The other stuff does make sense.

Not all the other stuff makes sense; I never "got" the steam vent puzzle without help because standing on a steam vent in the real world would have scalded your skin off and it never occurred to me to do it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:33 pm 
Cyan Employee

Okey dokey,

a) We love our fans. We do not hate our fans. However, I, personally, really get tired of the fact that if we disagree with you, we suddenly hate you, don't respect you, or don't know what we're doing (fixing the wrong bugs).

We love disagreement but can we disagree in a reasonable manner?

b) This "bug" is an easy fix for people who are not overloaded with the hundreds of others bugs you are talking about - not all bugs are fixed by the same people nor are all bugs the same amount of time to fix.

c) This "bug" was causing us to receive other bugs like no collison on the podium and falling through the tent and...

d) We have plans for this area. Plans that affect who can get beyond the ropes and who can't. We hope to limit that area to specific people and the rope climb prevents that. This isn't about just taking away fun but our future plans (sorry, I should have made that more clear).

e) It's great fun to find "easter eggs" and hidden things that we didn't intend. We agree. There will be more, some on accident and some purposeful. We'll hear about them, discuss them as a group (the postiives and negatives) and make a decision and probably take away some future ones. That doesn't mean we don't like our game to be fun or, again, don't like you.

f) I really hope that someday soon, URU is so dang fun that no one cares about a rope climb because there is so much other fun stuff to do. I realize we're not quite there yet so we'll try to add some more climbs somewhere in the game that don't afffect other stuff we're trying to do.

g) We love our fans. Thanks for your feedback! We really do appreciate all you do and we really do want to make a great game that you love. Your feedback is great. Let's just all try to disagree like nice, pleasant, people disagree and make this game as good as we can.

Peace,

ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great ryan, well put!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

rsjm wrote:
d) We have plans for this area. Plans that affect who can get beyond the ropes and who can't. We hope to limit that area to specific people and the rope climb prevents that. This isn't about just taking away fun but our future plans (sorry, I should have made that more clear).

I am sorry that you had to sort of spoil this (taking away some of the future surprise) to get your point across, but... thank you. :) Now we can replace our bickering with rampant, inaccurate speculation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

There once was an issue called rope
It got twisted and turned like a trope,
Explorers loved it,
Developers stuffed it,
This verse ends with mope or with cope.

People on both sides have feelings about the issue, moping on either side doesn't help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:39 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 pm 

I don't get why people are upset about the tent going away. The tent is fun in UU, (IMO) because after you complete the Journey and the GZ calibration, there isn't too much to do. But Uru Live is coming back, I want to explore new areas, not climb the silly tent. *Shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:27 pm 

Simply put, www2, the tent/rope is just a point of nostalgia.

Understandably some people are sad to see it go....but that doesnt mean we need to get our noses bent out of shape over it.

Perhaps we need a monument? :lol: "In loving memory of the rope. It never frayed." :lol:

:wink:

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:35 pm 

Maybe there should be an "Up On The Tent" going away party. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:44 pm 

I was thinking of using one of my Ahra Pahts shells in Memory of the Enteraining UU Bugs. I think, since we know the tent won't be in UL, I'm definately going to.

There. Does that make you guys happier? The tent climb will be forever remembered in Ahra Pahts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

ok, yes, we give you the rope...going, going, gone. Ropewalk? What ropewalk? See, forgotten already.

Just don't take way the Kadish struts. Please please leave us the struts (putting my bid in early! :) ) There is nothing better, in my opinion, than to hop down onto one of those slippery thangs and challenge someone to a good old strut racing competition - not for the faint-hearted and quite unforgiving to the careless, but one of my very very favourite things to do with a group of good friends, especially the winning bit. (N'yah n'yah to those of you I have beaten. You know who you are!")

signed
Nerfertiti, Queen of All Struts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:35 pm 

the first time I played URU, I climbed down from the Vault to the Door via the struts. Why would I climb all the way down the squiggly path when there's a nice, straight pipe to walk along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:48 am 

Climbing a string up to a tent where you fall through? Yeah. I'd say so.

We're all taking this far too seriously. There will be other bugs. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, we can diminish the value of any ingame feature, intended or otherwise ... anything anyone likes in any game anywhere can be framed to seem ridiculous or trivial. Games themselves are pretty trivial by definition.

In a static game, there were a few things that still proved challenging - challenging enough to keep us interested for several years, in fact, and that were transformed from bugs into features by our imaginative use of them. For example, some perfected the art of tent climbing/falling/escaping to such an art form that they won a D'Olympics medal for it in official competition. The rope issue has been discussed and its removal explained well and thouroughly, but the fact is that some other unintended features have become part of the beloved gaming environment, too. Perhaps, if we can collectively identify some of really fun ones early enough, and we can make a good case for how they contibute to the overall enjoyment of the game, we might keep them without inegatively impacting any ongoing development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:31 pm 

Actually, if, when you exit the passageway leading to the chasm where the Vault is located, and you go all the way to the right, and make a WALKING jump off the side toward the area with the journey door, you'll make it every time. Much easier, IMO.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next