It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
a different way because it wasn't the answers "I" wanted to hear,
Ah. I doubt you're alone in that, but sometimes we have to settle for the answers that are, rather than the answers we want.

It must be better in the long run to work to change what is rather than constantly bang your head against what isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:41 pm 

I did just that! :wink:

Now you all have to think about it because what I did or did not do was never the important part of any of this. :D I am expendable and have the ability to morph into something else....

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perspectives can play a part in all this, a lot like my comment a while ago about the Guild of Maintainers having issues getting going. It was, from my perspective true as I had not seen anything from them which indicated a rolling of the ball. The issue there was all the conversation was taking place on a forum I don't visit. The ball was rolling and fairly well as it turns out.

Because it isn't apparent that communication isn't doesn't mean it is so, some things take place on other forums, pm's emails and what not :)

I'm not sure myself if I will join a Guild, I make maps for the Cartographers (and am signed up as a member on their site) but I also chip in with stuff for the GoW and GoMessengers. Maybe that will change come the Archivists Guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:51 pm 

Sorry, long day. If what I write makes no sense, tell me and ignore it.
As a lot of people know by now, I have a hard time sitting still and just talking when I see things that need to be done. Call me impulsive, call me crazy, but I see a lot that needs done with the guilds. The Guild of Messengers to be specific since I know little to nothing about the other guilds.
I don't pretend to know everything or have the best ideas. I do the best with what I have and listen to those who know more and have better ideas.
I have been feeling a great urgency to get at least a half-way working guild ready by next episode. I feel we need to be able to show the DRC, Cate, Dr. Watson and Reteltee that we are indeed trying. That we are indeed able to work together. That we also want to see the guilds up and running. Even if everything about them isn't perfect. We are willing to make due with what we have until something better comes along or someone gets a better idea.
I understand that some of the guilds simply do not have the tools or authorization to work in the cavern yet. But that doesn't mean you can't come to some agreements about the important stuff about the guild. Figure out how you, as a guild, think it should work. Even if you can agree on that, agree on what the important issues are. Bring in a fresh perspective if your at a stand still.
All the guilds need to figure out what the main obsticals are that are keeping them from becoming functioning guilds. Figure them out and work on them. Don't get hung up on the little things. You can discuss them later. We all, well a lot of us, want to see these guilds become a reality. We need to take it one step at a time. The first step is to figure out what is stopping us to begin with.
Again, if this makes no sense just ignore it or tell me to keep quiet. I can't gaurantee I will, but you can always tell me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:00 pm 

Quote:
I am much older than most of you and saw this as an opportunity that as a youngerer person- I would have jumped at and my emotions have overtaken my common sense.

I just hit 41 2 weeks ago. I'm a grandfather to a bouncing 1 year old. My oldest child is 22.

Age tells me many things. My age has given me patients when dealing with things. And wisdom too. One of the things I've learned: Sometimes being older is better, than being younger. Take this story for exampe:

An Air Force crew was flying their huge C-130 transport across the Atlantic one fine day. Listening to the props drone, the co-pilot noticed another aircraft approaching fast. It was a F-14 Tomcat, a fighter plane, piloted by a young Navy lieutenant.
Coming over the Radio, the youngster said: "Hey guys! Watch this!"
He then threw his aircraft into a steep climb straight up, flipped over, and did a high G-Force barrel roll down towards the ocean surface. At the last moment he pulled up and rejoined the C-130.
"How about that?" he asked the C-130 crew.
The captain of the C-130 replied: "That was pretty good. But here, watch THIS!"
So the young pilot waited. And waited. And waited.
The C-130 just kept droning on and on in a straight and true flight path.
Annoyed the youngster radioed the captain of the C-130: "Watch what? I didn't see anything!"
The Captain replied back: "Oh sorry! You couldn't see. I got up, went to the bathroom. Got a hot cup of coffee and a doughnut and sat back down. Can you do that?"

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:03 pm 

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S.
Your US link is broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:06 pm 

Fixed! Thanks!

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:47 pm 

Glad to help out Andy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 am 

Quote:
My interest was in finding a way to explain to those interested and those not interested why any of this was important

That really truly is what this is all about?

I don't like the past tense "was", but geez we have already been trying to tackle this topic in a variety of ways over at the [GoMa] - Supporters. KI mail, meetings, cheap shameless plugs scattered across a multitude of MO:UL threads. We are trying a little bit of everything to see what works and what doesn't.

If you have ideas to explain the importance of past events in Uru spill them. This is a big topic people have been tossing around forever and a day, if you have some enthusiasm run with it. Don't hedge the issue, don't verbally circle it, just go straight forward and discuss it.

My personal favorite idea for past episodes/History are linking books in the library. I had my idea called "unrealistic" by the Cyanists, but the idea I and others had are instances where NPC's play out the content of each episode on auto pilot. A wicked cool idea but something that would take as many resources as a entire Age to produce.

I think I heard there is a chatlog database shaping up that will hold every single chatlog of any importance since the beginning of prologue. That's all the meetings leading into events, and all the event chatlogs since day one of Uru. Not a small task and as far as Fan Groups go it's going to be spotty since so many have dropped into the void, but all the Event meetings/Event chatlogs sound like they will be covered.

There is also the great tree re-enactments of prologue which are really well done.

If this is the sort of thing that interests you one word <Yes/No> and I will be happy to lend a hand as I am able. A lot of it is in out of way corners of the community but it is there.

P.S. @andylegate ROTFL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:04 pm 

Interested....

Library...yes

chatlog database...yes

great tree re-enactments of prologue...yes

Sorry. Wasn't sure which one you wanted to know about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am 

IMO The Guilds were just a stall tatic or filler it now seems.
Fact 1
Cyan Has not told us yet the Direction they are heading in with
the guilds and age creation, Watson said that it would not be a
over night type thing but something that would take 'Years'.
( I donno about you but I'm certainly not going to wait 'Years' for
something that might never even happen..)

Fact 2
Say We thought that Cyan was heading twards the 'Alcugs way'
of age creation and the guilds, so we are working on this for many
many months and then Cyan finaly announces that they are heading
twards the There.com way of age creation. Then everything we all
worked so hard on would be all for not!.
( I need a little more from Cyan before I start throwing myself into
this area other wise it is just a waste of time )

Fact 3
If age creation is going to played out a virtualy realistic as possiblre
that means we will all have to learn the D'ni language and Garhevotee
(spelling) the special language of writing, the 'art' , the 'skill' will have
to be learned. Then the guilds of books and ink makers will have to
search out the sacrid loast recipes of the Ink and the paper. etc etc.
The Facts that we MUST NOT fall into 'Greed' and 'lust' for 'power'
all the things that caused the great Fall, Then take our own curse
of 'Human Nature' and free will. We all Fall short and fail before we
can even strt, Think about it,.... realistacly we will suffer the same fate
as the D'ni did before us.

Fact 4
I'm still hanging from Deception! guess this superglue I used works
lol. other wise I would have surly lost my grip a long time ago!

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Personally (personal opinion only!) - I think it's all fine.

This is a volunteer thing - people don't do this for a living. There's also no direction coming from Cyan. So, by it's very nature, it's fragmented. It takes awhile for things to get set up, agreement (or should I say "agreements") to be reached, for people to figure out how much they can do, what they want to do, all that. People also have to negotiate the social relationships all groups have.

Here's my suggestion, for what it's worth. Telling people to hurry - not going to work. Trying to come up with one single agreement - not going to work. Telling people you want to lend your leadership or your project management skills - not going to work, and I mean this in the nicest way, and remember, it's only my humble opinion. Everyone thinks they have leadership skills.

I'll use a colloquialism here. I've heard people say "I don't do windows" (a cleaning term, not the Windows OS)! Generally this means that there is something they don't do because it's too detailed, too ordinary, or "not in their job description". The answer, at one of the places I worked was, "everyone here does windows". OK, pehaps, not the best analogy, but sometimes the way to get something rolling is to come up with something, not just the overall plan, but the details. You also can't assume that just because you worked hard on it, people are going to like it, though I think effort around here counts.

I think the other way to get involved is to figure out what is already being done, being talked about, and hook up with the people who seem to be well along the way to coming up with something, and also have some kind of community support.

It's an interesting challenge - because you have to negotiate the community - you have to figure out who has influence, get some influence yourself, all that.

I'm also going to guess at what Cyan is going to do, one day - and really, just guessing here. All we have to go on is the Guild of Greeters model. Cyan (and Ubisoft, when Ubi was the publsher) asked someone to lead the Guild of Greeters and they did it. I think there was a discussion with a couple of people (not sure) and the people involved worked out who should lead it. That person had Cyan's support and that person formed an organization - web site, in-game tee shirts, all that. It wasn't a single person's effort, not at all (it's a guild, a group of like minded people working together), but Cyan did pick someone to lead it. My guess, and remember, only a guess, is that Cyan will do that in the future. When Cyan gets serious about guilds, they will look around and pick someone to lead each guild, and also provide them with some tools.

I also don't understand why we just have to have one - guild of messengers - for example. For some guilds, it seems to me that you could have several groups, all working together, but each group doing something slightly different. That sort of scenario works well for me.

Finally - something I can't understand - any suggestion that we have to "prove ourselves to Cyan", or even to the "IC" people in the game. We have to prove ourselves to the game developers? I'm trying not to be too dramatic, but this really is an alien concept to me. If I was Cyan, I'd be looking at the community, in the best possible light, and I'd be happy to see what the community came up with - 1 idea, 10 ideas, agreement, disagreement, all that. I'd look around, see all the good stuff people have done, see where they are, and figure out what they (Cyan) could do to make it all work.

Last edited by mszv on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2