It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:06 pm 

...or almost over.

First of all the guilds were made.
Then Dr Watson told us that we had to use the guilds and 'make a home'
Now Yeesha is telling us too.

But how can we do that? What progress has been made on the guilds.
Do we have websites and forums for those guilds and are they pulling together or making a fragmented mess?

have any writing tools been made yet, has anyone asked Cyan if they approve of them? Can we actually DO anything?

Now that the episodes are over for awhile, i think people like myself will be looking for doing this task we have been given to fill the gap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:39 pm 

Some resources for you to check out in answer to your questions:

Guild of Writers are using Blender and Python.
Guild of Maintainers have a website (www.guildofmaintainers.org)
Guild of Messengers have a website (www.guildofmessengers.com)
Guild of Greeters have a website (www.guildofgreeters.com)
Guild of Cartographers are doing something, but I don't know what. (Sorry guys)

A nice centralized location to find links to things all over the place is www.guildsupportnetwork.com (thanks to Jenine for this one). She's listed links and webpages to everything for all the Guilds.

Check out www.uruguilds.org for the forums were lots of GoMa discussion is going on. Several of the guilds have forums on their websites already.

Additionally, the GoMe did a great job using their website during the episode. I know for a fact the GoMa and GoW are already working together. So we are definitely making progress. I know some guilds have also elected leaders, and the GoMa is in the process of such.

At this point, I think most of us are waiting for the last waves of the ep to die down before we make another move. It appears the ep didn't end quite as soon as we thought, what with the appearance of Sharper this morning. :D

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:42 pm 

cartograophers are map makers.
i think...
Momentai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 pm 

Calumon wrote:
cartograophers are map makers.
i think...
Momentai

They are, I'm just not sure what their current projects are right now. :)

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:47 pm 

The Guild of Cartographers have a home here:

Guild Of Cartographers

They keep a home there on Uru Obsession Forum

And it looks like they are just fine making maps. :D

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Also, I (and hopefully a few others) have taken it upon ourselves to inject the Guild of Archivists into the mix. Not much is official at this point, and I can't even say officially that http://www.dpwr.net is the official home of the Guild, but that's at least where I'm making my stand with things while trying to lead the charge for more history in and about the Cavern, so there's that to consider as well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Cartographers have a website here: www.urumaps.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:19 am 

The Writers have a website here: www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:17 am 

Update on the status of the Guild of Messengers Website

The GoMe website is growing in terms of content, GoMe organizations affiliations and more explorers heard and visited the website during episode week. The news system welcomes ANY explorer to post news on the website and it is really easy to do so. That also include non-drc news because I wish more people could post about explorers parties and events. Moreover, during the episode there was some great explorer created stories that weren't covered and the GoMe website would have been a perfect way to give visibility to that kind of news. The english news feeds are also translated in French and German in order to reflect the diversity of the cavern community.

If explorers wants to become involved in the GoMe, I think the majority of organizations are looking for new members. You can found some of them on the website and the remaining Messengers organizations can be found there.

If anyone would like to contribute to the website, please do ;) guildofmessengers [at] gmail [dot] com

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:16 am 

Ok, i checked these sites out...

www.guildofmaintainers.org
www.guildofmessengers.com
www.guildofgreeters.com
www.guildofwriters.com
www.urumaps.com

I was actually pretty impressed with the progress made so far :)
More than i thought! These website need to be added to there corresponding table in Kirel, on the piece of paper describing the guild. At least then more people can actually get involved and be given a definite place where this guild works. Maybe some feature tickets would persuade cyan to do that ;) *hint hint*

Maybe a computer console could be set up with the other explorer guilds details on it too some point in the future?

If the guilds want more support than just explorers wearing T-shirts, links such as this should be made between 'in game' and real life.

I was also really really impressed with some of the maps that the guild of Cartographers had produced. :shock: They should be made available in game!!! Or at least to fellow Cartographer supporters, which could make Uru pretty interesting when it comes to exploring with others

Has Cyan agreed on the guild of writers using bender and other programs to make ages? What will happen when a age has been finished and tested. Since cyan have the actual software to make 'Uru ages'. Can they actually implement 'bender made' maps into ages? Sorry, not very knowledgeable how this all works :oops:

I may even ticket this whole thread to Cyan to see what they think of it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:52 am 

Hehe, Cyan's probably heard all they ever want to hear about Blender for a lifetime!! :P

And not that my knowledge of User made Ages is much greater than yours (I've only briefly tinkered with Blender) but I think its possible to explore the Ages in some way OUTSIDE uru and MOUL, but not in the game atm, because Cyan has, to my knowledge, released nothing in the way of official tools or similar that would allow that to happen. And I doubt Cyan would allow any fan made age to go public without thorough testing (Maintainers, anyone? :P)

But yeah, I assume next season is when we'll start seeing some of the out of game Guild stuff start to be encorporated IC, ie maps, news feeds, Ages, etc. But there's been no real timeline given outside of months>years.

So, in short, no one knows when anything will happen!! W00T!!:D

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:56 pm 

Narym wrote:
I think it's possible to explore the Ages in some way OUTSIDE uru and MOUL, but not in the game atm, because Cyan has, to my knowledge, released nothing in the way of official tools or similar that would allow that to happen. And I doubt Cyan would allow any fan made age to go public without thorough testing (Maintainers, anyone? :P)

Yes, it IS possible to explore user-made Ages on the Uru Library Manager. A section on the Guild of Maintainers supporters website explains how to do this. You will need a copy of Uru: Complete Chronicles.

By the way, this works fine in Apple Bootcamp WinXP, so Mac users can join in as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:42 pm 

When we can actually make 'ages' and not 'blender maps', I think it would be possible for ages to be stored and downloaded off a website or database. Then anyone who has downloaded that age will be able to access it in game.
If someone wants to share the age with someone, the 2nd explorer would have to either download it himself or it will be downloaded from the 1st explorer. This is how games such as unreal tournament seem to share their hundreds of maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ages are not blender maps as such.

Cyan uses 3d studio max for their Age building, fans use Blender. These ages are fully working and can be added (currently) to Uru Ages Beyond Myst and Uru Complete Chronicles.

What you describe is how the ULM works. Ages are added to a central database the ULM downloads them and patches them into the game for people to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:34 pm 

On the guild of writers web site,there is a line that says:
With user-friendly tools, tutorials, and a great community willing to offer help, creating Ages is easy, and fun.
Do these tools actually exist or in development by anyone. I had a look into Blender, and it is really not user friendly at all....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next