It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:09 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Mowog wrote:
The only downer is that in spite of the millions of pellet points being accumulated, we're seeing no difference in the lake.

Have hope in that there are also cooperative efforts in the works to help Cyan (and the DRC) "see the light" and restore our faith and efforts in the lake project.

Yes, the Pellet Challenge is a blast! We have the German community and Tai'lahr to thank for all their inspirational work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Mowog wrote:
The only downer is that in spite of the millions of pellet points being accumulated, we're seeing no difference in the lake.

Really? You don't see it?
JW thinks I have a detached retina or something, but I can see more light in the cavern, now.
I know others will say it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I don't care.
I need to believe it's real, so it is. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Mowog wrote:

Really? You don't see it?
JW thinks I have a detached retina or something, but I can see more light in the cavern, now.
I know others will say it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I don't care.
I need to believe it's real, so it is. :wink:

This brings up another excellent gripe about something that hasn't happened yet: if the lake gets a step lighter and no one is sure that it has, they'd best not wait a few weeks and then say "the lake is lighter, and you didn't even notice." That would just be mean.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Excellent point... worse than mean, really; it would be a massive gameplay failure.

Lighting levels are tremendously subjective *anyway*. My PC has a cranky old CRT monitor, and I have to goose Uru's gamma way up to make it playable. Even then, the game (all Ages!) seem distinctly darker if I play during (real-world!) daylight hours. And then I switch to my Mac laptop, where Uru looks rather pale and washed-out.

There's no way I will be able to spot a gradual lighting change in the City.

This is why the lake meter seemed like a good idea. It makes small changes visible to everybody (or rather, it would if it had ever worked!)

Cyan could also come up with other ways to make progress visible. Maybe little ripples or pulses of luminescence in the water. Then we would spend months counting "ripples per second" to see if they were increasing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
Cyan could also come up with other ways to make progress visible. Maybe little ripples or pulses of luminescence in the water. Then we would spend months counting "ripples per second" to see if they were increasing...

Great idea!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

And, now, back on topic... :wink:

Mowog wrote:
You know, this is really cool! It embodies the spirit of cooperation that we hoped would characterize MOUL, and it just shows what we can do when we work together.

Yes, and in that spirit, the Revelations Hood is gearing up to take this out of the hood and offer our services to other hoods or groups. (Truth is, we enjoyed it so much, we want to keep doing it, but don't think it would be much fun just trying to beat our own score. :lol: ) We're offering the "how to" and up to 15 Er'canas for any group or individual who wants to take the challenge.

The first one will be semi "in-house" so we can work out any kinks in the system, and that will be for the REBEL Hood which already has three of our members' alt avies. All REBEL Hood members, and anyone else who supports the REBEL Hood will be welcome to participate. 8) The run won't take place until after the episode is over, so there's plenty of time to sign up. Catch me in the cavern or send me a PM here.

Thanks again to Marck, Mucol, and the German community for this most excellent idea! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

The REBEL Hood is taking the challenge this Friday, November 23rd (day after Thanksgiving) - with assistance from the Revelations Hood. (Double coolness 8) 8) ) Anyone with a solved Er'cana is welcome to participate. Just sign up here, in the REBEL Hood News thread, or catch me in the cavern.

[spoiler=How it works]Background
The Pellet Challenge was issued by Marck and the German Community after they teamed up to allow one explorer to collect 73,044 points within one hour. They used 15 Er’cana instances and dropped a total of 75 pellets. Part of the challenge is for a team to work out a procedure which allows an explorer to collect and drop pellets at this or a better rate. The Revelations Hood took the challenge and, on the third attempt, were able to hit 16 Er’canas and drop 79 pellets to collect 77,750 points. Now, the Revelations Hood is offering to assist other hoods or groups with their Pellet Challenge run. We’ll provide the know-how and up to 15 Er’canas; the hood or group provides the runner and as many providers as possible.

Definitions
Runner – the Explorer/Avatar that goes to the Er’canas, drops the pellets, and collects the points. The runner takes a screenshot of the open KI at the beginning and end of the hour to post for verification that the points were all collected during that one hour.
Shadow – the Explorer who follows the Runner every step of the way and is prepared to step in if one of the other participants crashes or falls too far behind.
Providers – the Explorers who provide their Er’canas for the pellet drops.

Preparations
Need: at least 16 avatars with solved Er’canas.
The designated runner creates an avatar with that group or hood’s name – and preps that avatar’s Er’cana.
Designate date, time, place (best time to run: 22:00 to 23:00).
Provide all participating avatars’ numbers to coordinator.
Everyone should add the runner avatar’s KI # to their Buddy List.
Send invites to all participants (in case hood falls off Nexus or it is set to Private).
Designate someone to be the Shadow (slowest linker is best).

Individual Avatar Preparations
Set ovens on 30-30-30 for maximum points.
Set Er’cana book to open at the cloth by dispenser and make sure it’s unlocked.
Open the pellet dispenser (it will stay open indefinitely as long as the ovens aren’t on.)
Add the runner avatar’s KI # to their Buddy List.

The Run
21:30 – Meet in designated Neighborhood. [optional: runner starts a chatlog]
Runner takes Shadow and first Provider to his Er’cana.
Shadow and Provider go ahead to CitySilo and wait.
Provider stands to the left of the device, facing the Runner (90 degree angle).
22:00 – Runner takes a screenshot of the open KI showing 0 pellet points.
Runner drops pellets, and then the Provider links both Runner & Shadow to their Relto.
Provider returns to hood and offers Relto to next Provider. (If you have more than one avatar participating, log out now and return with the next one and get in line.)
That Provider goes to Er’cana City Silo and waits to link Runner & Shadow to their Relto.
(rinse & repeat) :wink:
23:00 – Runner takes a screenshot of the open KI showing total pellet points.
Take KI shot of hood members in front of the pellet score imager
Post results with screenshots to The Pellet Challenge thread in MOUL forums.
[/spoiler]

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is mildly amusing to note that what is the most entertaining aspect of dropping pellets (the Pellet Challenge) has also been effectively contraindicated (in-character) by Victor Laxman:
Quote:
(11/04 18:48:01) Victor Laxman: I should be clear again that even the current contributions are fine as they are. If the spikes were jumping exponentially, we might have a problem, but even the largest spikes now are within reasonable limits.
(11/04 18:49:35) Victor Laxman: Frankly, I'm not interested in trying to get larger numbers to participate artificially. If they aren't interested in contributing for the sake of contributing, then it's only more likely to encourage even larger spikes as they gain and lose interest.

- from a conversation between JWPlatt and Victor Laxman, reproduced here in the UO forum.

Carry on . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, since the pellets used in The Pellet Challenge would be dropped by their actual owners anyway, all we're really doing is shifting the points from one person to another. :)
And, I firmly believe that the DRC developed the point system for competetive purposes in order to maintain our interest in pellet dropping. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

The R.E.B.E.L. Hood ran the Pellet Challenge last night, and managed to hit 14 Er'canas for a total collection of 61,364 points! Nowhere near the record, but a respectable number for a first effort. We had one provider crash, but recovered pretty quickly, and all the participants gave their very best effort. I expect we'll do much better next week (same time, same place, etc.).

Here's a KI shot of most of the team.
[spoiler=REBEL Hood Pellet Challenge Team]Image[/spoiler]Left to right is JWPlatt, Rene', Rusty0918, DThurner as the Rebel Hood, Squalls, and Wyn. Not pictured is DaytonaKit who managed the spectators. New REBEL Hood member, IanW took a KI shot that included her, so maybe (crossfingers), he'll post it here for us. :)

A couple of notes:
1) Currently, there have been a few bugs that can make participants hesitate, and cumulatively lose valuable time, so it's a good idea to make sure everyone is aware of them ahead of time: the Relto bookshelf appears empty, but the books appear when it's clicked on; the latches appear down even when they're unlocked, but the book will still slide out when clicked on; and the person waiting for the Runner in the City Silo doesn't see the pellets drop into the water.

2) We kept the hood unlocked and received several visitors during the run. While we're happy to have spectators, the chat did become excessive at times, making it difficult for the team to communicate. Also, the extra bodies may have contributed to lag, so these are things to take into consideration when deciding whether to make the hood public or private during the run.

Post subject: Tons-O-Fun
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:18 pm 

And, yet again I was able to participate in one of the most exciting parts of the URU Community,

It is Tons-O-Fun to all team up towards one goal, to light the lake, and have fun doing it!

I really enjoyed it, and again thank you Tai' for coordinating this event!

I am looking forward to our next run!

dthurner1
aka REBEL HOOD

My [email protected] stats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

The REBEL Hood is the new Pellet Challenge Champion!
dthurner1 as the REBEL Hood avatar, visited 17 Er'canas to drop 85 pellets and collect a total of 82,603 points!
Team members included myself (8 avies), Squalls (5 avies), JWPlatt (3 avies), and Wyn.

[spoiler=Screenshot at Start]Image[/spoiler][spoiler=Screenshot at Finish]Image[/spoiler]
This was the greatest surprise I've had since I started participating in these runs! We attribute our success to teamwork, experience, and the fact that dthurner1 was using his "big system" for the run! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:42 pm 

Yes, our Team did it again!

We Had Tons-O-Fun and set a new record!

I was very proud to participate in the Pellet Challenge for the REBEL Hood!

Thank you to all who came and gave all they could!

And, Thank you to Tai' and the Revelations Hood members for coordinating and joining in to help another Hood!

dthurner1
AKA REBEL Hood!

My [email protected] stats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

This is absolutely stunning: 85 Pellets and way more than 80,000 points! Congratulations to this awesome achievement!

I think everybody will have a hard time to beat that score. At least, I believe that it won't be possible to set a new record without a lot of practicing and experience. Nevertheless, I will try to get a team together again to take the challenge. ;) Maybe we all have to join our resources to be able to reach the mark set by REBEL's Bevin. I am looking forward to this.

Congratulations to the REBELs' team again for this outstanding performance. Dthurner1, you must own one monster of a gaming computer. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:24 am 
Obduction Backer

After a long pause and after encountering some issues with previous attempts, we finally managed to do another pellet run. We were glad to have gotten together once more a team of motivated members and intended to just have some fun with this run, but it turned out that we outdid ourselves this time:
Tachzusamm dropped 93 pellets in 19 Er'canas and collected 85,406 points in one hour!

[spoiler=Before...]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler=...and after the run]Image[/spoiler]
This was our team: Brigitte, Cojaar, D'n Alor, Hordath, Mara32, Mathias, Mucol, Nefret, Tachzusamm, Vindetta, and myself.

This run was not perfect; thus, we believe that there is still room for improvement. I would never have expected this, but it seems possible to reach 90,000 points. I am looking forward to what will come next. ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next