It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you want the option to be a bad/good guy in URU
Yes 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No 43%  43%  [ 32 ]
BRING ME THE BLUE PAGES! 37%  37%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:47 am 
Obduction Backer

I wouldn't want to bulldoze the actor. I wouldn't even want to bulldoze the real character. That is not what they are there for. read my little Link Vacuum Trap Age idea. Tell me what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:02 am 

Graizur wrote:
I wouldn't want to bulldoze the actor. I wouldn't even want to bulldoze the real character. That is not what they are there for. read my little Link Vacuum Trap Age idea. Tell me what you think.

I am not interested in playing any game of that sort which could reset or change one of my existing solved ages. I invited someone to my Kadish once to play hide and seek and all they did was run thru my age and reset all my puzzles. I was soo angry. It only took me minutes to reset them where I liked them but I was still annoyed and reported them. (this was long ago in 2003)

I guess I was wrong. I thoguht the point was the explorers have the ability to change the story. Not just be spectators. In that case all your Link Vacuum Trap Age idea is.... another puzzle age. A good idea for a multi-player puzzle age but that's it. Not really much of a villian there. I certainly wouldn't want it affecting my other ages.

Since your point is not about moving the story, which currently can only be done by chatting, but just age ideas, I will move onto another topic. My mistake sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:05 am 

This thread has been one of the more interesting recently. Thanks for starting it, Graizur, and thanks for answering the questions, both those put and those that weren't formed yet.

And to everyone else for their examples and other input/feedback.

I think there may be room within MOUL for individuals or groups that work against something, but the current setup makes it hard to say who the villian would be. We still don't know enough about the motivations of all the people historically associated with the DRC. Watson and phend are still wild cards, Michael has that issue of Willow. Has Cate really left for good? What's the status of Sharper, Nick and even the rest of the ResEng (in their IC roles)?
Do we know enough about the story of Yeesha, Escher and the Bahro to say which side is which (g.v.e.). A villain in this story is harder to pick out. Cate could have been a villain (money first), but she pushed the DRC to release (good for us). Sharper is a participant in this war, by his actions, but is that good or bad? Nick's dating habits?

We all start the same place, the same way. And progress in game mechanics is, right now gained by everyone more or less the same way, it's what you choose to do, or not to do. So, all that is really left is to setup one's self a niche with a story and work to make sure that it parallels the main enough to allow for engagement. So what can we do about it?

Some of what Sudre is suggesting with people threading the chats with splats is already happening, and sometimes spreads to other characters, which introduces a risk to the delivery should too many "organized groups" do their thing. The protest over the drc forums may be an example that has to be remembered.
And the "games' being suggested, how do we relate them to the mainline story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Well with my whole LV trap idea would need a really really good Reward Alpha in order to encourage people to risk having their ages reset. It's not that big of a deal to have solve an Age once you know how to solve it. And the fun of either being helped with getting Reward Alpha or having a trap dropped in your age would be exciting. It could work. But the slap enemy on head with relto book would be cool. Manual boot from age. :-) I want to see one avatar chasing after another with their relto linking book high in the air, welded club like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:57 am 
Obduction Backer

I think Graisur's ideas are interesting. The thing to note is that this kind of thing is generally consentual, so it's not a surprise. If you know that someone can do a trap book thing or boot you out of an age, and you agree to that style of gameplay - it works out great - it's not an example of people being mean.

I think of it more as a mini "PvP" thing, though pretty mild, which is why I like it. And for it work, it has to be something that both players agree to. Thinking here - you can let players in your age and give them certain rights. With more "rights", more "access", there could be more rewards, but also a possibility that, for example, your age could be reset

It's all about consentual gameplay, not people being mean to each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:08 am 
Obduction Backer

You would only be able to boot people out of your own age. The thing is that it wouldn't really be permission based because that takes away from the surprise. I don't really see this as possible in a game where players are allowed to interact but not inflict. In order to have the ability to do good one must also have the ability to do bad.

Which brings me to my first post.

I WANT TO BE A BAD GUY!
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Even in your scenario - I think it has to be permission based, in the sense that people have to know what they are getting themselves into. They have to know, before they come into your age, that you can boot them out your age, something like that. The players have to know the rules of the game. Otherwise it's not fair.

That's how I look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Ok I figured it out. Mysteriously, pedestals with switchs on them appear on many ages. An email goes out to every ones KI. These switches, the email explains, is part of a puzzle for Alpha Reward. However, some people have discovered LVs. The LVs do what they do (explained in the email that goes out, rules stated on page 2 of this thread). The LVs can only br dropped in if the switch is turned on. Once the LV is dropped turning off the switch wont turn off the LV. If dropped in a pit or behind a one way door the age is now a prison age. In order to combat those who would use the LVs the DRC has upgraded linking books so that you can wack people upside the head.

There you have it. The A.R. and the LVs are tied. By going for one you put yourself at risk for the other. Consensual risk.

!!!!!!!!!!!-Awesome-!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Graizur wrote:
It's not that big of a deal to have solve an Age once you know how to solve it.

Any person who forces me to solve Ahnonay or Kemo/Gira again will die a slow, painful and debilitating death. Since it's not a big deal. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:30 pm 

How about....

There could be another in-game faction leader -- An anti-Yeesha, whether it be Gehn (with farfetched backstory as to why he is here) or Escher, Kadish, Mad Scientist Blah, etc. You could have a choice of following this person or not. If you chose to follow this person, you would be led on an "anti-journey" that would eventually reward you with an "Anti-Relto" book. This would replace your Relto book, and would be your private home filled with traps & puzzles. You would have your own library that had a different set of books. If you wanted friends to explore ages, you could lead them to your library. If you wanted to be evil, you could leave them in an anteroom that would have puzzles that would have to be solved in order to escape. Linking would be disabled. You would get the black swirl.

There could be link-in points for the owner, so he could taunt you. There would also be some pre-determined solutions, so that you couldn't create unsolvable puzzles. There could be customization in the puzzles, so the owner could get to know his puzzles in order to change their configuration & yield different results. There would be multiple puzzles, so one would never know which puzzle he/she was getting once he/she opened the first door. Perhaps, there could also be a certain puzzle that would lead to a clue from Yeesha (unbeknownst to the AR owner). This would whisk our victim back to his world. If they wanted to make things interesting, they could fix it, so that you were always linked to this age, until you solved it & escaped. Bahro could prevent you from falling off cliffs. They could be either good or bad. Good bahro could provide an early escape. If Cyan wanted the anti-relto to be a true trap, they could be bad bahro that only linked you back to the main puzzle anteroom. The easiest puzzle could reward the victim with his/her very own Anti-Relto.

To counter this, I guess "Good Characters" could carry a linking book that led to "Yet another Yeesha Journey" This could be dropped in various places to trick people into using it. Perhaps it could also be swapped for a book that the evil host uses a lot. The only obvious escape from that book would be taking a Relto book -- thereby making the linker non-evil again. Once again the YAYJ book would also have a puzzle that would safely provide more clues to the "dark path" & return the evil host back to his anti-relto.

Just a Thought

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:01 pm 

Jus' as long as yer not talkin' about setting the "villian/good guy" flag in Avatar Customization, I don't think it's such a bad idea.

Although, what interests a good deal about Uru is that it's always seemed to me that Cyan has a clever grasp of human nature, and at times I think that Cyan knows that there will be people that will "fall prey" to the old greed and pride of D'ni.

It'll be interesting to see what Cyan does along these lines.

~Joey Punderblutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:18 pm 

Doug, That's what I had hope "HE" would be. I was hoping that a new character was going to enter the scene providing an.... alternative path for those that would follow. Even without the extra's, like special puzzles, it would have been nice. Maybe it is in the works for season 2. Maybe there is a new age coming that has a different path besides Yeeshas and we will actually have to choose. Of coarse it will have to have a redemption piece in it incase someone chose poorly and didn't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:21 pm 

Sudre wrote:
Doug, That's what I had hope "HE" would be. I was hoping that a new character was going to enter the scene providing an.... alternative path for those that would follow. Even without the extra's, like special puzzles, it would have been nice. Maybe it is in the works for season 2. Maybe there is a new age coming that has a different path besides Yeeshas and we will actually have to choose. Of coarse it will have to have a redemption piece in it incase someone chose poorly and didn't know.

Many of us were skeptical when Watson said he was probably HE... And he did say that during Deceptions. Perhaps HE has not yet come. Yeesha's tone in her speech when she says "he will come" sounds a bit darker than just Dr. Watson. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:54 am 
Obduction Backer

What I am surprised by are the 20 or so people who don't want to be good, don't want to be bad and ESPECIALLY do not want a choice. I would like to know what's on their minds. Why would any one want to not have a choice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Just because someone picks the "gold" option on a poll it doesn't mean they don't have an opinion. Also, "bring me the blue pages" seems very villain-y to me. ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next