It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Would you be willing to volunteer your services to keep this game going and make it the game you always wanted to play? Feel free to elaborate by responding to this post.
Yes 81%  81%  [ 145 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 179
 Post subject: Can this game be saved?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:06 pm 

I have been onboard since the beta for this game. Back then I pointed out all the flaws in the game, mainly that there is really nothing to keep people logging in on a regular basis. Lots of people were quick to defend the game. Now I see many other people expressing the same concerns almost a year later.

The game feels like a love affair gone bad; noone wants to admit it's over, but they don't know what to do to fix the situation.

I have a few suggestions that may be possible to help. I purchased an entire year of Gametap in order to play this game, so I'm in for that long at least.

I come from a LARPing background (Live-Action Role-Playing) and so my suggestions will be based around my knowledga of LARPing, since this is essentially an online LARP.

In a LARP, there is an ongoing story (over arching plotline) this runs constantly and people can cause it to evolve and change through their actions and words. This is a storyline that is meant to run for years with an attainable goal that must be acheived through the actions of may people. IE The heinous liche Sackalid can only be destroyed by a vorpal weapon that must be powered by the souls of the most intelligent poeple. The person who can forge such blade must be found as well as the people to power it and the mage to bind part of their life force within it. Therefore many journeys must be taken, many battle fought and all the while the liche is trying to stop you.

A great idea, but not everyone has the time and money to get so deeply involved so there are many levels of involvement from plots that span several months to ones that last only a few hours or even less.

LARPs are also volunteer based. Plot people, staff and NPCs come mostly from the palyer base and work for free to entertain the players. They are given certain priveledges, but they work for the love of the game and the love of their fellow players.

Also, there is a huge element of player written plot. This is carefully screened to ensure continuity.

My suggestion is that players could volunteer their time and skills to keep the game running. Programmers, artists, writers could all donate their time and give the game a hand up. Their skills would be enormously helpful especially because they come with the perspective of people who have actually palyed the game for their own reasons. It need not be a permanant gig. It could be considered an internship for a specific amount of time with the option of being pay IF there is an opening or simply leaving if there is not. The reward would be adding your work on MOUL to your resume and maybe other things to be worked out.

This game has the potential to be great. the original games were genius, engaging, gorgeous. We all fell in love with the vision and thus we are here now. Many of us hung on this long because we have yet to see that vision realised. Perhaps we must be the ones to make it happen.

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:23 pm 

I am amazed that so many ppl seem to think the game is doomed. There's been a rash of topics about how the game is not going to make it. Is it because of the end of season 1 or are ppl getting information from GameTAP that the rest of us are just not allowed to know?
I think at a minimum the game will continue on with at least what we got in season 1. If Cyan had a good showing of ppl playing then they will get more money and things will improve. Other than that it's been a great season considering that it's just one of hundreds of games on the GameTAP menu. It may not be what the die hard Myst fans (like myself) want but for the thousands that play the other GameTap selections it's probably just fine. They can play the new content every now and then just like with Sam and Max.
I know the international players are disappointed but MOUL and GT were not expecting money from them so it's just a bonus to them anyway. That sounds kinda cold to say but I think it's close to reality. I would imagine that the money the internationals put in for MOUL only goes to MOUL so maybe that will be a big bonus to Cyan.
Besides once the player content part get into the game, I think that would qualify as donating time to the game. That will give ppl more to do and it's something that the players are creating. Cyan just has to over see the final product submitted which I am sure takes less effort then the complete creation.
I also think that there are ppl volunteering their time to test this game, hence the sign up page for it. I'd count that as volunteering.

So it's not like I think your question is a bad one..... it's just the title makes it sound like the "Fat Lady" is singing.
(sorry hope that doesn't offend anyone)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:38 pm 

Nice idea, but it needs more organization than the way the Guilds are performing at the moment. Everybody is trying to create an elite these days, rather than working together towards to common goal. Some Guilds don't even allow newcomers to join them, to me (admittedly an outsider), that feels rather cliquey.

To come back to your title question (can this game be saved?): I never heard it was going to be canceled, other than by some of the doom and gloom backseat managers that frequent this forum... Absolutely no one official has suggested anything of the sort, in fact there have been a lot of suggestions of improvement which I find acceptable to both parties... So I fail to see what this question has to do with the contents of your well written topic :) And I do like your poll!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

silmefea wrote:
My suggestion is that players could volunteer their time and skills to keep the game running. Programmers, artists, writers could all donate their time and give the game a hand up. Their skills would be enormously helpful especially because they come with the perspective of people who have actually palyed the game for their own reasons. It need not be a permanant gig. It could be considered an internship for a specific amount of time with the option of being pay IF there is an opening or simply leaving if there is not. The reward would be adding your work on MOUL to your resume and maybe other things to be worked out.

How would we even go about doing that? Walk up to Cyan's offices and say "Im here to help you out!". I really don't think they could do that even if they were willing to...

As of now the only thing you can do is create your own story, but this itself has limitations as it can not be apart of any of Cyans story. (Conflicts and such arise).

Also, if you are willing to wait, tools are (hopefully) in the making to allow players to create ages and [more]. This is the planned route Cyan is taking...not taking in everyone off the street and throwing them in hoping for a good outcome.

Post subject: Can this game be saved?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:21 pm 

Much of the pessimism for this game stems from the uncertainty as to the start of Season 2. Of course there are aspects which will not please everyone. I am sure Season 1 was a great learning experience for Cyan and I believe this will be reflected in the coming year. The one major fault from my perspective is the nature of the episodic content. The in between gap kills the "real time" feeling required to give the story a dynamic quality. Its not a new idea, but if some of the characters could periodically appear in the Cavern, even for mundane gossip e.g. "I heard Sharper got a Super Bowl ticket so he went to the surface to see the game". At the very least small advances in the story could occur and there would be a feeling of continuity which is currently lacking. More important content could happen at longer "episode" intervals. I think this would go a long way in helping to stem the increasing negativity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:45 pm 

Quote:
I come from a LARPing background (Live-Action Role-Playing) and so my suggestions will be based around my knowledga of LARPing, since this is essentially an online LARP.

In a LARP, there is an ongoing story (over arching plotline) this runs constantly and people can cause it to evolve and change through their actions and words. This is a storyline that is meant to run for years with an attainable goal that must be acheived through the actions of may people. IE The heinous liche Sackalid can only be destroyed by a vorpal weapon that must be powered by the souls of the most intelligent poeple. The person who can forge such blade must be found as well as the people to power it and the mage to bind part of their life force within it. Therefore many journeys must be taken, many battle fought and all the while the liche is trying to stop you.

A great idea, but not everyone has the time and money to get so deeply involved so there are many levels of involvement from plots that span several months to ones that last only a few hours or even less.

LARPs are also volunteer based. Plot people, staff and NPCs come mostly from the palyer base and work for free to entertain the players. They are given certain priveledges, but they work for the love of the game and the love of their fellow players.

Also, there is a huge element of player written plot. This is carefully screened to ensure continuity.

This game has the potential to be great. the original games were genius, engaging, gorgeous. We all fell in love with the vision and thus we are here now. Many of us hung on this long because we have yet to see that vision realised. Perhaps we must be the ones to make it happen.

YES! YES! YES! Hopfuly that is what Cyan is working on right now is a way for us to do just this!

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:05 pm 

Yeah, the title should have said something like, "Why Don't You Offer to Help the Game Instead of Saying How the Game Will Fail", but that was a bit verbose and the title I used was far more dramatic. Besides, a great many people do seem to believe the game is already dead. Cyan seems to have learned very little from the first incarnation or other successful MMOs.

Quote:
How would we even go about doing that? Walk up to Cyan's offices and say "Im here to help you out!". I really don't think they could do that even if they were willing to...

Well, many computer programmers work from home. People would just write code at home then email it to Cyan. Art and writing could be done the same way. I am not suggesting anything that cannot be readily accomplished.

The post is really here to make people think and offer a hopeful suggestion.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:45 pm 

silmefea wrote:
Well, many computer programmers work from home. People would just write code at home then email it to Cyan. Art and writing could be done the same way. I am not suggesting anything that cannot be readily accomplished.

That has been suggested many many times, and even directly offered to Cyan; every time Cyan has not accepted the offer. However, it does look like they might be trying to do something along those lines with the Guilds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:59 pm 

silmefea wrote:
Quote:

I know people who have been doing this since 2004. Cyan has ignored almost all of the emails so far.

The only piece of fan-written code that I can remember them ever accepting was the UU Museum door patch written by ycikamookow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:12 am 

Paradox wrote:
silmefea wrote:
Quote:

I know people who have been doing this since 2004. Cyan has ignored almost all of the emails so far.

The only piece of fan-written code that I can remember them ever accepting was the UU Museum door patch written by ycikamookow.

I think they accepted some of D'Lanor's fixes too, didn't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:18 am 

I can't remember if D'Lanor's fixes were code, or content like the shirt designs and the soccer balls. :?

I do know that they accepted works from D'Lanor and BAD late in the UU phase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:25 am 

i am here for the long haul myself. i missed MOUL the first time around in 2003/04 by about a week. yes the game had its issues but most of the bugs seemed to be gone or better than in january when open beta started. I'm sure MOUL will continue and there will be a second season. This game has brought Gametap a MMRPG and international players for when they have and will add international compatibilty. plus Cyan is getting funding now from another source for another game they are helping develop: http://www.cyanworlds.com/news/?p=10. I'm sure at least some of that funding will find its way to MOUL in one form or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
I can't remember if D'Lanor's fixes were code, or content like the shirt designs and the soccer balls. :?

I do know that they accepted works from D'Lanor and BAD late in the UU phase.

The fixes were Python code. All in all there were 4 Until Uru updates during the D'mala days which largely consisted of fan contributions.

The release notes that Cyan posted at the time are now lost in the wipe at the D'ni Guild forums, but if you could still get a hold of those you would see that besides mookow, BAD and me there were many more contributors who deserve equal credit. To name a few off the top of my head: A'lan, cjkelly, a'moaca', Ashtar, Indy, Zrax, Hoikas, MercAngel.

Another example of a fan contribution project was the implementation of the missing French and German translations for the classroom book provided by zam, ireenquench and Marck.

However, most of these UU fan contributions did not make it to MOUL, although some did (like the /me and /autoshout commands :) ).

I hope that through the guilds fan contributions will once again become a reality and that this time the whole community will be able to take part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:29 am 
Obduction Backer

The thing about Fan Programmers helping now is that UU was, for all purposes, hacked to find out how it worked and then the fans fixed things....problem now is to do this Cyan would have to open source there code and yeah...I really don't see that happening. (Sure it could be hacked again..but who would really hack it then send it to Cyan saying they fixed so and so bug).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:53 am 

Neereus wrote:
The thing about Fan Programmers helping now is that UU was, for all purposes, hacked to find out how it worked and then the fans fixed things....problem now is to do this Cyan would have to open source there code and yeah...I really don't see that happening. (Sure it could be hacked again..but who would really hack it then send it to Cyan saying they fixed so and so bug).

Maybe, but people have hacked into updates to find out the new content before it gets activated then posted those things here. Not exactly the same, but still.

-Silmefea