It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:03 am 

The following flowed forth during a recent conversation while discussing mmorpg strategies:
Why not make age building a skill that can be learned, where a small group works together detailing an age, that would ultimately be built by the pros behind the scenes, but it would be as if the players had, in fact, created it in-game, in "traditional" D'ni fashion.

Frankly, I think "player created" Ages would really be a nice niche for Uru. I pay no heed to, but am aware of nonetheless, rumors/conversations about external tools and such, but I think an interesting solution would be to make it a part of the game.

Forgive the analogy, but imagine creating a totally unique item in WoW, to your exact specifications, and having it profesionally modelled, textured, coded and inserted into the game. Now imagine a small group, 3-4 players, under the tutelage of an npc or something, detailing an age through various tasks, and ultimately having the Age created by professionals behind the scenes.

There would certainly be an interpretation curve, between player-submitted material and actual Age, but this only plays into the "art's" strengths; discovery and refinement. The Age not exactly what you expected? Surprises? Letdowns? Try creating another and seeing if you can't lessen the curve by refining the "art". Either way, in the end, the Age would be, for all intents and purposes, safe and compatible as opposed to the potential nightmare learning curve involved in creating Ages using 3rd party tools such as Max w/plugins. (not that there aren't people out there fully capable.)

I know that a system/strategy such as this would require quite a large staff, especially if any number of people could learn the skill/join the guild (whatever), so perhaps it would be better as an option for higher "level" players and even then there could be a lottery system for choosing applicants (to make it somewhat fair, i suppose).

Anyhoo... I think I've gotten the main points across somewhere up there.

I hope it's food for thought tasty enough to chew on for a while. ;)

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:16 pm 

Great minds think alike, I've been toying with this thought since well about three days after you posted this. Didn't ever see this posting however. Never had the nerve to post my idea though, still working out bugs in the idea, or is that bugs in my head. :lol:

Give explorers a place to stand and they will move the world. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 pm 

It'd be cool, yes, but the "professionals" would have to be fans. Cyan really doesn't have the time, nor will they, I expect, by the time they are even starting to work out the logistics of age creation.

Sorry for the moment of utter practicality, but that's me...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:50 pm 

Release the Maxscripts I say!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]