It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I don’t get it. Cyan clearly told us that it was up to us to create new content:

Dr. Watson wrote:
I believe specifically that that destruction is coming to the Cavern, but I could be wrong about that, too. It is entirely possible that the "destruction" is a great deal larger than that. Either way, we need to use the time we are being given to "Find a way. Make a home." How can we do that? That's where the Guilds come in. We have got to work together. It will not happen overnight. It will likely take many years, in fact. But I believe the Guilds are the key.

As time passes, it grows increasingly unlikely that anything is going to be found in an Age the D'ni have or had access to. And so, we are going to need new Ages at some point. There are those among the Explorers who may eventually be able to assist in that regard. That is the direction I believe we must take. (and even the Explorers who are not interested in joining a Guild) will have to work together: writing, maintaining, mapping, and exploring those new Ages.

It is a grand undertaking. And much of it depends on you Explorers, and how well you choose to work together. Will we be up to the challenge? That definitely remains to be seen. I hope we are.

Note: Dr. Watson said "work together" three times.

So what are we waiting for? What do we expect to hear in a “Season Two” announcement? Reteltee announcing that the Guild of Writers has produced their first age?

I'm sure the guilds are already hard at work on creating new ages. (Are they still awaiting the tools from Cyan to implement them? Do we expect those tools to be delivered IC?)

Now, what can us ordinary explorers do? Assist the guilds? Organize events? Assist newcomers? Just be good members of the community?

A friend of mine once wrote:
I always thought that just by being here, this empty place is being brought a little bit more to life again. I'm sure these hallways were filled with people, going about their lives. By living here, not only is the society revived, but this world becomes further from dead than it ever was before.

Listen... that Book you have there... that's part of something greater than anyone on the surface could have ever dreamed of! We are a part of something great! That in itself reassures me that I am 'needed' here. And just by being here, I am helping whoever, or whatever, it is that needed me.

Even more than new content, what we really need now is some guidance and good leadership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:47 pm 

Agreed 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:54 pm 

Tai'lahr, you and your friend put it very well: 'just by being here...'

Doing what we can where we are, with others or on our own, in Cavern or outside, is the only way open to us at the moment -- to try to help others enjoy the experience of Uru, and to make sure we're enjoying it too.

I'm not sure that we need guidance and good leadership per se. It's more up to us as individuals to decide whether, what, where and how to help.

We can show support for particular guilds if we want and get involved with their work. There's a lot going on in the different guilds, and getting involved in one that best suits our inclinations and talents is an obvious way of fulfilling the challenge.

We can also simply be our individual selves and enrich the Cavern through conversation, giving helpful hints, welcoming newcomers and helping them settle in, supporting events organised by others, thinking through what's happening in the community, taking and expressing delight in what we have -- both that produced by Cyan and that shared generously by other explorers -- whatever best suits our different personalities, skills, preferences. All these will build and strengthen the community.

A builder builds only a house; those who live there make it a home.

Post subject: Do what you can
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:29 pm 

Well, I , for one, think doing what you can is hardly an adequate response to the requirements we must meet.

So
As for me, I will not only do what I can,
I am actively endeavoring to refrain diligently from what I cannot.
I do not refrain from what I ken.
I do not refrain from what I do not ken.
I do, however, absolutely refuse to do that which I cannot.
So, when you see me doing nothing.....
well, I have never really tried nothing....
umm....
and it would appear that doing nothing in support of UruLive would be the most economical
of the activities I could undertake....
umm...well, since I am not an undertaker, not certified anyway,
I will just continue streaming music, chatting up the street crowd, engaging the Slipcrackers and all others who attend the
Continuing Cavern City party in the streets of Aegura every Thursday evening.
I will dance the servers up and I will dance the servers down until Final FoldUp which I dread.
See you all on the streets.

KI#3603122

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:

Tai'lar wrote:

I don’t get it. Cyan clearly told us that it was up to us to create new content:

Dr. Watson wrote:

I believe specifically that that destruction is coming to the Cavern, but I could be wrong about that, too. It is entirely possible that the "destruction" is a great deal larger than that. Either way, we need to use the time we are being given to "Find a way. Make a home." How can we do that? That's where the Guilds come in. We have got to work together. It will not happen overnight. It will likely take many years, in fact. But I believe the Guilds are the key.

As time passes, it grows increasingly unlikely that anything is going to be found in an Age the D'ni have or had access to. And so, we are going to need new Ages at some point. There are those among the Explorers who may eventually be able to assist in that regard. That is the direction I believe we must take. (and even the Explorers who are not interested in joining a Guild) will have to work together: writing, maintaining, mapping, and exploring those new Ages.

It is a grand undertaking. And much of it depends on you Explorers, and how well you choose to work together. Will we be up to the challenge? That definitely remains to be seen. I hope we are.

Tai'lar, I suspect you are exactly on target. I'm sure age creation tools and, even more importantly, the rules for their use, are the two main topic most discussed behind the scenes right now, after the funding issues. The best way to ensure new content on a shoe-string budget is to let the highly motivated fans take care of it, with some rules and regulations so MOUL doesn't turn into Second Life. Rand and Ryan have both discussed this in recent interviews. The Guilds are consistent with this and IC, the message has been made clear by Dr. Watson and Yeesha ( "Find a way, make a home"). What they are likely working out is, what tools to use, how to make sure user content stays consistent with the backstory and vision of URU, and how to continue funding the project. These are actually not minor issues (especially how to control the new content) and may take some time and very careful thought.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:27 pm 

I noticed that this page http://www.gametap.com/home/play/gameDetails/140000150 mentions that we can play MOUL for free until December 2008. I just wished to share this bit of information with all of ya, and leave the speculations to more imaginative people than myself... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Sophia wrote:
I noticed that this page http://www.gametap.com/home/play/gameDetails/140000150 mentions that we can play MOUL for free until December 2008. I just wished to share this bit of information with all of ya, and leave the speculations to more imaginative people than myself... :wink:

That's the free "visitor" version of Uru that's always been available. The date rolls over every year.

KI#76914
Moderator for the Official Gametap Forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 am 

Oh ok, thanks, that answers that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:38 am 

There were forums where the fans gathered to presurve Uru. Those in the effort cracked the game's protection and were reverse engineering game servers. Those forums are still there but very quite.

I think poeple are waiting to see what happens. :?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I think people are waiting to see what happens.

Agreed, that's where I am at the moment. There are a multitude of us who are more than ready and willing to pitch in and do whatever needs to be done, but until we know what we CAN do -- or what we should be doing -- we're simply improvising and waiting. I love the idea of the Guilds, and I feel that my ongoing activities in The Cavern Today podcast are my contribution to the Guild of Messengers, and to the community as a whole. But some overall directives would be wonderful, and would let us all channel our considerable energies.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:29 pm 

Coming up with positive things to support Uru/Cyan and motivate GT is a challenge.

For now one positive thing we can do is join the conversation on the GT forum and keep the "Can we get news on MO:UL Season 2?" thread bumped to the top. Link: Get News :o

Appearently some of the moderators from GT are watching the GT thread and posting about it in a MO:UL thread. You can read that thread here: The Official Gametap forum MO:UL Thread :?

Be sure to visit page 16of the tread. The first post is by macnbc in response to one of my earlier posts. We all need to get macnbc on our good-guy list. He gives an insider's view of what is going on at GT and the GT forums. He is limited by an NDA. Still with insider knowledge (even if he cannot communicate it), his opinions are probably the most informed we are going to hear.

The GameTap forum is fairly new. It is hard to know how experienced their moderators are or if they are under pressure or not. Whatever, moderators are people and have different personalities and make mistakes. Different moderators see things differently and advise members differently. A miscommunication apparently happened and then mistake happened and someone misspoke, nothing new in forum life. Some get over it and others don't. Now we need to turn it into something positive. That does not happen while dissecting the events, assigning blame or trying to get all to agree on 'what it was or is or should have been'. It already is what it is and no one cares much about how the next guy sees it. So, being positive is staying out of the argument as one reads the thread (avoid being sucked in) and moving things forward with one's post. :roll:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Last edited by Nalates on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks everyone! You're all assets to the Uru Community! :D

Thanks NomadMolly, that's the kind of information I was seeking.

Thanks macnbc, for all your advice and insightful comments that help keep us on track throughout this trying time.

Thanks Dot, for leading by example.

Sophia: Your recent remarks of encouragement (and Murray's) have been greatly appreciated!

And, Beachrm: Well, um, that's the most eloquent use of double-negatives I've ever seen!

Thend, thanks for the support, and for using the "official" REBEL symbol ( 8) ) in your post! :P

Nalates wrote:
There were forums where the fans gathered to presurve Uru. Those forums are still there but very quite.

Just for anyone who is curious: the Uru Forums. (Let's never forget those that paved the way for us to be here, today.)

Nalates wrote:
For now one positive thing we can do is join the conversation on the GT forum and keep the "Can we get news on MO:UL Season 2?" thread bumped to the top. Link: Get News :o

Thanks, Nalates, for that excellent suggestion. :)

Mowog wrote:
There are a multitude of us who are more than ready and willing to pitch in and do whatever needs to be done, but until we know what we CAN do -- or what we should be doing -- we're simply improvising and waiting.

But some overall directives would be wonderful, and would let us all channel our considerable energies.

Exactly!

Reteltee, where are you? . . . GreyDragon? . . . Atrus? . . . Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

There are a number of people who have been creating ages many months/years before Dr. Watson's speech was made. Our capability to create ages has just increased dramatically thanks to the hard work of Trylon and other developers of a fan-created tool. So, while we wait for season 2 to start, we have plenty to keep us busy.

To learn how to visit these ages or to create your own, please visit the Guild of Writers Wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I talked to reteltee last night, he is around,

Post subject: Thoughts on Leadership
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:05 am 

Shorah everyone.

I'm afraid I haven't had the time to be actively involved in Uru since the finale of season 1. This is due to the birth of my son, Aviel (Ah-vee-el) at the end of the year. Naturally, he and my wife have been occupying the lion's share of my attention, in between work and what spare time I can afford to digitize my consciousness and surf the electronic wave.

All that to say, I haven't been around. And aside from a few emails, PM's and an IM conversation, I haven't even really talked to many Explorers in the last two months, let alone actually venture down to the Cavern.

My apologies if my presence has been missed. I assure you, I have missed the Explorers as well. But one only has so many hours in the day, no?

In any case, I can appreciate that with the departure of the DRC, there may be a feeling of vacuum in the Cavern at the moment. A lack of clear, defined leadership.

This is a development which some have found...uncomfortable at best, distasteful at worst. I can empathize with both sentiments.

So, the question lies before us....what do we do? Without the DRC (and with no certain guarantee of their return; before you ask me, no, I do not know anything about whether or not they will be back), a decision faces the Explorer community.

Can the Cavern survive without a specific, identified leadership? If not, then who will we select to be our leaders? The Guilds? Some new form of leadership not yet seen in the Cavern?

Whatever the choice, I will not be the one to make that decision. I have done my best to remain neutral and removed from the politics and power struggles which plagued both the DRC, and certain elements of the Explorer community. I am an adviser, nothing more. And while I am flattered when certain Explorers call for my "leadership" (whatever it is that they perceive it to be), I assure you, I am not the one to look to. I am no Atrus, no Eneah or Tulla. What I can provide is perspective...the long perspective of the historian, which can tame fires, but rarely, if ever, ignites them.

The Cavern is yet dark my friends. If we are to have leaders, then they must be able to kindle everlasting flames in the hearts of our merry band. For only then will the light of the D'ni be restored.

A very fond Shorah to you all.

--Reteltee