It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: AoG in Distress
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:42 pm 

Hello all.

Unfortunately, the Assembly of Guilds seems to have finally reached its limit of uses.

Our webhost Earthwizard left the game a little under a year ago, and we haven't been able to reach him since. This wouldn't be a huge problem except for the fact that we don't have total privelages on the site, which means there is next to nothing we can do to manage the forum other than basic administration. We couldn't edit the site, or do basic much-needed maintenance (like fix the 5 billion typos in the mission statement on the portal page). In the past we've been getting by, but the anti-spam measures have never been adequate, and Whilyam was left deleting spam accounts day in and day out to manage it all. Basically, our webhost left us with the boat, but took the rudder.

In addition, the Guilds that started out using our forum have moved on to their own sites, and while this is certainly a step in the right direction, the 30-something other groups that we set up forums for in the beginning have disappeared, lost interest, or become obsolete. The notion of a Guild-wide meeting place and information exchange has been replaced with the MO:UL Guild forums.

I think the concept of the AoG has merit, but the whole idea behind it was that it remained fluid. However, seeing that we can't manage the site, and I no longer have the time to keep it up-to-date (and seeing that our other mods and supporters left, leaving the load on poor Whilyam's shoulders) that too has become impossible.

The AoG did manage to accomplish some of its original goals during it existence, namely providing a launch-pad and home for a few minor groups and at least one of the major Guilds. But as it stands, things don't look good for the Assembly of Guild's future.

So, I regret say that our site will no longer be servicing the community. We are henceforth retiring uruguilds.org.

HOWEVER...

IF any of you in the community want to see this tool continue, and IF any of you are willing to help us find a new home on the web, we would be grateful for the help. The AoG does have potential, but not in its current state. The only way the Guild Assembly idea with live on is if we find a new home and get more support.

But that is up to the community. With the Guilds up and running, I am no longer needed to be bull-dogging for the Guild concept. That's Reteltee's job now.

If any of you want the AoG to continue, pm me or Whilyam, and we'll do our best to resuscitate it and pull it off life-support. But in the meantime, we are officially closed for business. Thank you to everyone who cared about the idea and helped bring it to fruition. It's in your hands now, if you choose to have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Calam, I certainly appreciate the work you have done at the AoG.

Quote:
But that is up to the community. With the Guilds up and running, I am no longer needed to be bull-dogging for the Guild concept. That's Reteltee's job now.

Has anyone actually heard from Reteltee at all since the last episode? Is he around?

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject: Re: AoG in Distress
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:32 pm 

Calam wrote:
IF any of you are willing to help us find a new home on the web, we would be grateful for the help.

I can help out with a home for the site, if you just want to be sure the site is archived somewhere drop me a PM, and I can indefinitely host the site.

Sadly I don’t have the time to manage the site & forum in a full admin capacity, let alone resurrect it, and I’m in agreement that most the guild system is now already handled elsewhere.

Also a call to any other projects that are in a static/redundant state, if you would like your project site to be archived for any purpose please feel free to PM me and I’ll be happy to try and help out preserving the website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
BladeLakem wrote:
Has anyone actually heard from Reteltee at all since the last episode? Is he around?

Yeah, Where is Reteltee? We sure could use his guidance and leadership right now. But, his disappearing act makes me think he might be a Cyan actor, rather than a real explorer. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 am 

Sorry to hear that the AoG is hitting the limits as far as your rights on the site go.

EarthWizard's original hope for the site I think could still happen. But it is as much a victim of the hiatus as so many other projects and ideas. <shrug> With the missing now fictional December newsletter it would seem guilds are still on the plate. </shrug> Question is can the site be refurbished and made into something that can be of use during season two? What the AoG managed to do for the Maintainers Supporters was and is a really wonderful thing; It gave us the space to get our feet under ourselves.

P.S. @ Tai'lahr

He's a Explorer, and while we may have doubts about his non-Cyanism he doesn't. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:17 am 

It's was nice for them to set up my group the SAPS. So far we don't have a home and not much for resources to find one. Hopefully something will come along. Thanks again Calam and Whil!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
MustardJeep wrote:
P.S. @ Tai'lahr

He's a Explorer, and while we may have doubts about his non-Cyanism he doesn't. :lol:

Oh, yeah? Well, let him come to the cavern right now and prove it! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:37 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
MustardJeep wrote:
P.S. @ Tai'lahr

Oh, yeah? Well, let him come to the cavern right now and prove it! :P

give the guy a break, he's got a new kid. with not much going on in the cavern right now i'm sure that's a higher priority for him right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interesting. New kids always take a lot out of you. Heck, my old kids take a lot out of me ;)

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:26 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Think you're tired now? Just wait until the old kids start having new kids ! :lol:

Babies are awesome, I hope he's enjoying every minute. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey Calam,

What methods have you tried for reaching Earthwizard? Do you know if he is the person who registered the domain name, or did he merely run the server that the domain points to?

All signs indicate that the server is hosted by http://www.siteground.com/ ... perhaps they can put you in touch with him again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just did a WHOIS search that gave point of contact information. I PM'd it to Calam. Hopefully that might prove fruitful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 pm 

Firesign wrote:
give the guy a break, he's got a new kid. with not much going on in the cavern right now i'm sure that's a higher priority for him right now.

Confirmed. RL is very busy for him now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I talked to him last night :) he's around but like others said RL takes priority :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Samsbase wrote:
I talked to him last night :) he's around but like others said RL takes priority :)

Who? Reteltee or EarthWizard? In the Cavern? Reteltee is talking about RL now?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next