It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:55 pm 
(Sorry, mods, if this is in the wrong place...if you move it please tell me where because I'm hoping for answers)

All right. I have realMyst up and running, and I always preferred it to classic Myst anyway so that's all right. Exile works, though the audio sync is up the spout but I can live with that. Revelation, EoA, no problem. Uru Prime, hopefully (I want ULM).

The bugbear, as always, is Riven. Arguably the best and most iconic of the bunch, including the original, and will it work? No.

If anyone knows a way to get Riven working on the same machine as Quicktime 7+ (not negotiable as I have an iPod and so need iTunes and yada and yada) I will be eternally grateful. I need something to play besides Solitaire till whatever is going to happen happens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:13 pm 

Have you tried Googling "Riven" + "Running on a new machine...?"

The very first thing you need to do is right-click the Riven.exe file, go to the "compatibility" tab and click "Run in Windows 95 compatibility mode". This will -hopefully- allow Riven to run.

Now, my problem once I got this to happen is that Riven wouldn't run with sound on the videos (vastly important!). I forget the exact solution to this problem, but there IS a way around it that involves changing one of the system files in Riven. I HIGHLY SUGGEST GOOGLING FOR THIS BECAUSE I DO NOT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS AND IF YOU FIDDLE WITH THE SOURCE FILES FOR RIVEN WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING YOU WILL BREAK IT. Well, obviously.

I managed to get Riven to run then on my Windows XP Gateway laptop with sound. My problem was that when I tried to change disks (I was using the old 5-disk monster) the game crashed. If you're using the DVD version you will probably have no problems but you might want to be aware of that anyway. I still haven't found a way around it.

"Internet: Sirrus Buisness"
Ages of D'ni - A Play By Post D'ni Adventure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:16 pm 
Thanks! I found a solution that seems to work. I did try Googling but got lost in a forest of broken links.

Fully armed now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:27 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Care to share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:38 am 
Obduction Backer

One of the way i found

get quick time. Should be on riven's cd/dvd.

if not :
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=quicktime

Open the QT32INST.INI
type :
CheckExistingVersions=0 instead of CheckExistingVersions=1
this avoid the install to gets wacky as the old version check just crash.. And run as admin if under vista.

I'm not 100% sure it don't conflict if a newer version is installed. don't remember this causing trouble, but i bearly use quicktime. I'll check this out.

Edit:
i did re-test this, on my laptop where i had Itunes installed for my sis.
riven starts, Itunes starts, i can listen to .mov. So would say it'a a go ;)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:51 am 
Obduction Backer

There's some very helpful information for getting Riven to run on XP here:
http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/inde ... ntry322778

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

It used to be that you could uninstall the current quicktime and install Riven, which would put its version on. Then re-installing the recent version of QT again to make it work. That is an old solution but might still work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:38 pm 

Donahoo wrote:
It used to be that you could uninstall the current quicktime and install Riven, which would put its version on. Then re-installing the recent version of QT again to make it work. That is an old solution but might still work.
It does. I did it in Vista. :) Although there is a glitch. If you load a game while you're in the game, it'll crash. However if you just save games while in Riven and you load a game only when you want to resume, you'll never notice it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 pm 

Ryuu Tenshi wrote:
My problem was that when I tried to change disks (I was using the old 5-disk monster) the game crashed. If you're using the DVD version you will probably have no problems but you might want to be aware of that anyway. I still haven't found a way around it.

If you have the disk space, just copy all the Mohawk (.mhk) files from each CD in the data directory to the data directory of your installed game. Then you do not have to even put a CD into the machine. Install the 1.02 patch so you do not have to ride the ore cart through the underwater tunnel twice :D . This patch fixes a bug that drove me crazy since I originally ran Riven on a machine too slow to get out of its own way and I saw maybe 1 frame out of 5 during the video segments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

you might also take a look at the mohawk.w32 file fEnableAudioProxy=true
must be set to "fales", this alone or with win95/98 compatibilety solves most riven problems.

~static~ bring! me the RElto pages~static~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 am 

It has been a while, since I fiddled with it, but when I was still running 98, I was able to install the old quicktime, then move the relevant support files over. The old version of quicktime seemed to co-exist with the new version. I don't know if that still works. Looks like you have your own solution, though.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives