It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Guild of Greeters
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:15 am 

The Guild of Greeters

One thing that can't be built into the game is community. You can make an enjoyable game that is fun to play. You can make features that many people like. You can't create an atmosphere of friendliness & cooperation by programming it in, though. You may be able to create little chat bots that man information booths. This might make the game more enjoyable. Such things will never replace the volunteers that spent their time in the game to help people out & help visitors to feel welcome in the game.

I know there are probably seasoned players that know every puzzle, and have probably never felt the need to stop by the greeterville. Uru is really a different type of game, though, and if one never made any friends in the game, they were really missing out. When the story lost momentum, and we were in between 'seasons', I found that even my enjoyment of the ages wasn't always enough to draw me into the cavern. So, in between various activities, like opening doors for fun, I'd often find myself heading to the Greeter's Bevin.

What happened in the Greeter's Bevin? Visitors would often drop by to find out what was up. Sometimes they would be confused. A friendly greeter would often be able to answer questions & help the explorer. Often these greeters would go with the explorer & show them how to do things. When the greeters weren't helping new explorers, they would also provide conversation & company for other explorers that passed through. They would sometimes entertain other explorers -- sometimes even intentionally.

When the city finally opened up publically, it was a pair of greeters that toured it with me. They linked with me to the gallery, and we explored together. We took pictures together. Many of those pictures are now destined to be lost forever on a rented server. Some of them were Ki shots, others, I foolishly transferred to my imager not thinking about the consequences.

Now, activities like this took place in other Bevins. There were also other neighborhoods that were barely used. Greeter's was one hood where there was almost always someone there. (until the later days, when the departure of the "Two Guys" signaled the close of Greeter's(& virtually the cavern))

When the cavern closed, I was left in GOG. The images of everyone were still there. Sadly, what made them who they were had left. I decided to take the opportunity to record what memories I could of the surrealistic adventure that became my world & also the people that shared it with me. This is a tribute to those people that made this experience more than just a game to me. Cyan made the experience more than just a chatroom to me. The cavern had life & was breathing. Even without the extraordinary, there was treasure to be found in the caverns of D'ni -- that is, to those that chose to find it.

Once again, I apologize for the quality. I took these shots with a digital camera. They aren't as sharp & clear as screen shots. Also, in many of them, there is some monitor glare. I couldn't figure out which lamp was creating it. This creates a sunny glow in most of the pictures. pictures are large, 800x600, but they aren't huge. If the spoiler tags still worked, I would have enclosed the pictures, so that they didn't take so much room. I'm not sure about the maximum post size, so I will begin a new thread for the pictures. I also apologize if you were a greeter, and I left you out. I was going to confirm the greeter status of all the "non shirted" ones, but unfortunately, URU eventually stack dumped & crashed. I did take other pictures that I will post later. Most likely I caught a shot of you, even if there's no official acknowledgement.

So, without further ado, here they are.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 am 

The Guild of Greeters

Andrew Yosso

Bob_C

Budgie 2

Deem

Derbeh at Last

Eddie

Golden Wedge

IBnetWeasel

Ja'de

Kelm

Kimmie

Kon'Dor

Lial

L'orr

Panda

Robin

Rocky

Roland

Slygon

Te'ana

Ural

Veralun

I would like to extend special thanks to:

Tex'ana -- she was one of the two greeters that went with me to the city,when it was first publicly opened. She was probably most responsible for me adjusting to this online experience.

Budgie aka. Budgie2 -- She was one of my earliest greeter memories. she was fun and interesting. She gave me feathers.

Kimmie -- She was unique and fun. She showed me holes in the universe.

Kon'Dor, IBnet & Roland -- These guys always provided good conversation

Fjord (not shown) -- He did a good job of decorating the fountain.

Panda -- She seemed to be nice. I did not know her that long. She was probably one of the most non-threatening greeters.

Mireena -- I think she was a greeter at one time. She and her sister, Miranna were always generous and friendly. Not only did they welcome new people, they also showed people around the cavern, toured ages with people, Opened doors, provided conversation, and made the cavern fun. Most explorers, if they have ever ventured beyond their own Relto & ages have probably run into this pair. While greeters were often confined to their base, if they didn't have enough people, Miranna & Mireena were able to tour ages with explorers & provide assistance on a moment's notice.

The rest of the greeters -- thanks for being there & volunteering your time.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:47 am 

Thankyou for the pictures of the Guild of Greeters. The Guild of Greeters were a great group, thankyou all very much who helped in the Guild of Greeters and for volunteering your time to help out others. The Guild of Greeters were always helpful and always said hello to all the came to their bevin neighbourhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:50 am 

Thank you for all the efforts and hard work you have put in over the years, Greeters, that was greatly appreciated by everybody. I just love the website and the information on it, and you have done a tremendous job organizing a neighbourhood to welcome newcomers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:04 am 

Many thanks to Doug for sharing his pictures with us all. I can see that things were really jumping in the GOG Hood at the end.

I would also like to say a big thank you to the Greeters. My first port of call on visiting the Cavern would always be the GOG Hood. And when I wasn't in the Cavern, I'd be checking out their website to see what was happening in Greeterville. I wasn't able to be in the Cavern at the time it was closed for maintenance as it was probably 4.00 am in the morning Australia time. However, I suspect I would not have been able to enter as I was kicked off the server earlier in the day. However, my last experience in the Cavern was to participate in a Delin run organised by several of the Greeters. I was thrilled to be part of this as, for me, the garden runs epitomised the sense of community within the Cavern - a sense of helping and sharing that was always supported by the Greeters. I'm already missing not being able to log on and check out the scene but I'm taking this opportunity to scan the forums and do some much needed maintenance on my laptop. Maintenance I was too nervous to do just in case it made it impossible for me to be there at the end. All my fingers and toes are crossed for a positive future. I even wore my Cautious Optimism T-shirt on the final day!!

MO:UL KI# 08022570

Post subject: GoG
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:02 am 

Thanks for posting the pics!

I missed the last day due to RL stuff and your pics of those familiar explorers and good people give me a taste of being there!

The Greeters Bevin has always been a place to hang out and to meet and help other explorers. Thank you Greeters for creating such a positive place! Its not good bye.

Its so long for now........ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, Greeters! You're a big part of the reason why this gaggle of strangers became such an amazing community. I didn't stop by often; I regret that now. Bless you and shorah!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:09 pm 

The Guild of Greeters is still around people! They're offering help with Uru CC at the moment.

However, should Uru begin again, the Greeters have told me they will jump right back into their spot and begin welcoming again.

The End has not yet been written ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11 pm 

There is an active Greeter group, the Fellowship of Greeters, in Guild Wars. If you want some company there, just let us know.

Also, many Greeters are active in There, as is proved by them helping me up the learning curve last night. :) Might be some in Second Life also, but I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank You Doug. I'm very happy to see that I was included since my role in the Greeters was primarily administrative. I did try to get into the Cavern as often as I could. I would also like to thank all experienced Explorers who took the time to help out new Explorers where ever they were. Not everyone wanted to be a member of an organization but their contributions are just as important.

And if anyone is playing LOTR, I'm there as JadeBoon Dni. I'm not much help to anyone yet but if you want to bungle along just let me know.

Post subject: GoG
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:49 pm 

Doug, Thank you very much for the pics and the kind words.

The Cavern may be gone now ( who really knows if it is a temporary or permanent closure ) but the cavern will never be forgotten. " The Two Guys " didn't get to do their closing act on the last night, customer service took that away from us. Perhaps that is a good thing because I know I would have had a very hard time saying goodnight to all the great explorers while knowing I could not say " See Ya Tomorrow".

So, perhaps, I'll' just say that I hope to see all the explorers ( like yourself ) somewhere down the road....

Shorah
Kon'Dor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah!
I truly enjoyed your post and was very honored to be one of the Greeters in URULive. I will always remember the times greeting and getting to know all of you. you have a special place in my heart.
Hope to see you all soon in the next adventure that Cyan will create for all of us.
Until then ----------SHORAH--------
Nita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Now isn't this just typical... Someone takes my picture,... and I have my eyes closed!!! ROTFL! :wink:
Happily, all the rest of the shots make up for it. Good job, and thanks! :D

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks so much for the kind words and the recognition of some of our hard working Greeters! I even made it in one photo, standing next to Rocky, though I had on my 2006 Mysterium Shirt! The love of the game, Uru, and the joy of helping others discover that wonderful place, was a great reward for those of us that donned a Greeter Shirt. Getting thank yous makes it that much better and is most appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Doug, Thanks so much for taking the time to post those fine pics recognize myself and the other folks who were in the cavern to help others. I wasn't nearly as active as some of the others but it's still nice to be singled out for some recognition.

The community was a major part of URU, and I hold out some hope for a re-opening of the cavern. If/when cavern access returns, I'll be back as soon as I get the news! URU was my first online experience and, until very recently, the only online game I have played.

Shorah,
BobC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next