It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I just received the Guild of Messengers newsletter by e-mail the other day and it looks great. I didn't find much news in it that was news to me, but then, right now, I'm still staying connected, in touch, and informed (including devouring every morsel in these forums). But, as I move on to new interests, and begin to visit this and other forums less frequently, I'm relieved to know I won't miss anything important. I know that the GoMe will do the legwork (er, fingerwork?) to find and compile the relevant information, and send it directly to my inbox. :D

Thanks to everyone in the GoMe, and especially those that worked on the newsletter. You're awesome. And, I'm grateful.

And, to everyone who is moving on and finding new homes, I highly recommend that you sign up, too. Here's where to sign up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:24 pm 

Comments like these Tai'lahr make our job worth while, thank you. If anyone thinks they could help out with writing or just keeping an eye out for news on other forums please feel free to pop along to the GoMe.
Take care
Szark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 am 

Hey Szark,

Could you post this most recent newsletter on the GoMa board? The email address I usually receive the newsletter at is down, and I didn't receive it. I have been posting them in a thread there for the members to read if they'd like. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks much,
-Nyn

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:30 am 
Obduction Backer

I received an empty newsletter without attachment. Then a second email that said they were trying to get the attachments to work. Then... nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:11 am 

D'Lanor wrote:
I received an empty newsletter without attachment. Then a second email that said they were trying to get the attachments to work. Then... nothing.

Hi D'Lanor,

I will forward your mesage to GoMe for them to send you a new copy.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor,

You'd be the second person who didn't get a copy, after Veralun. We'll need to find out who else didn't get copies, because I know other people _did_ receive the e-mail.

Also, anyone who wants can find the April newsletter at the LIBRARY page at the GoMe.
http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/library.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:

Exactly the same happened to me. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:24 pm 

Maybe it wound up in your junk email because of the attachment?

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't trust junk filters so I let mine only tag, not trash. So if anyone trashed it it was me. But I doubt that since I caught the first two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

What's interesting is that everyone on the list (who has spoken up thus far) seems to have gotten the first few messages with no PDF, but then some people didn't receive the PDF... and the list of recipients should have been the same.

But never fear. We'll figure out some way of improving the reliability, even if it means sending out two messages, one to notify people the newsletter is on our website, and one to send it directly to your inboxes... so if the package-laden message is waylaid by gremlins, the first message with no tasty treats should still make it through safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:57 am 

I got 3 emails, the first 2 being blank, the 3rd one with the pdf. the PDF one was sent from a different email account to the first two

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:52 am 
Obduction Backer

The Guild of Messengers is working on a new newsletter for June. Before we are ready to send it out, I'd like to solicit feedback on the delivery and content of the previous newsletters. We've had some difficulty in getting the newsletter into some peoples' e-mail inboxes, and if I can collect some information on who is affected, we might be able to identify why this is happening. Please add comments to this discussion or PM me if you'd prefer to keep them private.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:41 am 
Obduction Backer

I already PM'd this to Shimmer, but maybe the same happend to the others who did not receive the newsletter, so I'll post it here too.

There seems to be a difference in the mail header in mails from GoMe compared to other mails.
Normally, each mail header has (and should have) an embedded field called "to" which describes where the mail is intended to go to (the receiver, or addressee).

Example:
(Sorry, I'm using a german Thunderbird; "Betreff"="Subject", "Datum"="Date", "Von"="From" and "An"="To".)

I've checked a bunch of other mails, even spam, newsletters, private mails from friends, and each has this "to"-field ("An").

Mails from GoMe on the other hand look like this:
the header is missing the receiver (to).

Maybe it was just a bit luck that "some" mails reached me (that is, directly, when no relay server was needed), but could be the case that the process fails if there is some difficulty with the mail server chain and relay servers are necessary to route through a different path, and the relay servers then don't know where to send to. Just my idea.

tach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Emails do not have to be sent "To" recipients. You can put all recipients in a CC or, when email addresses must remain private, in BCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:52 am 
Obduction Backer

True. I've tried to reduce it to simplicity.

Explained more in-depth, there has to be at least an RCPT-TO (recipient) command during the SMTP protocol. This RCPT-TO command specifies the real recipient; this communication between mail clients and mail server (or between relay servers) can be understood as part of the "SMTP envelope". Unfortunatelly, you will never see this SMTP envelope, you'll only get the "content" of the email letter, together with the header (which can be faked), not the protocol. In fact, that's why BCC works - otherwise you would see all hidden (Blind Carbon Copy) recipients.
If a mail is send to multiple recipients, the RCPT-TO command is simply repeated, with all recipient addresses, one at a time.

Just the fact that the to-field in the mail header is missing lets me guess there could be something wrong with the RCPT-TO content or handling too.
And even if you send mails just to BCCs without giving a TO or BC addressee, there is mostly "some text" in the TO field, describing that the recipients are not listed public - so maybe a relay server would just reject to forward a mail which has no TO field in the header, especially huge mails with an attachment. The two "empty" mails passed through, just to mention again. And AFAIK it only happend to ppl in The Netherlands and Germany, so it makes me think a relay server is involved.

I just tried to suggest checking the newsletter delivery method. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next