It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:11 am 

Are people seriously willing to pay $50 or more a year for old content and, no offense to anyone, some rather unspectacular player created stuff? I don't know that I am. As much as I like the game, and believe me I have been through every incarnation of it, I don't know how I can, in this market/economy, justify such an extravagance without getting something in return from Cyan other then an open server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:23 am 

Well,there's isn't much Cyan Worlds can do...yet.They said that if the game will be successful,we will get Cyan Worlds content.And for the game to be successful,we need to...pay to play.And get others too.But it's your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:27 am 
Obduction Backer

50$ a year is in the order of 14 cents a day; not much, if you consider that around here an espresso is about 1,5$ and basic sat tv costs around 25$ a month. Many do not feel this is a high price at all for continued access and the possibility to use and make fan content.

Of course, if you don't feel it's worth the price, no one forces you to pay. We're (still) in a free world. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:37 am 

rygynjupiter wrote:
Are people seriously willing to pay $50 or more a year for old content and, no offense to anyone, some rather unspectacular player created stuff?

Offence taken!

As of right now spectacular things are happening over at the Guild of Writers and Guild of Maintainers, Ages are coming Ahra Pahts is being filled.
The plugin developers are doing miracles, if it means we get "Fan Created Content" i'll pay, though I think Cyan should be asking for about twice that, and get some extra dough in the pocket.

If its on the old engine, then we'll have access to the old marker games.

Also for over 4 years from Prologue to MOUL there was absolutely no new content, 4 YEARS.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:45 am 
Obduction Backer

It may seem odd to pay for things that you're creating yourself... but, that is not the case. We are only paying to cover the server costs, and that's only fair in my opinion. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:49 am 
What we're paying for is potential. As long as Uru online exists, it has the potential to grow and become better. As long as it doesn't, it can't. The concept of the D'niverse is huge and, as of now, mostly undeveloped in game terms. Uru online is a means to develop it. It's also an online community that has a detailed and fascinating backstory giving it form and is not based on combat. And, as of now, it will hopefully become a way for up-and-coming storytellers, 3D modellers, artists, musicians and puzzle designers to practice their crafts and put the results on display.

So yes, we are seriously willing to pay to keep Uru alive, to allow those of us who can Write Ages to share them with us, and also in the hope that our doing so will enable Cyan to continue the story at some future point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 am 

yes, maybe I see it with more of an objective eye then most who call themselves "fans". In my view I am attracted to the amazing stuff Cyan produces, the quality,imagination and experience that comes along with it. There dream and worlds is where I want to play and pay for. Now don't get me wrong player created stuff is fine for some and indeed it is apart of many online games (they have a part), but that is not what I am really interested in. Yes, they are done with love and all from the fans/creators but the quality is not the same and if all we have is a flood of these "ages" with nothing but reused bit of other ages, the quality level and motivation to play and pay goes down for me. Plus there is the added fact of the outdated software/engine that is continually going to be used.

I think people are more focused on the nostalgia and love for the original URU, giving it cult status, then seeing perhaps the reality of the situation. It is a wonderful world to play in but how long can it last as technology moves by? The game is frozen in time and so I think are a lot of the players.

I am not trying to put anyone or anything down, just trying to look at this from another view point is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:06 am 
Obduction Backer

rygynjupiter wrote:
In my view I am attracted to the amazing stuff Cyan produces, the quality,imagination and experience that comes along with it. There dream and worlds is where I want to play and pay for.

I too want more Cyan Ages and Cyan story, that's what attracted me in the first place. But as zander said, by keeping Uru alive that situation may become a reality. After all, in the press release at the GoME it was said that Cyan may also release some new content after a while.
But Uru needs to be a living, breathing world for that to come true. And this "MORE" plan realises that. Also, it finally allows the community to contribute to the game they love, and to have some fun in D'ni again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:15 am 

Than what do you suggest us to do? don't pay and play and let Cyan Worlds,MOUL,and the potential of MOUL die?

We ALL don't like the fact thet Cyan Worlds won't make content to MOUL right now.But we will do what it takes to keep them and MOUL up,so they WILL be able to do that.I don't know what about you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:15 am 

Erik wrote:
I too want more Cyan Ages and Cyan story, that's what attracted me in the first place. But as zander said, by keeping Uru alive that situation may become a reality. After all, in the press release at the GoME it was said that Cyan may also release some new content after a while.
But Uru needs to be a living, breathing world for that to come true. And this "MORE" plan realises that. Also, it finally allows the community to contribute to the game they love, and to have some fun in D'ni again.

I get that, I do. But again I ask how long will that last? Can we all reflect to last time that URU was back and people sat an complained about there not being enough content or that was being produced was not good enough for them to continue playing, and that was back with GT and their pricing, which included other games admittedly mostly crappy games but other games, so how is the situation going to do this time? How long do you think people are going to keep paying and paying before the complaining/concern starts again?

Hey, I am all for Cyan thriving and seeing the game and maybe even the movie be made but there comes a tipping point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:21 am 

The stranger wrote:
Than what do you suggest us to do? don't pay and play and let Cyan Worlds,MOUL,and the potential of MOUL die?

We ALL don't like the fact thet Cyan Worlds won't make content to MOUL right now.But we will do what it takes to keep them and MOUL up,so they WILL be able to do that.I don't know what about you...

I think it is going to take a lot more then people realize. We are basically the crutch, the enabler, the life support for this company/game right now and its a difficult and sad situation. We are trying to prop up a technology and game that while great and had its day, kind of does a disservice to it. How much longer can we go on outdated material and so forth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:34 am 
And I think you're pre-judging something that hasn't happened yet.

You aren't interested in any content that isn't created by Cyan. We get that. You think Uru is outdated. We get that too. We just don't necessarily agree that this isn't going to work, because not everyone feels the way you do.

I'm tempted to ask the obvious question--"if you think it's going to be that bad, why are you here?"--but that's never worked in the past, so I won't bother. You've voiced your opinion, and we've heard it. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am 

Outdated? people don't really CARE about this stuff.Look at runescape- a popular MMO,much more popular than MOUL,and it's a browser game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:46 am 

zander_nyrond wrote:
And I think you're pre-judging something that hasn't happened yet.

You aren't interested in any content that isn't created by Cyan. We get that. You think Uru is outdated. We get that too. We just don't necessarily agree that this isn't going to work, because not everyone feels the way you do.

I'm tempted to ask the obvious question--"if you think it's going to be that bad, why are you here?"--but that's never worked in the past, so I won't bother. You've voiced your opinion, and we've heard it. Thank you.

yes, and having an adult and objective conversation is beyond you, we get that and thank you.

and I never said I was not interested in fan anything, just what I have seen has not been very good.

and again in what history of the whole game has it ever been successful? your saying I don't think it will work but then again there is no proof that it has or will. I am a realist and if looking at things objectively for all sides is annoying you, well nothing I can do about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:47 am 

The stranger wrote:
Outdated? people don't really CARE about this stuff.Look at runescape- a popular MMO,much more popular than MOUL,and it's a browser game.

hmmm, that is interesting considering how you go back a few months to when the game was on GT and a lot of people complained about just that, its engine, lag and so on.

How quickly we forget.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next