It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Forums have been put up, currently there is only a planning section for input from you guys on how things should be set up. Feel free to start topics but for now try and keep specific items contained to related topics.

http://artists.grey-skies.net/forums/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:15 pm 

Ace wrote:
Anyone have a time preference? Weekday night? Weekend?

Maybe we should start looking at time zones before we decide on actual time and day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:01 pm 

hope it goes well.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

*content removed*

Last edited by D'Lanor on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:23 pm 

thanks

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
Well, I tend to divide Artists and Writers because of their IC counterparts... It's just easier to say that you're an Artist that does some Writing too, or vice versa.

Yeah, that's a good point. :)

Ian Atrus wrote:
Also remember that the Cartographers were not supposed to be one of the big five in the initial draft, so I doubt they were supposed to take on all the 'conceptual' side of Age making. Remember that picture of the Surveyors' pub was saw in the preview? It was Reteltee who convinced 'Cate' to switch Surveyors for Cartographers because they were an already existing guild.

I was not aware of that. /Ace takes notes. I'm not sure finding out it was Surveyors first necessarily contradicts the principle, but I want to make it clear: I'm not suggesting that the Guild of Fine Artists or anyone else try to BE that organization. I only bring it up to explain my perception of how things stand currently. And because it illustrates usefully how much there is for everyone to do.

Tweek wrote:
Plant/Wildlife should be covered by the D'ni Zoological Society who have been around before the Guild stuff was being put in place. Journals back history falls under Archivists/Artists area (collaboration work).

Absolutely! But as was pointed out previously, it doesn't have to be handled exclusively by them. I should hope that we would have a good enough working relationship with each of those organizations and all the others, that we can be interested in and learn about their disciplines, and they ours. And that as players, we'd have the freedom to mix and mingle and practice what we will.

Tweek wrote:
As for your comments about a searchable db of members and what skills they have and examples of their work, that is an idea I like but not something that can be implemented by myself at the moment due to time constraints (especially now MOUL is returning)

I don't think anyone is expecting it to be a unilateral effort on your part. There's all sorts of expertise all over the community; if the consensus is that such a db or anything else is desireable, I have no doubt it'll evolve as we work together.

Mysthral wrote:
Maybe we should start looking at time zones before we decide on actual time and day?

Also a good point. :D In the interim, there's already some useful discussion going on at the forum Tweek put up. I'll put up a thread there where people can weigh in on availability for a live chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Believe it or not you are not the only person who comes from a professional art background. I however, do not have 40 years experience as I am only in my late twenties.

Also please note where I specifically mention about using the forum for planning, please also note that there are currently people posting on said forum discussing how such a guild should be planned.

Also the term fine art refers to a aspect of art where you are not channeled into doing one thing, it is an across the board area of work (I spent 7 years studying specifically "Fine Art").

I would like to also point out that I first build the site and forums almost a year ago just prior to the Guilds being released in Uru Live, I have yet to hear a complaint until now.

I want to make this work, but make no mistake, I have no issue with walking away if arguments start up, I have no time for that anymore. As D'lanor said, bickering is really not needed.

Now had I gone out set the forum up with specific structures in mind fair enough, but I set it up with one section for planning specifically.

[edit] And the post I was addressing has been removed, my point still stands.

Last edited by Tweek on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
[edit] And the post I was addressing has been removed, my point still stands.

Yes, sorry. Things got a little heated and we decided to take it to PM. But I am glad it made you clarify the purpose of the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:51 pm 

I wish the arts guild well, indeed. And was only mostly concerned that it be a shared effort. History is history now is now, and whatever has been in the past can guilde us but hope for survival of MOUL and URU and MORE depends on shared and most diligent effort at transparecy and humility and welcoming in of all concerned. Those were my concerns. Good luck with it all ...i sincerely mean that.

What Cyan and Rand have started and the efforts of so many explorers and good people have begun is wonderful and deserves every effort.

And overal and from most here in both the Cyan staff, interns and community, there is great respect, courtesy and humility here and that is one of the most wonderful parts of sharing here.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:52 pm 

Tweek, it is very generous of you to provide the Fine Arts Guild forum. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:55 pm 

Back to topic

In PM with Ace the subject of an umbrella guild came up. I had to ask him where he got that idea and why he thought that the GoC was the one. I'm not much of a D'ni historian but there are sites where such creatures exist. Seems from what I read there is some grounds for that idea. Hmmm.

However, it is not going to hurt the GoC's feelings if we are not an umbrella... explorers have been picking on umbrellas and umbrella makers ever since I can remember...

I guess I have the most say about the GoC... Not because I have rank, but simply because I talk the most. While Cyan may have had plans for the GoC I'm not at all sure that still applies to the Restoration Experiment. The D'ni Era history is probably not really going to control what we do OOC to organize our efforts to build UCC. I think trying to apply IC to OoC efforts will just make things a hassle. This is supposed to be fun. Turning it into organization, doing meetings, maintaining records, member advancement... this starts to sound like a job. So, unless there is really someone that wants to run a guild and be an umbrella and try to organize all of us and will do the WORK... I suggest giving that idea up.

Talking about how we will do GUILDS… what they will be called… who can be in them… oh man, that is not even getting a teacup built for UCC.

If you want to build a Guild of Fine Arts and Ace wants to do that and Tweek wants to help, I’m for it. If someone has a problem with that, they do not need to join. But, don’t fuss with Ace or Tweek. If you want to help them volunteer, I did.

I like the GoC. Members were doing all sorts of things and other than the Greeters was for a time one of the busier guilds. Oddly our maps were more art than science. The best maps were made by good artists. Pa’trick, then Grand Master got started doing paintings of and cataloging plants, animals, and stuff in the Cavern and ages. The Guild was involved in most everything people were doing in the Cavern. Not because we tried to be, we just offered help to those that wanted to do something. So, we may have been turning into an umbrella (shudders). But, it was about service to the community not being a guild.

With the GoW and GoMa leading the way with UCC many of the active members have moved to those guilds. Hooray! There is stuff there to do. I see their stuff as having to happen before I have anything to map. So, I see interest in GoC as something that comes later in the process. (Don't let that stop you from joining the GoC now Join II LINK )

Trying to figure all this out now and debate it now… I suggest we go for constructive criticism and let fans do whatever they want… If you want to complain, go read this thread: LINK

Otherwise: What have you done today to help out?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm in to explore the guild and whatever kind of future it brings. Won't know if I don't try it out. :)

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
Yes I mean that logo, and no it hasn't.

Tweek wrote:
From what I can gather, the Surveyors symbol was originally the Cartographers symbol, but Cyan changed it to be closer to the current Cartographers symbol.

Natales wrote:
Tweek is right about the GoC symbol and I know more than I can say...

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Aitrus' map and diary have that symbol, and he's a Surveyor; Minkata has that symbol, and it's a Surveyor Age; and we know that screenshot for the "coming soon" was taken before Reteltee convinced Cate to swap Surveyors' for Cartographers, so why would it have the GoC symbol in it?

Now if you tell me the D'ni GoC was originally a subdivision of the GoS and then retconned to Major guild that's one thing, but there's no way that symbol can be the GoC symbol and not the GoS symbol, unless Cyan made a blunder with that map in 1996 and decided to play along with it for over 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry to dredge this up rather than posting on the GoFA forum, but I didn't want to register for a one-off post and potentially never be back (I already did that on GoMa's forum ;)... I kid!)...

There's been some conversation over at DPWR about how storytellers will be worked into the Guild structure, and how the GoA will play into that. I'm inclined to say that the GoA will provide assistance with story development insofar as it pertains to compliance and reference, but that storytellers ought to gravitate to the GoFA for actual story development and planning. Tweek, since you seem somewhat in charge, I'd like to invite you, and anyone else from the GoFA who is interested in this discussion, to chime in with your thoughts at DPWR (or here, or wherever... just make sure I know where you're posting ;)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
Sorry to dredge this up rather than posting on the GoFA forum, but I didn't want to register for a one-off post and potentially never be back (I already did that on GoMa's forum ;)... I kid!)...

Well... Pfffttt!! :P See if I give you the pretty Archivist Green. .... oh I already did. /doh!

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next