It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Is there any other game which have live-events? celebration (as shown in SC link) are everywhere,but as much as I know there are no story events in other MMOs (like arthes,or whatever his name is,showing up and giving a scary speech or something).Anyone knows if there are any?

Just think of how good can MOUL be with live-story-events done better... :D

No, and there shouldn't be. An online game is meant to cater to all of its players and having something happen that's part of the game that will never occur again is a sure way to lose a pile of subscribers. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:23 pm 

Well,along with a big,fat,good journey it worked fine in prologue.Enough "for everyone" story,enough "only once" story,fun for all of the players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Having more Yeesha content, for example, requires paying actress Rengin Altay to continue her role in Uru. Things like this, which increase any cost under an anemic budget, are the reason it doesn't happen. I thought this was glaringly obvious during MOUL, but many seemed to not understand why more Yeesha audio and video were not produced to put more depth into the story. Getting Rand, RAWA or Chogon (or other competent Cyan typist) to log in twice as Yeesha over the year was far, far cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 pm 

Well,maybe,if/when cyan worlds will get more resources,they can gather ideas for every journey for about half a year,make the speeches (bahro caves and more if needed) and than Rengin would come ,do her role of yeesha (do every speech),get paid,Rangin got money,we got higher quality content,cyan worlds got happy players.

Can it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:28 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Well,along with a big,fat,good journey it worked fine in prologue.Enough "for everyone" story,enough "only once" story,fun for all of the players.

But Yeesha's journey is repeatable for each new player. :) If only the people that happened to be logged in on a certain day were able to access it that would be not only a disservice to the rest of the subscribers but an awful waste of superb content on Cyan's part. ;) And as for Yeesha, I honestly have no problem with reading what she has to say if it means she gets to speak more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:15 am 

What I mean is that if cyan worlds will give us enough things to do in the journeys (repeatable,as always),I guess live events can work better in MOUL.You missed a live events? never mind,you got a big journey (more like an age,part of journey) to start/continue with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:24 am 

That would depend on what you play Uru for. The live events or the content. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with missing their live events for more content as some would prefer one to the other. There's never going to be pleasing everyone because of the obvious timezome restrictions, but I'd think now that GameTap's grasp is gone, there'd be a lot more leniance to when and at what times the appearances occur. ;)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 am 

Overall,I think prologue formula was the best.They gave us many live events (few in a day,though if the events return I think there should be few "events" everyday),few were orgenized (such as DRC Q&A),and the story was told very well (they let us find out about the story,things weren't mixed up so much,people actually acted like humans and not information giving robots.).

Maybe,as I said before,we can have an in-game video,which will show what happend last month in MOUL (with narrating),and you get an archive of those last month events to see (without narrating,just videos of the event).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am 

It would take a very long time, if ever for Cyan to ever be able to match their amount of Live events they had in Prologue. In Prologue Cyan had on average 150 people. They now have 10. :? In MORE, Chogon has said that they will be continuing the storyline in MORE yet I highly doubt it will be as much or as frequently as MOUL's yet it may happen and one day get back to a reasonable point.

I've said it before but: The MOUL we know is gone (for now) and I think its going to come as quite a shock to some people. There will be upsides and downsides to MORE and if we play it right we can one day get it back - for now though we'll be making do with what we have. Getting a continued storyline at all is great - let's make the most of that at least for now.

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 am 

As you know doubt have realised, I'm not in favour of episodes :P

Now, events such as Q&A are different but suffer from the same inherent problem with having thing happen at specific time - they are at specific times so that everyone can 'experience' them, and everyone does, all at once, simultaneously. The other problem is that everyone shouts questions at once, or, even if there is a moderator, half of the text is people requesting they add a question, people saying hi, people arguing about who goes first, clowns just saying any rubbish, even people apologising(!), etc, etc

One way to have a limited number of people present - the rest can watch the event on imagers throught the city (like you would in real life) - may the KI could be rewritten to include an "event-viewer". Each event would have a list of questions (which could be edited by the moderator) given to the guest or presenter before hand - which could then be gone through one by one - bit like a press-conference.

The problem with ad-hoc questions is that it will always (to a greater or lesser extent) turn into a verbal (or, should I say textual) scrimmage, like I said above.

If people disagree with some systme like this on the gorunds they might not experience it, hey, even if you are there, ther's nothing to experience except chaos! Unfortunte that you missed something, but there you go. It's somwhat akin to listening to a record and deciding you don't like it because you weren't standing in the studio in front of the artist to experience the making of that record.

:oops: apologies to all, that came over a big strong - but I stand by the underlying message

Now if you had a live event (I mean the type like Yeehsa making a speech, rather than parties) which everyone is entitled to experience firsthand wherever they are in the word, then Yeesha would have to make at least 24 spontaneous unexpected visitations in that day (ok the number might be different) - which might be construed as being a tad silly. Point is, spontaneous appearances like that are one-offs, and should not be repeated because some people missed it - it happens once, then word gets around to every one, then when it happens again, it's not spontaneous, its contrived.

One solution would be for any such event to happen once, but once on each of several servers running at different times ie. a server in the states running a few hours in advance (or behind) one in europe, which runs a few hours later than another , etc around the world. People would

1. be only ever be able to login into the server in their time zone.
2. log into any server, but then this needs to incorporate the concept of Linking through Time rather than space (although it has been mooted in other forums that time or time flow differes betwee Ages) buthis would be limited to goin back at most a day (going forward would mean perchance skipping thevents since they would already have happened (ow head pain!)

Everyone would then be able to experience everything that happens - the different servers would necessarily be playing the same story one after the other, but people going back could do different things - would the storyarc be able to contain all of these different threads :shock:

Apologies, I've been rambling again :D

She's quite, quite mad, you know (sadly shaking head)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 am 

Not everyone will be in the live event.This is the thing of live events.You want to see what you missed? well,as I said,cyan worlds can add an in-game video archive of every live event last month,and MOUL "last month news" with narration.

People may be disappointed when they are not in a live event,but think about those who are.This is really interesting and fun for them.So yes,peopel may be disappointed,but if cyan worlds will give us a big journey age every month,new content and a vive events video archive of some kind,maybe they can be less diappointed,and realize that live events aren't everything in the game (unlike the last MOUL run when they were).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:10 am 

sarabonny wrote:
Now if you had a live event (I mean the type like Yeehsa making a speech, rather than parties) which everyone is entitled to experience firsthand wherever they are in the word, then Yeesha would have to make at least 24 spontaneous unexpected visitations in that day (ok the number might be different) - which might be construed as being a tad silly. Point is, spontaneous appearances like that are one-offs, and should not be repeated because some people missed it - it happens once, then word gets around to every one, then when it happens again, it's not spontaneous, its contrived.

Another possible solution for this would be to have an NPC Yeesha make her speech in people's private ages. Their entering the age would trigger the NPC appearance and you would not only get spontanious, you would also get personal. No complaints of anyone missing the speech. What would make it even more fun would be to have the appearance a random one. Not only random ages but random locations in the age. This would give such a wide variety to the appearance that it won't be spoiled when someone jumps on the forum and says - I saw Yeesha in Teledahn by Sharper's desk! - because someone else may see her by the waterfall in Eder Gira. Talk about a chance to send people off exploring. 8) :wink: :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:31 am 

The stranger wrote:
Not everyone will be in the live event.This is the thing of live events.You want to see what you missed? well,as I said,cyan worlds can add an in-game video archive of every live event last month,and MOUL "last month news" with narration.

People may be disappointed when they are not in a live event,but think about those who are.This is really interesting and fun for them.So yes,peopel may be disappointed,but if cyan worlds will give us a big journey age every month,new content and a vive events video archive of some kind,maybe they can be less diappointed,and realize that live events aren't everything in the game (unlike the last MOUL run when they were).

I doubt Cyan will be able to give us any ages for a long time, and probably never one a month. And if the game were to attract as many players as you seem to want it to they wouldn't stay long with this type of live event. Even if Uru had 10,000 subscribers instead of 10 million they wouldn't stick around long when they found out an important part of the game happened once and only for 50-100 viewers. ;) I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. I personally thought, "What's the point?" during quite a few of the live events last year even though I'm a big fan of Cyan and the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 am 

Quote:
I doubt Cyan will be able to give us any ages for a long time

I'll say it again: I don't expact cyan worlds to do that any time soon.I hope they will do that IF the game will be popular,but that souldn't be soon.

Quote:
and probably never one a month

You never know...

Quote:
And if the game were to attract as many players as you seem to want it to they wouldn't stay long with this type of live event.

Is there any other type of live events? The idea of live event is being able to interact with the character,talk to the character,do things with it,because it's a real person.

Quote:
Even if Uru had 10,000 subscribers instead of 10 million they wouldn't stick around long when they found out an important part of the game happened once and only for 50-100 viewers.

That's the problem."The important part" thing need to change.If they will give us good content,players can say (most likely) "I missed some live events.Oh well,at least I got a big age and new content keep coming!".

Beside,it's no longer episodes,if there will be more live events,4-5 in a day,even just a DRC coming to mess around and talk,more people should see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 am 

I'd be cool with missing live events but only if chatlogs could be accessed in-game so you wouldn't have to leave the game to see what has happened.

An even better idea would be for players to recieve videos of live events (in-game) and watch the live events themselves to see what they did or didn't miss. If there ever are any in-game chatlogs or videos, I would like to be able to keep and collect them. It's always fun to see what a game and its storyline was like a long time ago and how it has evolved since then.

Of course we probably won't have to worry about major plot advancement for a while, but it can't hurt to have hopes for the future.

The path to success is long, but we are already walking it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next