It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Genesis Plan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:23 pm 

Greetings and Shorah all,

This post is to clarify some of the issues people had in understanding just what Genesis is as an Age.
The Age is going to be nothing more than a very pretty, very fun age for visitors (especially new players) to visit - it will contain whatever YOU choose to put in it, along with a mention of the Guilds involved with the project.

Yes, it is very similar to the Showcase Age. However, the Showcase Age had a few problems in it's planning. Those, I feel, we can sort out - they did not have any drive to continue far beyond planning stages. I feel that will enough drive behind it, we could save the idea from floundering. And so, every week I will release polls, news articles, and perhaps graphic images of a Genesis journal to keep the flow going and to keep people informed.

So, what do we need from you?

From average explorers who are fascinated with Myst and Uru we need just that - your fascination: What drew you to Uru? What would you like to see in an Age? If you were to make an Age what would it be like?

I can make no promises that your idea will be used in the very end product however we will try to balance all ideas and implement as many as we can - in the Naming Poll, for example, Genesis has now been given a D'ni name AND a symbol to represent it as was suggested by the interested explorers in the Poll.

From the Guilds - again, your interest and your expertise.
The Guild of Messengers are good at keeping people in touch with the news - I will do what I can to help them but their advice and help has proven invaluable so far and I am sure that their continued interest in this project will help it get the interest and public involvement it needs.

The Guild of Writers are experienced in making ages - we would not ask people to drop their ages and come running to this project but their interest and advice would help the project along to a better, stronger result.

The Guild of Maintainers have been very helpful with technical advice, and I am sure that their advice on technical issues, programming glitches, and other technological facets that will come to pass as the Age takes shape will help it to come out glitch free and user-friendly!

The Guild of Archivers - have already been very helpful and I would like to thank them for the help they have given so far - from them all the information on the history of Uru and Myst can be summed up, wrapped up, and given to new players in a pretty series of short stories to get them trully involved and up-to-date.

The Guild of Cartographers have been very enthusiastic and helpful, and from them maps for the Age of Genesis will be drawn up once the structures have been thought up by the artists in this community.

Finally the Guild of Greeters - they would know, most importantly, about the drive it takes to draw new people into Uru - what would interest Newbies and get them started in this strange new world. They have, unfortunately, suffered a great loss and our hearts go out to them. I have yet to hear from them but again I feel that their help will be invaluable in helping out new players by giving them a spectacular new age to explore.

So, to summarize - This is an Age that will be built upon the dreams of you, the explorers. We will liason with the Guilds to see just how willing their members and Guildmasters are to help. We will compile all of your ideas into a journal and use that journal to build an Age, keeping you constantly updated about the progress of the Age - No Closed Doors, No secrecy. We would gladly accept the help of any who have the time, the advice of any who don't, and the criticisms of any who have TOO MUCH spare time. :lol:

Thank you for your Time,
Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:54 am 

When I hear "showcase age" I imagine an art gallery of some kind - rooms or spaces with 2d planar surfaces in a variety of dimensions on which image textures can be mapped - 2d artworks by the community.

Each room would also have an audio source looping - a musical piece from a community artist.

The audio and image files could be replaced with new ones on a weekly or monthly basis - the best new art of the Uru community would be displayed there.

In addition to the smaller areas, there would also be a large open area, auditorium, garden, or some other kind of community space. This would be conducive to parties, discussions, meetings, announcements, performances, or whatever the Uru community wants to do there.

Perhaps in this area or one of the others would be a platform upon which a 3d object could be placed - allowing GoW artists to make small, high-quality 3d sculptures that could be displayed and replaced once in a while with new ones.

Beyond that, the goal would be to make the whole place beautiful and highly detailed. Not too big, just big enough to contain the described spaces - several small ones and one large one.

Maybe also some sort of multiplayer minigame would be available there. I don't know what that would be though. One of the more eccentric concepts that popped into my head would be using kickable small objects as pieces in a board game - something along the lines of a chess/checkers board or something, in a low space so that it's less likely that people will try to kick the pieces out into the garden/open area or the gallery spaces.

However, there are many things that could be done as minigames. I just mentioned that one because it is a simple one to implement.

There could be a swimming area, that would be easy to make, too. I wonder if it's possible to make moveable floating objects? Like kickables, but on water? Just a thought.

Then there'd be the programming-intensive games, somebody could make a good interactive minigame, possibly.

There doesn't have to be any minigame, though, it's just a thought about how to make the age fun - and replayable.

Genesis could be about the same size and attention to detail as Eder Delin, though in a completely new visual style.

What that visual design would be I haven't thought about yet but I might scribble a few sample concepts down just to get the ball rolling.

I hope you guys will also start drawing concepts and maps and possible layouts, and we'll see what ideas and components stick - plants from one artist, a spatial layout from another, a sky and horizon from a third, an architectural design, etc.

Blending the best of everyone's contributions is fitting for the design of a community project - as is integrating spaces where community members can place their art and music.

The gallery concept makes Genesis a dynamic, changing age, not a static one - and while that's a lot of work, it also gives the age a degree of longevity; it will keep people coming back to Genesis repeatedly to see if anything has changed - or perhaps, to see it once more the way it is before it changes again.

Whoever is the curator of the Genesis Showcase, or Genesis Gallery, or whatever it is - could also bring back old art, music, sculpture, or whatever - from time to time when there is popular demand for a particularly great piece to reappear there.

Or maybe rotating through old art would just be a nice way to deal with any empty spaces where nobody submitted anything for display.

The gallery would be a second tier of the stated goal of the age - to showcase the talent of the Uru community. Both the design of the age itself, and the streams of new content within it, would make a statement that we are capable of the extraordinary, the beautiful, the sublime.

Does anyone else like the idea of an art/music gallery in Genesis?

I'll post some concept art for it at some point. I'd like to hear your ideas too.

BTW, when we have agreed on a design, I volunteer to help Shevek with the modelling and texturing. Not much of it, but I could do a little of it at least. I'm committed to a load of other stuff but I'd like to help in some way.

It'd also be good to have areas showcasing all of the Guilds as well; Shevek has discussed the idea elsewhere.

I'm not sure in what way, however, but something ought to be present that represents the guilds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:35 am 

the idea of an age where you can (if I read into the article correctly) test the waters before jumping in sounds great, with a representative from the various guilds one can learn what each one specializes in and perhaps encourage more interest in joining one or more; although as far as making it glitch free and user friendly perhaps you can make the glitches user friendly.

One of the things I used to enjoy in the Caverns is finding out about the many glitches, like tightrope walking to the top of the tent (or trying to) Dancing on air above the water near the library, or falling into a hole up side the tree to see if I am gonna link out or just end up in the middle of the tree run around and do it all again, To correct a mistake like a glitch in an age is one thing but to work it into the artwork of an age, hmmmmm sounds more interesting I think.

Maps are wonderfully I have often said I get lost going to the rest room, and although I did try my hand at map making, after seeing the stuff that the GOC was producing I was rather emberest, and decided to try and steer my artistic talents in other more familiar directions.

History is always a very important part of any Community, it tells you about the people that once where the people that are and sometimes the people that might be. Some people enjoy reading some enjoy puzzles and some just the game or the environment, I have always thought to be a success its important to have a little something for everyone.

The one thing I really enjoyed about Uru Live is the Friendly nature that seems to stem from the GOG, any newbie or perhaps not so newbie who needed help could always count on the GOG and their site for any help or assistance or sometimes just some one to chat with.

all these Ideas are really feeding my instable curiosity But it seems Uru live will be riding quite a bit more on the creativity of the of the community more so then ever before, we have a chance to make this ground breaking stuff so successful that people will no longer be able to push it aside as just a game,

May the stuff of creativity be with us once again,
Helping the community around every technical bend.
Becoming more then it has ever been before.
Bringing a dream of what it was always meant to be
Beyond the dream and in our reality.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am 

Greetings and Shorah, guys!

First off, thanks for your input - we should get the ball rolling with sketches pretty soon now.
As for the Age Plan.

There have been a few rumors thrown around that MORE will be coming out for Christmas. I have no idea whether these rumors are true or not, but they are the best guess at a time for release that we have been given. And so, for the Genesis Age, there will be a deadline: Christmas.

All the designs, sketches, models, and programming plans must be laid down by Christmas. That is three months away and more than enough time. The actual programming cannot, of course, proceed until the 3DSMax plugins are released, however they are going to work. But we should have at least all the visual and stylistic groundwork done by then.

Polls will be released weekly, even if they are Pick building design A or B polls - this will keep even non-creators involved and interested in the project's progress.

We will also have fully written and "published" monthly updates as to our progress, to ensure we don't get lazy or complacent.

None of our work will go on behind any closed doors - no private forums, or secretive meetings in the bowels of some Guild's sub-forums. I would like this age to be as public as possible - to get reactions and to see what EVERYONE would like to see in this age.

I am well aware that we cannot make everyone happy. However, having their input, good or bad, is better than having no input at all.

I think that that covers everything so far. No, we don't have any visual concept of what the age will look like yet - but we are getting a good idea as to how it will work. If there are any more questions or advice, don't hesitate to put them down here. :D

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:52 am 

Shorah,

This subject/thread has been added to the List, Section # 12, User Created Content

List: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=269070#269070

aka: Messenger Nanouk_Metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am 

Ahem, Shorah all!

Okay, this is just here to recap and I think it should be used to summarise other topics on Genesis, and other opinions on it that are springing up. First off, what we know about Genesis:

1. It is called Genesis but has the symbol of Aleph to represent it, and a D'ni name that will be used to add a bit of D'ni style to objects in the Age.

2. Most people liked the idea of a library showcasing Writer's works, and a gallery of images as well.

3. The Guilds already have a lot to represent them, but they should be represented in a small way in Genesis - a small room each, perhaps, with a book in the center of the room detailing their history, objectives, and so on.

4. Most people liked Riven's puzzles the best - though they were NOT cut and dried puzzles - something more subtle would work better, with perhaps some sort of group puzzles to aid in the sense of community.

5. Most people preferred the idea of smaller groups - a more personal "Exploring with my friends" feel - this means medium rooms with high ceilings and enough room for groups of up to, say, ten, to move around in.

6. So far most people liked the Garden Ages the most - calm atmospheres, nice layout, and separate parts to explore.

What else do we know? Well, I have set up a blog about Genesis and Ages I have found - a rough replacement for a website that is taking its time in coming up (To be honest, I have outsourced for that - a user called Keppit is building it when he can, but as university starts up soon, he may be a little while)

http://ageofgenesis.blogspot.com/

The guild of Messengers and the Guild of Cartographers have been very friendly and helpful, though I am still waiting to hear from the Guild of Greeters, which I thought was odd. I've been referencing the Guild of Archivists, and been reading all the back issues of the Archivist. As soon as all the Guilds are ready I'll ask them to stamp an approval form for the Age of Genesis - I can't include them in the Age without their active consent.What else? Well, since the polls are getting popular, and since the "concept" for the Age is almost complete I think that we'll be moving onto design work, just as soon as the Guild Of Writers finishes up their inner-circle organising and gives this age the go-ahead.

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:41 am 
Obduction Backer

I used to be a member of the GoG. I guess I still am since they don't seem to have a system in place to "retire" members. I will go ask around in the GoG members forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 pm 

Greetings and Shorah, Explorers.

Genesis is about to get a kick it up a gear pretty soon, and here is why:

For the past month questions have been put out about HOW Genesis will work - basic content.
What we have decided is:
-It is called Genesis
-It should have a library and gallery
-It should represent the Guilds in a small way
-It should have Riven-like Puzzles
-It should be aimed at small-ish groups
-It should be influenced mainly by The Eder Garden Ages and Tomanha
p-It should have secret areas outside of the main area with puzzles for players...

So, a garden age with natural, hidden and complex puzzles that is a great place to meet friends, to represent the Guilds, to introduce new players and hass a library and gallery...good enough.

So, the idea proposed is this:

The scene opens up on a courtyard, with trees lining it, flowers and grass, benches, and platforms. A big place, grand, and good for holding large groups of people. Branching off of it are walkways (paths/tunnels) to smaller enclosures that house information about various Guilds... kind of an area for new people to learn about each Guild. There are also, around the areas:
Something that will draw in the curious: A strange sound, a dark cave, or (to steal from a book called "spacenapped") a hedge maze. In the middle of this maze the singe explorer is dropped into a series of hidden caverns and tunnles, filled with puzzles and clues that culminate in an exciting rollercoaster that shows off the age.
-A solo adventure in its own right.

Else where is a larger room, perhaps a tower of sort, which has panels on the floor that must be stood on by at least...five people. One all five are on...the panels give way and again, puzzles, tunnles, and devices galore as the TEAM has to find their way out. The group adventure culminates with the unlocking of a group-based area such a large underground swimming pool or other fun group area.
-A group adventure hidden within the Age.

Now, this is by no means set in stone - this is a layout we found worked and wanted to suggest:
Do YOU think it will work?
Yes?
No?
What are YOUR thoughts on it?
What are YOUR suggestions?

Next week visual design work will begin on Genesis - what it will look like, what sort of gardens we have, what color the sky will be, waht sort of architecture, and everything else. Stay tuned!

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30 pm 

Greetings and Shorah, Explorers.

Genesis is about to get a kick it up a gear pretty soon, and here is why:

For the past month questions have been put out about HOW Genesis will work - basic content.
What we have decided is:
-It is called Genesis
-It should have a library and gallery
-It should represent the Guilds in a small way
-It should have Riven-like Puzzles
-It should be aimed at small-ish groups
-It should be influenced mainly by The Eder Garden Ages and Tomanha
p-It should have secret areas outside of the main area with puzzles for players...

So, a garden age with natural, hidden and complex puzzles that is a great place to meet friends, to represent the Guilds, to introduce new players and hass a library and gallery...good enough.

So, the idea proposed is this:

The scene opens up on a courtyard, with trees lining it, flowers and grass, benches, and platforms. A big place, grand, and good for holding large groups of people. Branching off of it are walkways (paths/tunnels) to smaller enclosures that house information about various Guilds... kind of an area for new people to learn about each Guild. There are also, around the areas:
Something that will draw in the curious: A strange sound, a dark cave, or (to steal from a book called "spacenapped") a hedge maze. In the middle of this maze the singe explorer is dropped into a series of hidden caverns and tunnles, filled with puzzles and clues that culminate in an exciting rollercoaster that shows off the age.
-A solo adventure in its own right.

Else where is a larger room, perhaps a tower of sort, which has panels on the floor that must be stood on by at least...five people. One all five are on...the panels give way and again, puzzles, tunnles, and devices galore as the TEAM has to find their way out. The group adventure culminates with the unlocking of a group-based area such a large underground swimming pool or other fun group area.
-A group adventure hidden within the Age.

Now, this is by no means set in stone - this is a layout we found worked and wanted to suggest:
Do YOU think it will work?
Yes?
No?
What are YOUR thoughts on it?
What are YOUR suggestions?

Next week visual design work will begin on Genesis - what it will look like, what sort of gardens we have, what color the sky will be, waht sort of architecture, and everything else. Stay tuned!

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 am 

Double Post....wireless internet...hooray!

Last edited by Shevek on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:31 am 

Greetings and Shorah, all

Everyone knows that ideas are easier to understand with illustrations, so here we are! IMAGES!
Anyway, please keep in mind that these images are in no way representative of the final look, style, or design of the Age of Genesis. This is, in fact, just a planned layout for items and events:

Welcome to Genesis, the Age opens on a courtyard, large enough for big groups to stand around and chat, or sit on the benches lining the courtyard an admire the view. Here a ball or two (perhaps some cones) are left for idle kick-abouts while people meet and gather here.

So let's pull it back a bit, to see WHERE we are in the picture of things...
Here we can see the courtyard clearly and the paths leading off of it - to other enclosures, the Guild Gardens. In each are books, artworks, and other examples of their fine works.

So lets pull it back EVEN MORE:
Here we can see the entire Age, more or less...Gardens and walkways, all contained within a huge canyon...

Here, a vectorised diagram of the age...you can see that there are two different places for two different "adventures" to begin. With these adventures, players can begin to explore the under-bowels of the age. A single explorer could easily find the maze, work out the way to the middle, and be dropped into a vast network of tunnels and underground water-ways. With the group adventurers, it would require at least five people to stand on certain spots in a room, say at the top of the look out tower, to begin the adventure.

Obligatory tower top view. Players can come up here to look out on the gardens. (Admire the work)

A single adventurer would be rewarded with the (now famous) roller-coaster ride.
This could run all over the place, around the rim of the canyon, out to the sea surrounding it, and through underground water falls. Best for only one player, though, as more than one could cause programming issues. (IT is also more of a private fun experience.)

Group adventurers would be rewarded with this:
An underground cave to swim around in, with ruins of an "ancient" civilization, diving boards, jumping platforms, and other fun ideas (to be suggested by YOU!) - essentially a group reward; a nice, cool place to hang out in - only available to those who completed the Age. :P

Well, again, this is all just concepts - nothing final, but the layout seems sound:
What is YOUR opinion on it all?

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:10 am 

Shorah all

Got a nice little suggestion handed to me in the park today - was discussing the age ideas and got this:
>"How about, instead of a stupid shirt or hat you give them something better for completing the age?"
"Well, we've already got the rollercoaster, most people like that..."
>"Nah, I'm talking something MUCH better: Immortality, man!"
"Oh-kay, sure, we just hand over the elixir of life so their avatar stays forever young, yeah?"
>"No, I mean you put them into the age. Isn't it said that as long as a man's name is spoken he will never die? Immortality, man! As long as the Age is remembered, those that played it are remembered."
"So what, we have...what, a code at the end?"
>"Yeah, those that finished can contact you through KI or something. Tell you a secret code they see and you put their name on a wall or something in the garden."
"You mean a high-scores board?"
>"Well, yeah, but make it look all cool and mystical. I dunno, engrave it on some sort of magic stone or something. Or put it, yeah put it on a tree! In the middle of a garden is this great tree, right? Write their names on the tree!"

Too much caffeine makes people act a little odd, I gotta say. That and playing smash brothers for too long will make a group rather schitzoidal, but he may have had a point.
I'm a little wary of the concept, though. We have Genesis, the Garden...if we put the tree in as well we might be verging too close on the religious aspect here - and carving your names into the tree of life is sure to liquid more than a few catholics off! ;)

Any other ideas of a similar flavor?

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:29 am 

Not sure if it is a good idea.

If MORE become as big a success as we hope, I hardly can
imagine a few hundred thousands names.

Do not forget that we will have a possibility of 5 avatars per account.

One possible solution would be to create a very unique "object"
so that players would be able to get a picture of themselves
standing by that object. You might need a camera trick for
a good enough angle, KI or screenshot.

Higth quality image = need super lighting and high resolution
for that spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:55 am 

I am not good on big ideas and probably won't be able to contribute regarding concept and layout. But I can give you my opinion.

I like this concept. It makes one want to explore. I like the big circle in the middle with the seats, like a communtiy chill out place, maybe more seats in the middle, for the more closeness. I like the separate Guild gardens. It is sort of separate but together, if you can understand that. :D There seems so much to do together or alone. I like it very much. Top stuff in my book.

Szark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

The layout for everything seems too structured to me. I would rather our "garden" be a natural and wild place, and the layout of the age should flow with the contours of the age. Areas like the link in spot and the guild gardens should be more structured and well kept to show "this is what us humans did" but once people delve into the exploration it should be wild and unkempt...sort of off the beaten path.

I imagine it like one of those wildlife preserves we have here in the US (I assume they are in other countries too) where there are paths, and man made gardens, but if you step of the path, it is pretty much untouched. The key here is that we allow the explorers to step off the path.

Really if you think about it, if one of us was to write and age in real life, it would be a wild place, like an untamed jungle. After that, we would go in and build some buildings and create paths. Outside of that area we messed with would still be untouched.

I really think having both exploration areas (solo/group) take place in this untouched area would be best. I know for me I always wanted to hop over the DRC's barriers and explore the "unsafe" area of the ages. I'm pretty sure a lot of us wanted the same thing, and we should give that to them.

Design the first puzzles for each adventure to be finding a hole in the fence (more or less) and from there they could see how the age really is. Maybe show where a new pavilion is being built, but not open to the public yet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next