It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 am 

Why we don't see all of the features in:

PyPRP:
Blender has a devilish interface to deal with. Python in sometimes not suited to various PRP stuff (although this is rarely a limit it only poses certain things that slow development).

Other tools:
We can't write the software overnight.

I do not doubt your skill as a programmer but knowing how to write software well does not make you immediately privy to the innermost workings of Plasma. It's not like if you're a good key-grinder you can make a key for a lock you don't have the key to or don't have.

Granted, we do have info of that's not being shared but that was Cyan's choice (they told us not to share it).

Note: Edited post for clarity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Granted, we do have info of that's not being shared but that was Cyan's choice (they told us not to share it).

What kind of info ? Weird, I though all us explorers where equals ? Anyone outside a guild should have the same right to info / tools / whatever than someone in a guild. I faill to see why some stuff would be ok for the guild of writer to have, and not for the others ?

Quote:
I do not doubt your skill as a programmer but knowing how to write software well does not make you immediately privy to the innermost workings of Plasma.

And ? everyone can learn right ?

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:34 pm 

EowynCarter wrote:
Quote:

What kind of info ? Weird, I though all us explorers where equals ? Anyone outside a guild should have the same right to info / tools / whatever than someone in a guild. I faill to see why some stuff would be ok for the guild of writer to have, and not for the others ?

Quote:
I do not doubt your skill as a programmer but knowing how to write software well does not make you immediately privy to the innermost workings of Plasma.

And ? everyone can learn right ?

Everyone should have the right to the same info. I agree entirely. The information was not given to us by Cyan, it was not a gift, it is not something that most people would find useful; but I agree that it should be available to everyone.

The information in question, is the documentation of Plasma's internal classes; which is currently done privately by a group of 3-5 people. Back in UU, we kept all of this information on a wiki, where people could use it for their own tools, point out errors, and contribute to a repository of knowledge.

We were asked by Cyan in 2006 to not post any information publicly. Since that time, all of our documentation has been done privately, and people who want to write tools often have to figure it out for themselves because we aren't allowed to post the documentation anywhere.

I know that this information would be useful to people who want to improve the PyPRP plugin, who want to write tools, and who want to understand how things work; however, all of our emails to Cyan's legal team have been ignored, and we are still not allowed to post documentation publicly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

When the code is outlawed, only the outlaws will have the code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:16 am 
Obduction Backer

When a topic is exhausted, only the exhausted will post in the topic.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:22 am 
Obduction Backer

You rang? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Ok, makes more sence if the info wasn't supposed to come out in the first time. Would be weird for Cyan to trust only part of the comunity with info.

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:52 am 

EowynCarter wrote:
Ok, makes more sence if the info wasn't supposed to come out in the first time. Would be weird for Cyan to trust only part of the comunity with info.

Right.

It's not really a matter of the GoW knowing this info... it's a matter of a few people (dare I say h*ckers) knowing this info. For my part any old GoW member has the same chance of getting some specifics about the engine if they asked me as any old member of the Uru community. 1/57 of the GoW are the people who are privy to this info. The info is known mostly by those who helped figure it out and pooled their efforts.

I would not call a group of friends knowing something that others do not elitist. It's not like we've done something magical... you have the power to get the data out yourself if you feel so inclined. :D

But I'm making it sound like we want to keep this info in. I'm not selfish (don't think most of the other people who know this stuff are either), and want to have others use it to write plugins etc. it's just that there's the problem mentioned above (Cyan not wanting us to share it).

Cyan/Mods: I know you're trying hard to resist the urge to lock this thread. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:34 pm 

Lontahv wrote:
Cyan/Mods: I know you're trying hard to resist the urge to lock this thread. Thanks. :)

NO!!!!!

*hugs his thread* :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol:

But seriously, I think it's really good that this topic has gone on for this long. It's good that discussing this stuff at a time like this is happening :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

IMHO these days we don't have much to do beside discussing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:13 pm 

You're entitled to your humble opinion, as we all are of course :wink: IMHO there is still enough to do, if you are interested enough en not frightened to dab into Blender and/or PyPRP a bit, or join any of the other communities (Guilds). I certainly don't find myself bored... however you are quite right in one way, in THIS forum I don't see much more than talk... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Some of us are more interested in playing Uru - that's what we want to do. I'm not into the other stuff. And we also like to talk - well, I lknow I do!

So yes, from my perpsective - there is not much to do, and talking is good. I find this discussion to be very interesting.

Last edited by mszv on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:46 pm 

/me reads with interest and goes back to work on helping as one can, in the community and in research of the D'ni history.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 pm 

mszv wrote:
Some of us are more interested in playing Uru - that's what we want to do. I'm not into the other stuff. And we also like to talk - well, I lknow I do!

I know you do too :P

Anyway, without people wanting to dabble in code or be active in the community in some form (other than JUST talking - though that is good too, nothing against that!), there won't be people who will be able to play. So, to have both groups of people is a win-win situation on all accounts :) I like discussing as much as the next person, but I like it even better when I see some results too :wink: But who knows what may happen still!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:18 am 

Sophia wrote:
I like discussing as much as the next person, but I like it even better when I see some results too :wink:

A huge ditto to that :P I love it when that happens. It really gives me a sense of involvement in the community, like we really are making a difference.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next