It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I have suggested to more than one person that if they really want to do something constructive to bring Uru back, then they should organize members of the community who can actually make it happen and then write a serious proposal to Cyan outlining an offer to do so. Only one person has chosen to take on this monumental task: Jamey has started a thread on the Guild of Writers forum. When I saw the replies he was getting, I told him that this idea might not be feasible after all as it seems that many of the members who could make this happen seemed to have given up and moved on. His reply: "If I don't, who will?"

So, here we are asking for volunteers who can make this happen and assist in writing this proposal.

Note to the naysayers: it’s not going to hurt Cyan for us to discuss this and we realize that they may even be back on their feet and offering us MORE before we even finish writing it, but to us, that’s a win/win situation. We get Uru either way and have found a way to pass the time constructively. So… This is not open to discussion about whether or not we should do this, only HOW we can do this. If you don’t have something positive to offer, then please don’t post here. I will ask the moderators to assist us in keeping this thread tidy.

I’ll ask Jamey to post right after me with a list of positions he thinks we need. If you can help with one, please post here, IM one of us, or take the idea to your respective guild for discussion. Example: we need someone who can communicate with Cyan and reasonably expect a response so I’ve started a thread on the Guild of Messengers requesting assistance with that and ask that they post here when they have something to report.

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation and assistance in this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm 

Here are some of the positions I think we need to fill before making this proposal to Cyan:

Server Maintainers

Client System Managers

Promoters of the project

Age Writers

Concept designers for how things will be able to be run

UU server Experts

Someone to communicate efficiently with Cyan

Post a reply if you can assist with one or more of these or can think of others we need. I will edit this post with additions and changes.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

There is no job listing for my ability to contribute in this matter. As BAD, moderator over the the Guild of Writers, will tell you, albeit in different words, I'm a better idea man for you than an implementer. In a related matter, I saw Jamey's post at the GoW. I'm glad to see it here because I have lost faith in the GoW as a forum for progressive and constructive discussions about something like this. As a matter of experience, you'll find more enthusiasm here among the people who are not so invested in how things have worked in the past.

I had plans to make my own proposal to Cyan, privately, because I saw little support from the places I thought that mattered. And because, like another lesson I learned last year in getting things done with Cyan in the IC world, it's better to contact Cyan or its agents directly than through public discussion. I might still do that when I feel the time is right. But for now, I'm a thinker, not a doer. Real life comes first for me and I don't have the idle time of the pre-collegiate and collegiate youth and the associated limitless future. If it comes to pass, I'd like to help lead an open source management organization for Uru. I've been trying to inspire support for a path toward that goal if Cyan is willing and able. But in the meantime, you're welcome to use my ideas or engage me in discussions on a private forum (that's a suggestion). I have otherwise invested all the significant time I care to spend publicly on the matter except to maintain something of an awareness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:42 pm 

Reading the proposal and thinking.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Removed on request. What I had to say has either already been noted, or apparently isn't going to be noted.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Last edited by Gondar on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:53 am 

It's a wonderful idea, I'm not sure how feasible it is. Volunteers present a multitude of concerns and problems probably too numerous to mention here. Before offering our solution, it may benefit us to find out what Cyan needs in specific to get this moving forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Gondar, please re-read my OP and modify your post to only the constructive suggestions (i.e, a small group working on this which I think is a valid idea) or I'll ask the moderator to remove it. JW, I'm waiting on a reply to my e-mail to you before deciding on yours. Y'all are taking up valuable space here and mudding the waters already. Please show Jamey a little more respect.

CrisGer, thank you for your support.

urutheremin, yes, we need to find out what Cyan needs which is why one of the positions listed is someone who can communicate easily with them. :wink:

Again, please re-read the OP and make your posts without comment about the pros and cons of the idea itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:26 am 

What I'm really hoping is that Chogon may see this topic and give us some feedback on what might be needed to get this proposal/idea up and moving :D He may be able to give us ideas for other positions we can post here since I am not able to do all the positions I've listed. I can make ages, as well as be a decent Concept designer, but I know nothing about how to set up servers unfortunately.

Is there anyone here who does have experience with this?

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:14 am 

Jamey, I think the one thing that is paramount in any proposal you plan to put forward is that everyone involved (and I really mean everyone) will be under strict NDA. Even as volunteers you can produce an NDA contract that has teeth. Such that proprietary information from Cyan doesn't leek and isn't stolen. Thus once you get the basic volunteers and the framework. Stop going public and do everything behind closed doors. Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:21 am 

Let me know what you need from the GoMe and I will do my very best to make it happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:27 am 

Murray and I fully support anything to get Uru back on its feet again, as long as it does not go against Cyan's wishes and their benefit :) Consider us attentive and positive followers of this thread :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:54 am 
Creative Kingdoms

peteki wrote:
Jamey, I think the one thing that is paramount in any proposal you plan to put forward is that everyone involved (and I really mean everyone) will be under strict NDA.

Why? The requirement for an NDA might guide what to include in a proposal, and when.

You could generalize this advice and determine your actual needs later by including a Legal Counsel position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 am 

Sophia wrote:
Murray and I fully support anything to get Uru back on its feet again, as long as it does not go against Cyan's wishes and their benefit :) Consider us attentive and positive followers of this thread :)

Uru is in good hands :) EVERYTHING we do will be approved by Cyan. If Cyan hasn't approved any aspect of what we plan to do, we will assume Cyan is against that certain aspect that is unapproved and we will not implement it. ;)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:30 am 

I knew that, Jamey :) But I wanted to mention it anyway, I seem to see too many "rebels" these days :) I wish you luck in your endeavors, also congratulations on your intiative!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Note taken, peteki

Thanks, Lynnutte. I knew I could count on the GoMe! :D

Glad to have you and Murray keeping watch, Sophia. We want to write something that Cyan will accept, so you could probably help us greatly in that respect.

Just to reiterate, this project is simply writing a proposal to Cyan and does not include doing anything else just yet. However, we really need the very people who could implement an accepted proposal to help us write the proposal. Any volunteers? (Your name could go down in Uru History.) :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next