It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am 
Creative Kingdoms

What are Cyan forums for? Speculation. While we are reacting to Chogon's post, it would be fun to guess the origin and outcome of what Chogon meant by the "landscape" of Myst Online.

Here are some possibilities I thought of right away:

• Expiration of Ubisoft rights to publish "new Myst games through 2008" might have something to do with this.
  • Cyan finally took my advice to develop Plasma and Authentication Server SDKs and are going Open Source with the Server, Client and plugin.
  • Atari has purchased development rights to Myst Online and will publish through Cryptic Studios. They are in a buying mood, it seems, and recently acquired Star Trek: Online.:
    http://www.trektoday.com/news/091208_01.shtml
  • Apple has hired Cyan to develop Myst Online and purchased publishing rights because they like iMyst so much. Steve Jobs and Rand will announce together at a media event.
  • Valve has contracted with Cyan to develop Myst Online on their Source engine. The "landscape" changes come from using portals instead of books. Valve will use GlaDOS to announce the news in her own unique way.
  • Microsoft wants to put Myst Online on the Xbox 360. Cyan will be fully funded for decades.
  • The Mysteriacs made a deal with a major Hollywood production company which wants to develop and revitalize the franchise in preparation for production and marketing.
  • Chogon won the lottery.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 am 

hehehehehe...I wondered how long it would take for a post like this to show up. :lol:

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
On the other tentacle, maybe "landscape" means he's become a real estate broker in his spare time. Anyone want to buy a used island? Only one owner, but it's a bit of a fixer-upper-er-er-er.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 am 
Obduction Backer

In other news, Cyan Worlds have announced their shift in focus to casual games while maintaining the rich backstory of their Myst franchise. The first release, D'ni Dig Dug, is billed as the world's first MMORPG arcade game..."

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
The New Media Consortium will fund Uru as an educational tool. College students will become Cyan interns, ResEngs, and flood the Guilds with new members. Schoolchildren will take field trips to D'ni to learn about anthropology, archaeology, sociology, biology, and math among other things. That would be a pretty drastic change in the Uru landscape, wouldn't it? But, a good one - one we could live with, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am 

My wild guess was landscapes was meaning the changing of the top portion of this forum to a new look, but only guessing, I like the thoughts of all the other postings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:15 am 

How about this one:
Cyan have decided to fund another Sim in Second Life and attached it to SkydiverAnarta's And SkydiverColorado's Sim allowing them to continue the changes to the vast Myst landscape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Landscape is the set of the land. Land is a place to stand on.. in the case of Myst and such... ages.

That means that there's going to be a drastic shift in the ages, how the layout is.

....BUMP MAPPING! :shock:

Or alternately Valve making it a source mod exclusive to Steam. That works too. :P

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:23 am 
Obduction Backer

This is too easy. Clearly, hermeneutics is not anyone's forte - except mine, of course - how do you think I got to be the Unelected Dictator?

Quote:
Hold on everyone.

Grammatically, the absence of a comma following “on” is of utmost importance. Rather than an admonition to wait, this sentence is a command for everyone to hold on to everyone else. I suggest we all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Quote:
We are discussing about drastically changing the landscape of MystOnline.

This is no doubt a reference to the style of painting that arose in the Yuan Dynasty, the so-called “mind landscape,” which embodied both learned references to the styles of earlier masters and, through calligraphic brushwork, the inner spirit of the artist. “Changing the landscape” means either changing your mind - “I think I’ll use purple today, lots and lots of purple” - or changing the water for your brush. “Changing the landscape of MystOnline” therefore means painting purple watercolors, which of course implies Kadish is coming back.

Quote:
I can't give any details yet but I promise it will very soon (days)!

This segment of the message is slightly obfuscated by the obviously missing word between “will” and “very”. One choice would be “be” - “it will be very soon” - but that is too simple. Combining the command to hold on to everyone with the fact that Kadish is coming back, clearly implies that the missing word is “explode” - “it will explode very soon” - or perhaps even something more sinister, such as “it will fall into a black hole and be utterly destroyed very soon”. The (days) part therefore worries me, as does the absence of an antecedent for "it".

Quote:
Stay tuned! (and be civil out there).

Straightforward: Listen to your radio, the civil defense channel.

Quote:
Thanks,
Chogon

I’m clueless on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:26 am 

MOUL will be reborn as a MMORPG set in a D'ni Universe with full all platform support and populated exclusivley by D'ni and Bahro.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 am 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
MOUL will be reborn as a MMORPG set in a D'ni Universe with full all platform support and populated exclusivley by D'ni and Bahro.

I'm sorry.. I tried to find the thread, but it's buried and without search I can't see. But I remember a thread coming up about that, with photoshopped images about a MOUL MMOG, involving combat etc. Very amusing.

Offhand I think a three-way race design could work. D'ni know writing, and have lots of weight of generations of knowledge on their side. Bahro can self-link and can link others with that. Oh, and nasty claws to rip things apart. And humans.. we have far more advanced technology, and the advantage of a whole planet of us researching that sort of thing. (D'ni had guns true but there's not so many of them.. did the D'ni ever even discover heavier than air flight? Hard to do in the cavern.,..)

But I'm just musing. Give me a few days to finish up stuff, and I can actually get you a design document for something like that. No, I'm not joking, I could. And it'd be a good game though very derivative, which is hard to avoid when you tread ground stampeded over by everyone+dog.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Hopefully this could be as simple as re-vamping the ‘moderation’ and ‘perceived forum rules’. That in it self would be a rather refreshing change in landscape. :wink:

Would allow for a whole lots more dialogin’ and inter action and just havin’ some fun. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 am 

I think he had a small Japanese garden in his back yard that he named, "MystOnline". He's thinking about adding a pond to it with a few fish.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Bobby Ewing wakes up from a nap, and finds Wheely and Rose in his kitchen fighting over Eggo Waffles.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 am 
Obduction Backer

@ JWPlatt: All of the above.

They're fighting over it. :lol:

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next