It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:04 am 

Eleri wrote:
All I want to know is, will there be a way for Cyan to tell THEIR Uru story? Uru is more than servers and source code.

and that is absolutely WHY cyan should retain more than a bit of control over these servers!!

fan created content is nice - and some of it is absolutely fabulous, i'm sure!!

i'd want to keep the integrity of the d'ni and the cavern in place...as well as adding on to the story and history - there is SO much more to learn! only cyan can really do that - they're who created it all in the first place and they're who know what direction they want things to go in.

iow, they are who knows how the story ends and THEY should be who does the telling - with some help here and there from the fans. still, in the end, they should retain the rights to approve or not approve fan-created ages. simply put, if the age deviates too much from the storyline (or can't be logically incorporated), then it shouldn't be part of this new online version.

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree with Zardoz that it may be a rocky ride, but hey - MMO Uru is coming back! I think it was the right thing to do.

Eleri, unless Cyan can free up resources to add new content - there won't be any new story from Cyan. New story means new content, and Cyan isn't doing any new content. Maybe that will change in the future.

I'm still really, really happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Can we move this to the news section? It's a bit hard to find

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:08 am 

i set it as a 'watched topic' you can get to it from your control panel.

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 am 

If this is put in the hands of the Guilds, they will have to communicate with each other a lot more than they do now in my opinion. Not that they don't communicate now, it's just that they will have to work more closely with each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 am 

This is totally awesome!

But, I just hope Cyan will remain in control to a certain extent, because I don't want Uru to basically turn into a sandbox like SL and places like that.

Without Cyan control to a certain extent, Uru may lose some of it's beauty

So Cyan, please stay in control (to a certain extent ;) )

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Looks like we gots a nice Christmas present. Wooot!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:29 am 

This is a beginning of a new life for Uru. This new life will be defined by the actions of people who surround it and care for it.

This decision is not something a game company does. This is not just an experiment. If you are complaining already, you may want to re-examine your ideas of what Uru is and what it will now be free to grow into.

Clinging to old ideas at this point will be adding an anchor to Uru. Do you want to weigh Uru down, or release your fears and watch it fly?

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Eleri wrote:
All I want to know is, will there be a way for Cyan to tell THEIR Uru story? Uru is more than servers and source code.

They've tried and failed 3 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:33 am 

BAD wrote:
This is a beginning of a new life for Uru. This new life will be defined by the actions of people who surround it and care for it.

This decision is not something a game company does. This is not just an experiment. If you are complaining already, you may want to re-examine your ideas of what Uru is and what it will now be free to grow into.

Clinging to old ideas at this point will be adding an anchor to Uru. Do you want to weigh Uru down, or release your fears and watch it fly?

fiery abyss yea..

its best not to push a set story now, things are gonna change weather we like it or not, and no one is gonna say what is what.
lets just see where this goes and accept differences, thats how this will grow and succeed.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

BAD wrote:

/me chuckles and sets the anchor away

asks the healers to make lots of bandages for skinned knees caused by the rough ride

starts collecting feathers for the upcoming flight

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:37 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Holy cow, I'm just back from dinner and Zardoz tells me in a PM to get out here and [express my joy]...

Now on to the article...

And I have project domain in mind for Open Source URU. In fact it's been in the works since last week...

I'll be back... When I know the facts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:40 am 

Would be interesting to have the Nexus connect to a index server so you could use it to connect to other people's servers and such.

Uru will continue to live and it will not die. :D

The best thing to make this as best as possible would be to focus everyone's talents to a central place. If most everyone focuses on a central server or site, the overall game and theme will be stronger. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:47 am 

Can someone let me know how I could help out with this? I'm technically a programmer.

~Fortran Sam and the Voxel Farmers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Good luck having the guilds control everything. It's open source. ;)

Just what the slackers have been waiting for! Thank you Cyan!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next