It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 am 
Site Admin

Ok, first thing:
It is Tom Sowa, a very good newspaper reporter from the Spokesman-Review, who has reported many times on Cyan.
And it is Tony Fryman, the president of Cyan.

By opening up the source to MystOnline, it does not preclude Cyan from creating their own server in the future with Cyan's content and storyline. However, with our current situation, that might be a long ways off and we don't want to hold people back.

Also, the architecture of the MystOnline servers is a *lot* different than the Until Uru servers. The MystOnline servers are very scalable and with some open source programmer help, it should be possible to have one shard (shard is not really a good term here) that has many servers, spread over the world but to the user playing, it will look like just one big server. And it should be possible to make them safe and secure.
There still will be rogue servers created, which is fine. But with organization by guilds and other fan groups, and good information, UruLive can still be great place to live.

Ok... where were those sources again... just kidding. ;-)

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:51 am 

thank you Chogon that was hopeful to hear.

This way we can hope to have safe servers that will have content protection so we will be able to continue to enjoy a real URU and not open source soup or sand box. thank you very much. I remain hopeful.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Oh, I see... so there will be a good Uru and a bad Uru. Okay, that's fine with me. I'll be in the good Uru organized by the guilds. Thank you, Cyan. :D

Post subject:

Thanks Chogon!

Will Cyan have just as much as control as the guilds will in MystOnline? I want Cyan to have control to a certain extent. Uru won't be the same without the creators being involved ;)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:

Eleri wrote:
All I want to know is, will there be a way for Cyan to tell THEIR Uru story? Uru is more than servers and source code.

I agree Eleri. My hopes are that with growth from the fans that it can become MORE and we can get storyline from Cyan. I had great pains at the loss of MOUL, as if a book I was reading was taken from me and half of it was ripped away and tossed down into the lava crevice.

I actually hope there are not too many servers out there so there isn't a tremendous fracturing of the community. UU seemed to have a bit too many shards right at the end of its run. I've always said I am here to live the story of the D'ni. Hopefully the fans can make a great place and will draw more folks in. More folks hopefully will generate revenue that can give us MORE storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:55 am 

Okay:

NOW the GoMa will support Shards.......

Yah, I know. A bit anal there, but you know us Maintainers: By the book.

Control? No. Except our own shard we'll most likely start up now.

Help? Absolutely. That's what we're for. I have quite a few tutorials for those wanting to learn Age creation, including links to the GoW Wiki site.

We'll be there to help anyone. Just ask.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:57 am 

And all that hard hard work the Guilds of Writers and Maintainers have been doing and the Guild of Messengers have been helping us stay in touch with so well, and the Guild of Greeters helped us keep in touch with when MOUL was open and now they can come back and help again...all that fine work can grow and help the new servers.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:59 am 

/me inhales deeply and does something completely out of character...

WOO-HOO!!!

Ahem...

Now to find some ages to break, erm, I mean, test.

(All in good time, after the organization gets finalized.)

:) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Just to be clear, I'm not horrified or dissapointed by this move by Cyan. I think it opens up the world for the community to strech its wings in ways that it never has before. But there will be, for me, an element missing. I think, given that we won't have the no new content limitations of UU, that the community will step up to create some fantastic stories. Maybe, someday, those will even be integrated into the canon story. But, I'll still wander around D'ni wondering what *that* building is for, or where *that* passage might lead.

Quote:
They've tried and failed 3 times.

This is innacurate. Cyan has yet to fail with Uru. The failures have been with Ubisoft, for not taking the game out of beta; GameTap, for not having a clear understanding of the marketing needs for promoting a game like Uru; and the economy, for taking a turn that caused the revenue for MORE to dry up. None of those factors have been in their control, and they've had to struggle under the constraints and limitations. Sometimes they stumble and fall, but they, at the least, have always tried, even when their support system has come crashing down.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:10 am 

What Eleri said!!!!

and i remain hopeful that Cyan will give us some canon story guidelines..i would feel better with at least that :) and i will ignore things that are too far from it if they dont.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:10 am 

Just for the record.....

I assume that there will be more popular servers, and groups of servers, but I do hope that you all realize there will be multiple servers. Some you won't even know about.

So lets not start saying "good" Uru or "bad" Uru. We are (mostly) not children here. We can at least pretend we are adults.

I am already disappointed by the lack of understanding. Cyan is potentially inventing a new way to game in the world. Something other companies are attempting bit by bit. This is a BOLD step, and if we take this opportunity in the right direction, Cyan may potentially have a way to make money from uru again.

If however we decide to quail behind Cyan's hoop skirt as some seem to enjoy on this board, then nothing will happen. Uru will stagnate and Cyan's efforts here would be wasted.

I ask is that people keep their minds open, and try to refrain from making assumptions about how this "should" work. Open source means a lot of things. One thing it doesn't mean is overt control. Once you open the box, you can't stuff the demons back inside.

So lets take this one step at a time and forestall any assumptions about "control" and who will have it.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:12 am 

We are all free to respect Cyan and the content as orignally conceived thank you very much and i plan to go on doing just that, and to ignore wild tangents if i choose.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 am 

Thanks for the news Chogon!
This is a fabulous gift Cyan is giving to the URU community. :D

Now URU can thrive to a new level of splendor and I put my hand in to help with the process! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 am 

You miss my point entirely Cris. Thanks for reading.

You know there is a point where you go from being a rabid fan to just a person screaming into the wind.

My point is to not discount others efforts. It seems your only interested in Cyan's. Well I hate to burst your bubble but it may be a long time before you see anything new from Cyan. So your choices are to sit in your corner and wait for Cyan to return, or come and play Uru with the rest of us.

Your choice.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

You do realize this is Cyan getting back to its Roots, don't you? This latest iteration will be called "Cosmic OSMOUL"

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next