It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Wow - I'm really overwhelmed by all this. I can't honestly say we didn't see something like this coming, but to have it happen now really takes my breath away. (Granted, the announcement is now, the actual implementation is...?)

Thanks, Chogon. Thanks, Cyan.

Whew!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:22 am 

Quote:
We are all free to respect Cyan and the content as orignally conceived thank you very much and i plan to go on doing just that, and to ignore wild tangents if i choose.

Well good for you! Myself? I intend to see everything this great community has to offer and I intend on being one of the people offering some of it. You want to place limits to what you see, as others may as well. I want no limits to what I see and I will decide if it is appropriate or not, just as many others also will.

See, we can exist side by side and each get what we want out of the game. Isn't that nice? ;)

Thank you very much Cyan, and especially the Head Cheese of Cyan, Rand. This ought to be fun and I am really looking forward to this grand experiment, as I am sure many others are too.

Edit:
Quote:
... but to have it happen now really takes my breath away.

This makes it one gnarly Christmas present to the community. Merry Christmas to you too Cyan! :D

Last edited by Papa Smurf on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:23 am 

/me hugs everyone and is happy that there will be a chance to see the Cavern again and hopes for a positive experinece for everyone in their own way. Thank you Cyan and Chogon. Thank you.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:23 am 
Obduction Backer

BAD wrote:
I assume that there will be more popular servers, and groups of servers, but I do hope that you all realize there will be multiple servers.

I think that is good. That will give the community the oppertunity to choose that server they like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Papa Smurf wrote:
Quote:
We are all free to respect Cyan and the content as orignally conceived thank you very much and i plan to go on doing just that, and to ignore wild tangents if i choose.

Well good for you! Myself? I intend to see everything this great community has to offer and I intend on being one of the people offering some of it. You want to place limits to what you see, as others may as well. I want no limits to what I see and I will decide if it is appropriate or not, just as many others also will.

See, we can exist side by side and each get what we want out of the game. Isn't that nice? ;)

Thank you very much Cyan, and especially the Head Cheese of Cyan, Rand. This ought to be fun and I am really looking forward to this grand experiment, as I am sure many others are too.

Edit:
Quote:

This makes it one gnarly Christmas present to the community. Merry Christmas to you too Cyan! :D

Is it really a good idea to call Rand Miller "Head Cheese"? :lol:

(You meant "Big Cheese", right?)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 am 

TOOO wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:
Quote:

Edit:
Quote:

Is it really a good idea to call Rand Miller "Head Cheese"? :lol:

(You meant "Big Cheese", right?)

:lol:

Private joke ;)
Rand will understand.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic:

Last edited by San_San on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 am 
Obduction Backer

The cool thing about this is, some days I may want to hang out, some days I may want to wander really surreal ages, some days I may want to gave green skin and fuchia hair, some days I may want to be completely immersive. And, it is ALL possible.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:33 am 

Nice to see the clarification for my post was posted by Chogon as I was typing. Very cool. It's a brave new world in D'ni now.

BAD, I understand what you are saying and where CrisGer is coming from as well. I will probably reside mostly on a Cyan server. I totally understand from Chogon's clarification that there will indeed be other servers and some we will not know about as you say. If the content generated on those private servers is good stuff, it will be pushed out to the general public. I hope there are servers out there testing new ages before they come to the Cyan server. Those people running those servers do the testing, invite people in to do stress testing, then it comes to the masses if it passes. If people want to test on some of these private servers they can. If some want to just have fun where we were and wait for the cream that rises to the top to show up, they can do that too. It is the best of both worlds and is good for everyone concerned. Hopefully good new stuff from the community will draw others in and/or back. Hopefully this will bring Cyan to a point where they can give us new content and we can learn how the war with Yeesha and the Bahro is going.

I've still got my fingers crossed. Thank you Cyan Worlds. I hope the community does you proud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:34 am 

To some, "moving on" will mean going back to their beloved and much bewailed UU to go paint faces, spawn and warp non stop. Which is, I don't deny it, much fun to some. To me, it truly means an opportunity to move on and see NEW, neverending things (Andy's ages, anyone?). I look forward to the future with the greatest anticipation. That is what it turns out to be I guess, everybody can find the server they feel at home :) I had mixed feelings, but I think it will all work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 am 

Quote:
To some, "moving on" will mean going back to their beloved and much bewailed UU to go paint faced, spawn and warp. To me, it truly means an opportunity to move on. I look forward to the future with much interest

To each their own, as it should be. Some people are going to have to learn to deal with that. ;)

Good edit. ;)

Last edited by Papa Smurf on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 am 
Obduction Backer

mtn'man wrote:
Nice to see the clarification for my post was posted by Chogon as I was typing. Very cool. It's a brave new world in D'ni now.

BAD, I understand what you are saying and where CrisGer is coming from as well. I will probably reside mostly on a Cyan server. I totally understand from Chogon's clarification that there will indeed be other servers and some we will not know about as you say. If the content generated on those private servers is good stuff, it will be pushed out to the general public. I hope there are servers out there testing new ages before they come to the Cyan server. Those people running those servers do the testing, invite people in to do stress testing, then it comes to the masses if it passes. If people want to test on some of these private servers they can. If some want to just have fun where we were and wait for the cream that rises to the top to show up, they can do that too. It is the best of both worlds and is good for everyone concerned. Hopefully good new stuff from the community will draw others in and/or back. Hopefully this will bring Cyan to a point where they can give us new content and we can learn how the war with Yeesha and the Bahro is going.

I've still got my fingers crossed. Thank you Cyan Worlds. I hope the community does you proud.

Um, there's not going to be a Cyan server. Maybe down the line, if Cyan can afford it. But the only server they are going to have to start is the one to download the MOUL data and source code from. I believe is what they are saying when they said they'll host a server for data. The only servers that will be for fans to "explore ages" will be fan run servers based on the source code that will be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:39 am 
Obduction Backer

:shock: Oh, my goodness. Well, well, well.

This is not what I expected. And I can't wait to see what happens.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
This is innacurate. Cyan has yet to fail with Uru. The failures have been with Ubisoft, for not taking the game out of beta; GameTap, for not having a clear understanding of the marketing needs for promoting a game like Uru; and the economy, for taking a turn that caused the revenue for MORE to dry up. None of those factors have been in their control, and they've had to struggle under the constraints and limitations. Sometimes they stumble and fall, but they, at the least, have always tried, even when their support system has come crashing down.

So, let's blame Ubisoft for making a rational decision--they saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship before they lost money. Let's also blame GameTap who promoted Uru like no tomorrow! They gave it a chance, saw it wouldn't work and bailed--like any sensible person would. You completely missed the third failure. Cyan closed UU, the most long-lived publicly available Uru online experience. Cyan is the only constant in these failures, so where should I lay my blame?

I think your statements are the inaccurate ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

It sounds like what we'll have is One Central Universe, comprised of Many Different Servers, and there may be Many Other Servers that don't connect to the One Central Universe?

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:43 am 

Papa Smurf wrote:
Quote:
To some, "moving on" will mean going back to their beloved and much bewailed UU to go paint faced, spawn and warp. To me, it truly means an opportunity to move on. I look forward to the future with much interest

To each their own, as it should be. Some people are going to have to learn to deal with that. ;)

Good edit. ;)

I always typed too fast :( And yes, to each their own. Glad we are all happy, talk about ultimate unity in the communty by wonderful devision ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next