It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:45 am 

heh there is no going back but why leave the furniture behind? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:48 am 

mtn'man wrote:
Nice to see the clarification for my post was posted by Chogon as I was typing. Very cool. It's a brave new world in D'ni now.

BAD, I understand what you are saying and where CrisGer is coming from as well. I will probably reside mostly on a Cyan server. I totally understand from Chogon's clarification that there will indeed be other servers and some we will not know about as you say. If the content generated on those private servers is good stuff, it will be pushed out to the general public. I hope there are servers out there testing new ages before they come to the Cyan server. Those people running those servers do the testing, invite people in to do stress testing, then it comes to the masses if it passes. If people want to test on some of these private servers they can. If some want to just have fun where we were and wait for the cream that rises to the top to show up, they can do that too. It is the best of both worlds and is good for everyone concerned. Hopefully good new stuff from the community will draw others in and/or back. Hopefully this will bring Cyan to a point where they can give us new content and we can learn how the war with Yeesha and the Bahro is going.

I've still got my fingers crossed. Thank you Cyan Worlds. I hope the community does you proud.

My point ans Cris' are not mutually exclusive, nor really have anything to do with each other.

My point is that people need to act mature and realize that once this is released, they can not start whining about separate servers. This is not another movement to re-establish MOUL as a Cyan entity.

You need to realize that there will be NO Cyan servers for a long time. Read Chogon's words. He states it clearly. So as I told Cris you can hide in your corner awaiting an **OFFICIAL** server ran by Cyan, or you can eat some of your pride and join the fun in the new Uru.

The possibilities are literally endless. There will be IC servers and test servers and this server and that server. Oh and I forgot one other thing....

Thanks Cyan! :D

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:49 am 
Obduction Backer

This is great news. Despite all the changes (and even anarchy) that it will bring I think this is the right thing to do. (I can already hear the screams of pain of Tweek ;) ) and probably the best move Cyan can do right now, at least as far as Uru is concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:50 am 

Quote:
You completely missed the third failure.

In this case, the fourth time is the charm? :D

Only time will tell, but I think they got this right. Uru will live and it will grow, and Cyan can step back in any time they want. After all, they are the experts at this and if it takes off and Cyan survives this drought period then you know they will be back in one form or another. In Uru, you are you but you wouldn't be you without Rand's dream. He and his people made that happen for us.

We are just a part of a tree that will have many branches, Cyan is the tree and we all know that. Where they go we will be sure to follow, but in the meantime we will have our own work to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Eleri wrote:
It sounds like what we'll have is One Central Universe, comprised of Many Different Servers, and there may be Many Other Servers that don't connect to the One Central Universe?

I think it does. And I don't have a problem with that.

I do think it means that portions of the Uru community that have different visions will diverge. I don't have a problem with that either. As long as there is one version in which I can feel at home and see my friends. :)

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:54 am 

Papa Smurf wrote:
Quote:
You completely missed the third failure.

In this case, the fourth time is the charm? :D

Only time will tell, but I think they got this right. Uru will live and it will grow, and Cyan can step back in any time they want. After all, they are the experts at this and if it takes off and Cyan survives this drought period then you know they will be back in one form or another. In Uru, you are you but you wouldn't be you without Rand's dream. He and his people made that happen for us.

We are just a part of a tree that will have many branches, Cyan is the tree and we all know that. Where they go we will be sure to follow, but in the meantime we will have our own work to do.

yup. :) drop an acorn (or whatever seed ) and see what grows ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:55 am 

This is exciting stuff. Since MORE apparently stopped with the financial issues, I figured I'd never see anything from Cyan again aside from tiny games and remakes.

Also, I do not blame Cyan. Ubi saw the writing on the wall, did they? Considering that we're all actually still here, making MOUL one of the most well-loved canceled MMOs in the world, I'd say that writing was false. And no, Gametap did not promote Uru like crazy. They did very little: ask your gaming friends if they know what Uru Live is. When they say no, ask them what Gametap is. I've done this with many people and I think it's easy to say that while Uru was a big investment of theirs, it wasn't bigger than, say, their acquisition of the first two Fallout games, despite the fact that MOUL was unique to their system.

But anyway, now Cyan isn't dependent on anyone, unless you count the only people who've stuck by them for so long :D . Whoever you want to blame for past failures, I think we can all agree that we won't be the cause of another one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:58 am 

Kerryth wrote:
Eleri wrote:
It sounds like what we'll have is One Central Universe, comprised of Many Different Servers, and there may be Many Other Servers that don't connect to the One Central Universe?

I think it does. And I don't have a problem with that.

I do think it means that portions of the Uru community that have different visions will diverge. I don't have a problem with that either. As long as there is one version in which I can feel at home and see my friends. :)

Having "One Central Universe" will require people with the time, money, and skill to set up interconnected servers. These people will want to "run" their servers their way of course. Unless Cyan has a plan to encourage such an undertaking, it will all be down to the popularity of one server over another. I see it as starting out as a bunch of small (one or two running one instance) servers, and the popular ones growing and gaining further support and possibly new servers connecting to them.

This will happen naturally, and popularity will depend on what's offered as new content I would suspect.

I imagine the GOW, GOM, and other prominent groups will eventually become the more popular servers.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:07 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Tai'lahr wrote:
Oh, I see... so there will be a good Uru and a bad Uru. Okay, that's fine with me. I'll be in the good Uru organized by the guilds. Thank you, Cyan. :D

Heh, "choose your path."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am 

:evil: :x :? :P

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 am 

Sorry, I'm typing fast and am distracted by a hockey game. I did not explain myself well. I understand this part...
Chogon wrote:
By opening up the source to MystOnline, it does not preclude Cyan from creating their own server in the future with Cyan's content and storyline. However, with our current situation, that might be a long ways off and we don't want to hold people back.

I guess I really wasn't clear though.
Chogon wrote:
Also, the architecture of the MystOnline servers is a *lot* different than the Until Uru servers. The MystOnline servers are very scalable and with some open source programmer help, it should be possible to have one shard (shard is not really a good term here) that has many servers, spread over the world but to the user playing, it will look like just one big server.

This is what I mean by a "main" server for people to play on. There will be private servers out there, sure. That's awesome. You can do what you want if you want on your own servers. You can turn the Arch upside down. You can put it up in place of the tent. I was in UU, so I know the possibilities are many. My hopes are that there is one shard with many servers that does indeed keep things in place as we all knew them in MOUL, with additional content being filtered in from the community via new books on pedistals, etc. Make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 am 

I like the Many Servers, Many Universes idea. That everyone may have Uru as they like it. That's what's always bugged me. People sometimes act like we're this big united community, and sometimes others act like we're this bitterly-divided community wasting its time in the battles of the past. What we are is a mix. We are divided superficially, on lines where no one should need to fight. But make no mistake, we are one community, united around the game we enjoy. Now is our time to show what we're capable of. Uru is in our hands. We start from humble beginnings, but we start from the right place. For a tree is only as strong as its roots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:16 am 

mtn'man wrote:
Sorry, I'm typing fast and am distracted by a hockey game. I did not explain myself well. I understand this part...
Chogon wrote:
By opening up the source to MystOnline, it does not preclude Cyan from creating their own server in the future with Cyan's content and storyline. However, with our current situation, that might be a long ways off and we don't want to hold people back.

I guess I really wasn't clear though.
Chogon wrote:
Also, the architecture of the MystOnline servers is a *lot* different than the Until Uru servers. The MystOnline servers are very scalable and with some open source programmer help, it should be possible to have one shard (shard is not really a good term here) that has many servers, spread over the world but to the user playing, it will look like just one big server.

This is what I mean by a "main" server for people to play on. There will be private servers out there, sure. That's awesome. You can do what you want if you want on your own servers. You can turn the Arch upside down. You can put it up in place of the tent. I was in UU, so I know the possibilities are many. My hopes are that there is one shard with many servers that does indeed keep things in place as we all knew them in MOUL, with additional content being filtered in from the community via new books on pedistals, etc. Make sense?

That makes better sense thanks.

The "One Central Universe" idea is very nice on paper, but as I explained above that unless Cyan has some kind of plan to get that going, we are going to be subjugated to survival of the most popular.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:17 am 

Interestingly, this new structure is similar to "the great tree of possibilities" which is central to the Myst universe.
It will be possible to find slightly different versions of the same Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 am 

This is the best news I've heard in ages. I really can't wait to go back. :D :D :D

KI #00066107

I never asked to be born, but since I'm here, I'm taking over.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next