It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know the GoA is still a pretty small and tangential Guild to a lot of folks (and I definitely won't argue that it definitely is small ;)), but I wanted to voice my opinions as a Guild leader, since they've been solicited.

While I'm sure that the Guilds-managed shard won't be the only one out there – open-sourcing the client and server code pretty much ensures that – I think that the Guilds-managed shard has the best chance of any to become a place where we can continue to work towards creating an extended D'ni universe as we were going to do in MORE. While I don't have any resources to commit to actually operating the shard itself, I – and the GoA as a whole I'm sure – am very eager to work with the other Guilds to continue the development of an open and fair system for enabling fans to contribute new Ages and stories not just to the game (as I'm sure that will be permitted on the vast majority of shards), but to the mythos of D'ni as well. It's the difference between fanfic and an extended universe, essentially, but having a place where extended universe stuff can exist an grow can help keep the mythos of D'ni alive and well for quite some time if/until Cyan is able to continue their own storytelling efforts is something I definitely want to see happen. Bringing back the plans for the FCAL Panel would be one good place to start planning, but no doubt we'll need other organizational structures in place for managing the non-content-related aspects of running a shard.

I can at the very least offer the services of the GoA for overseeing the extended universe we create, and of DPWR for people to discuss the development of new stories within the extended universe (a service to compliment the GoW's services for developing new content, if you will).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I think you've got your telescope the wrong way round. :) Think of a shard as a server farm, and each server can be anywhere in the world. [A shard can be one server, of course]. Prologue was the initial model - 3 shards - 5 instances on each - many servers.

Naw, I understand the way it worked - in prior URU models. I could have said that it "will look like one big worldwide distributed shard", but as you also must know, what appears to the outside world as one server may be distributed across many physical machines. So I got a bit sloppy and concatenated terminology there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:14 pm 

COMMUNITY
OPEN
SOURCE
MYST
SHARD or SERVICE or SERVERS whatever

COSMOS Big enough for everyone. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the UU model will apply in our latest incarnation, Emor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:22 pm 

I like it. COSMOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:31 pm 

Good post, Alahmnat. That's something that would really be good to have on the inter-guild server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I think the UU model will apply in our latest incarnation, Emor.
Rusty> from the press announcement:
Quote:
"But it is our hope that ... a safe and secure MystOnline server set (many servers from around the world working together as one) can be created..."
(bolding mine)
This would not appear to be the UU model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:03 pm 

But those many servers could represent one shard and another set a second shard which would be the UU model.

The UU model where any individual shard used distributed servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Agreed, JKla - all I'm pointing out is that we cannot say for certain what the model will look like.
Nor will it be our call.
We await word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:19 pm 

Speculation here is like experimental physics or is it psychics whatever, your theory stands till someone either blows it away with rhetoric or till the experimental collider makes you look extremely smug and the resulting fallout blows you away. :D

That is unless you keep cool and avoid the smugness. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:35 pm 

What I always found interesting is the people who really know tend to stay quiet.

I probably could learn from that. :lol:

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:38 pm 

What and change the habit of a lifetime. :) Einstein didn't fiery abyss he even survived the smugness bomb. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:16 pm 

Personally, I don't like much the idea of centralized control (centralized auth server) and certainly NOT ran by Cyan. And NO FCAL either.

That said, I'm more interested, knowledgeable and available for running servers than for worrying about content and politics.

I already have some serious metal running on a 100Mbps pipe in a datacenter right next to a backbone. If Cyan released code tomorrow we could be testing right then if it can run on Windows 2003 Advanced Server, and a little later if it's on Linux or BSD. This is what I can provide to the project.

Before anyone asks, no, you can't run a Guild shard from the PC in your bedroom on your home "high-speed" link, although the software will install and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:37 pm 

How about lots of little home servers connecting to the central thing then, pretending it is one guild server while in truth there is a whole (invisible) park of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:46 pm 

Unless MOUL has brought more changes than we know about, it is not THAT distributed. Data servers can provide files, but auth and lobby servers have to be strong enough to manage all the players on the shard (up to 100 in MOUL).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next