It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
ChloeRhodes wrote:
Why don't we just stick with calling it MORE. It stands for Myst Online Restoration Experiment. That's just what this is. It's an experimental gaming procedure. Never before has a game company open sourced their engine, server code etc, to its fans, for them to develop and build. That's whats going to happen. Why change the name, it still fits.

I thought of that, too. It makes the most sense. However, in statements, Cyan seems to refer to MORE as the version they still hope to bring about when they're in a better financial position. /shrug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I vote for just Uru. MORE is nice too, but Uru sounds better and also sounds more intriguing to new players.

And Uru would be a new name as well. I mean, there hasn't been a single version of Uru that was named just Uru, it was always Uru Live, Uru:ABM, URU:CC, Until Uru, MOUL, etc... Let's leave the subtitle and just call it Uru this time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Open Uru is exactly what it will be. Why not just call it what it is?

I kinda like that! Plus it has a great acronym: OURU
Not that it's really our decision to make at all, as Lynnutte and others have said....

(my earlier suggestion of opensource URU = URUX was in jest: it sounds horrible!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm 

The problem with "uru" is that it's not very interesting. As I said before, it says NOTHING about the game, and to people who just hear about the game, it will be just a wierd name.

So why do I like Beyond Myst Uru? truth is, there's this series of books I read years ago, called "the spiderwick chronicles" or something like that. Lately, I heared that the the authers wrote another book later. It was in the same world as "spiderwick", but the story was few years after "spiderwick". It was called "beyond the spiderwick chronicles". It was also done, in some way, in "uru ages beyond myst".

I actually think it could fit very well to uru. Uru is not directly connected to myst, but it's in the same world of myst. It's not long (unlike "myst online uru live"), but it's also interesting (unlike "uru").

But it seems this game will be called "Uru", because everyone want it that way. I'm fine with that. When I'm not talking to new players, or giving some sort of a speech, I will call this game BMU, just because I like that name. If people as me what is that, I'll tell them it's "uru". Is that so hard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

MRU is a computing acronym, Mystdee. It means Most Recently Used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:35 pm 

The stranger wrote:
The problem with "uru" is that it's not very interesting. As I said before, it says NOTHING about the game, and to people who just hear about the game, it will be just a wierd name.

Does that really matter? Are we going to have a fan advertising drive for an open-source version of a twice-failed game? It makes little sense to think about things from a marketing standpoint.

I'll probably just call it "Uru," since this is what Uru is now. If I need to specify this open source project, OSMOUL's kind of cute, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:38 pm 

I like You are you. URU for short :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:05 pm 

Well, if you don't want a marketing point of view, I'll tell you my little secret:

I like the name "beyond myst:uru".

A shock, isn't it? I don't think we should get into it, as you said. If I like it, I like it. I don't have a way to explain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:07 pm 

OpenURU, Myst: Uru, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, MystOnline, UruLive, UruOnline, Uru goes again, Uru 4: Where's the toilets?, Ururu, ...

So Many names to come up with...

Mystdee wrote:
Uru: Return to D'ni

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Why don't we just stick with calling it MORE. It stands for Myst Online Restoration Experiment. That's just what this is. It's an experimental gaming procedure. Never before has a game company open sourced their engine, server code etc, to its fans, for them to develop and build. That's whats going to happen. Why change the name, it still fits.

I like the two proposals above but let me give you these, mainly because they are ridiculous and stupid. I don't ever expect to see Uru actually named either of these:

Uru Revived: A New Ultimate Story
This one has a great abbreviation: URANUS

Self-Contained Revival Of The Uru Madness
The abbraviation here has a considerable draw back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

:P To IC....LOL ROFL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:49 pm 

Gandhar wrote:
bpgisme wrote:
Quote:
URU Open

I can just see ages with either tennis playing Bahro or a Tiger Bahro beating everyone by ten strokes :roll:

Geez... Whatever. :P

I'm outta the speculation mess. I'm going back to Perfect World to kill some stuff. I'll be back when the URU doors OPEN.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

How about "Fan Run Online Myst - Uru" or FROM-U?

This post inspected by: Maintainer #165
MOULa-Ki: 15763576
GEHN-Ki: 00022090
DI-Ki: 00145074

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:51 pm 

Or how about URU: the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn means the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn means the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn means the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:53 pm 

Kinda like two mirrors facing each other?? or ten divided by three???

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:55 pm 

ddfreyne wrote:
Or how about URU: the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn means the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn means the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn means the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of the Users' Restoration of URU. Which in turn…

YO DAWG I HERD YOU LIKE URU SO WE PUT AN URU IN YO URU SO YOU CAN RESTORE WHILE YOU RESTORE

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next