It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:27 pm 

Marten wrote:
That'll be up to Lynnutte. I personally think it would be best for the GMs to agree upon a time among themselves, there's no way to pick a time that will please the entire community and there's no group more qualified to make such a decision.

8)

Two meetings, for US and EU and vicinity or should we aim for one meeting for all? That would mean very early in the day for you lot on the other side of the pond.

Several Untìl shards + D'mala

Myst Online: 01486640 Uru Obsession

MO:ULagain: #731367

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:04 am 

Ja'de wrote
Quote:
The 20th is my Grand Daughters first Booth sale for Girl Scout Cookies so it would depend on the time. Will the messengers be contacting GM's about this?

Yes. As soon as we get everything nailed down, we will let you know.

Cyd wrote
Quote:
Two meetings, for US and EU and vicinity or should we aim for one meeting for all? That would mean very early in the day for you lot on the other side of the pond.

I would like to aim for one meeting so all ideas, concerns, whatever can be put on the table at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:50 pm 

Keep me in the loop as well if you would. I won't be representing anyone other than myself, but I'd be interested in attending.

Shorah

--Reteltee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:01 pm 

reteltee don't panic everyone is welcome and we mean everyone. We will publicly post the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:42 pm 

Count me in as well (provided it isn't at 3 am GMT) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:42 pm 

For the GoC I think both Church99 and I will be interested. I'll let her know about this thread.

I think Bad's thread has well defined where the community is on the idea. Some are afraid of an Inter-Guild run/controlled shard. Many more see it as a good thing. I personally think it is a good idea. But, then I see the guilds as just a core group of active fans.

/me Looks around for power hungry egomaniacs... sees none... shrugs

Unless there is more information from Cyan, I would suggest delaying the meeting until we have more hard information. Unless there are people with knowledge of what the state of the client/server/tools software is that we will be getting.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:17 pm 

I agree that we need to hold off making a definate date until we here Cyan. No sense meeting until we all know what we need to talk about.
When we do have the meeting, what I would like to do is for the first half of the meeting, have the guild people discuss all the guild related things,ideas, suggestions, whatever. The second half of the meeting I would like to open the floor to anyone, guild member or not, to discuss ideas, suggestions, comments, whatever.
If anyone has a problem or a suggestion regarding how to run the meeting, please let me know.
Thank you

P.S. To clarify, just because you are not a guild member, it does not mean you can not attend the first part of the meeting. You are more than welcome to attend. In fact I encourage it.

Edit: Can we possibly make this meeting any more open or transparent?

Post subject: Count me in
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes I am definately interested!

I will be awaiting word- if able- I will definately be there.
If I am not able to attend- then I will be waiting anxiousally for the briefing of what happened! :)

I think this is a great idea- and WOOT!! :wink:
(so excited!)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd be interested in discussing the GoA's role in all of this with folks... it's strange times ahead for canon and fanon, and that might necessitate a somewhat different distribution of responsibilities compared to what we had in MOUL and would have had in MORE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:36 am 

If all the guilds are agreeable to it, I propose we use the GoMe chatroom http://embed.mibbit.com/?customprompt=W ... stlore.com to host the meeting. I suggest this because there is no need to register or download anything. I also propse we postpone the meeting until we hear more from Cyan. Unless you think there is business we can cover and get out of the way now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:20 pm 

I think for now following the conversations in the forums and listening to the fan base will best prepare us for the meeting.

Watching for miss information in the forums and correcting it as we find it will likely somewhat reduce what we have to handle at an Inter-Guild meeting. This idea that the guilds want to control all of the ages everywhere is ridiculous. It keeps coming up. I think Martin, Alahmnat, and others have been doing a good job of knocking those ideas down.

I do think GoW and GoMa could prepare a basic statement of intent for any shards they hope to setup and run. By each guild deciding internally what they want and are thinking it will make deciding what an Inter-Guild shard will look like much easier. Break the work nto smaller groups for faster decisions. In the meeting it will be easier to ID points of agreement and disagreement and reduce work.

Decide basic things. Like perhaps the GoMa may decide to run a limited access shard JUST for testing ages prior to release to public shards. We already know some writers are sensitive about putting early work out. We know some bugs can crash servers. There are some problems with going from single player testing to multiplayer testing. All practical reasons for having a limited access test shard. Plus beta testers need to be trained. Access control is the only way I see enforce training standards. Others may want to participate in such a shard and help support it. GoMa deciding if there are to be any limitations imposed will help guilds and fans decide.

The GoW could state if they hope to run a public shard or only participate in a testing shard. If a public one, will they require ages there to be child friendly and extended cannon with FACL style storylines? I think that is within their right. Whatever they think is good for them is up to them. Consideration of what the community wants is a matter of shard operators’ choice. Having a starting point should help things move faster.

I suggest any statements by a guild also include a clear declaration the guild is open to suggestions and while this statement is their present intention, they are open to change. Also, that they have no intention to withhold technical support or in any way limit what other shards do. I think this will go a long toward uniting the community and giving us a starting place. It also gives us something to do and a good starting place for a meeting.

I think all of this is obvious. But to many it is not. So, I see doing these things are creating working tools for discussion and giving those less framilar with the guilds insight into the guilds.

It is also important to get some clarity on what Cyan's data server is to be. I think they are offering a server for the download of Cyan content and code. I think it is that downloaded data that will then be used to setup separate servers/shards. I do not see Cyan controlling logon and vault (AV info) data. I don't know this, I just suspect. I would hope before the meeting we know this is either true or false. I think this issue will settle the control fears or raise them to new levels.

Also, there are going to be issues that come up. For instance to push this 'issue idea' and make it more real, what if someone decides to create a red-light district age... (I do not want such an age in Uru - but considering such an age will push the most people's buttons) ...will GoMa be open to testing it? What about those GoMa members that do not want to go into such an age? Will they be required to in the interest of... tolerance? How would GoMa coerce members to test such an age, is coercion even possible (I doubt anyone I know at GoMa would try coercion), how do we give GoMa members AND age writers with less popular tastes freedom of choice and not infringe on individual freedom?

Since Uru is open source and anyone can run a shard with its own ages, data, AV's, login server, etc. I see everyone as being free to do whatever they want. I do not see that GoW or GoMa or GoA or even and Inter-Guild Coalition need to allow every age into their shard. I think it is perfectly fair that what they work to build, fit with their vision of what they want a future Uru to look like. Any concessions they make to the greater fan base is a matter of their graciousness and sense of openness and fairness. If I don’t like what they build, I’m free to build my own universe. I can have a D'ni universe where every thing is square and has coordinate girds so its easy to map...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:21 pm 

I think much good discussion is occuring but to me it is more and more clear that we need at least one or some pure canon shards or servers that only add technical improvments but NO new content unless it is totally within canon lines and Cyan approved or lisenced. I think that will be the key to a balanced revival and evolution of URU MOUL. I do not want Second LIfe URU and i think many agree.

I think the Guilds are a natural to help coordinate things for that core pure stream.....and to help wiith others as the evolve.

Maybe in time protocols will develop that allow new Ages and new content to be created for spin off directions...but i expect many want to keep to the main story line and the main intent of the game and that will be very important to protect. I know that if that does not happen, ie. if there is not a pure place to continue MOUL i will leave.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Lynnutte has a fantastic idea!!

I vote for this weekend....perhaps a Saturday morning or Sunday morning? 8 am Pacific time would be 5 pm GMT, and so any time between 8 am Pacific start time, or an 11 am Pacific start time would be fairly convenient for everyone, except those in New Zealand or McMurdo Station.
A chat room could work....as it is easiest to organize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 am 

Lynutte - Wonderful to hear from you and know that you are still out there pulling the Cavern community together on issues like this. This kind of positive action is exactly what our community needs right now, and I believe it is fundamental to the growth of our community as a whole. Keep up the good work; when we do good work, we see our dreams to fruition. I completely agree with the AG meeting and will be attending if possible. Again, you have my thanks.

Ret- I would be thrilled to have you attend this meeting with us. After all, you were our appointed GA in the Cavern, and as far as I am concerned, you still are. Hope to see you there.

CJ - I think you pretty much said everything that was in my mind concerning cannon and the continuation of our journey. The storyline of URU MUST be kept pure(that is, at least pure enough that the newly gathered will be able to experience the same feel for the game that others have.) I surely would be disappointed to see a run-a-muck Second Life type URU where there is no cannon and "anything goes". Yes, the URU journey could have any number of, finite or infinite(whichever you see fit), possibile outcomes; but it is the core history of the original journey that continues to drive this restoration effort forward. Surely, we would not be here now, at the crossroads, if it were not for the story of Yeesha, the Bahro, and the D'ni. Their journey ultimately gave birth to ours - we must never forget the past; for within it lies our humble beginnings. I feel that, when all things are considered and settled upon, that this will be the majority view in the community. So perhaps it would be best to have a server or two dedicated(perhaps by Cyan or Cyan appointed fans) to the pure core stream of the URU journey, and of course that is where I would reside. :idea: The guilds will definitely prove a useful tool in the nurturing of a proposed pure core stream of URU as well as the additional areas; and I feel that it is a responsibility that they do so when necessary. Keep up the good work; we need you here. If we continue this journey with focused minds and helping hands, as we have done in the past and are doing now, who knows what new paths we may stumble upon - just remember, for every glorious ending there is always a new beginning.

From the Depths Of D'ni,

Stranger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:24 am 

Quick word about GoMa:

We really would prefer to have a little more detail from Cyan before making decisions and announcements on servers and shards. At the moment, we are listening, both to Cyan and the rest of the community, and ready to serve in whatever capacity we can. After all, it is still less than a week since the news first emerged!

The other thing I would like to say is that the Guild of Maintainers is wholeheartedly behind Cyan's efforts and those of the whole community, whether they are in a guild or not. So, for example, if an independent developer of an age would like us to work with them, the fact that they are not part of the GoW is not an obstacle.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next